Most ignorant questions or comments

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
why

You can't really expect people working at pet shops to know scientific names of spiders, birds, snakes, fish, or anything else, for that matter.

why cant we? I think if we go into a pet shop the people we buy from should know what they are selling. we expect our car salesman to know about the car we want to buy so why shouldnt the pet salesman know about the pet we buy.
not expecting them to know anything is why they dont know anything if we hold them to higher standards the have to meet them. If we complain enough to "home office" eventually they will have to listen!:?

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The most common things I hear are:

defanged, can they jump, Why dont i just keep them together and just why do i keep them. i don't usually bring up i have t's unless i think the person has some knowledge and wont just be totally ignorant.

I dont think lps employees need to know names, but at least one of them should know the proper care and all lfs employees should at least personally keep something and not just be some kid that knows nothing that needed a job.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
why cant we? I think if we go into a pet shop the people we buy from should know what they are selling. we expect our car salesman to know about the car we want to buy so why shouldnt the pet salesman know about the pet we buy.
not expecting them to know anything is why they dont know anything if we hold them to higher standards the have to meet them. If we complain enough to "home office" eventually they will have to listen!:?
Do YOU know the binomial name for every animal the average petstore carries? Can you spell them and pronounce them properly? Do you know the common names as well? Because 80%+ of the people that come in a petstore won't even know what a binomial name is. You really can't expect every empolyee of every store to know the binomial name for every species when only a small percentage of people will even care. Further, how many people here on these boards even support their local petstore? Why would they learn information for people who won't even support their business?

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do YOU know the binomial name for every animal the average petstore carries? Can you spell them and pronounce them properly? Do you know the common names as well? Because 80%+ of the people that come in a petstore won't even know what a binomial name is. You really can't expect every empolyee of every store to know the binomial name for every species when only a small percentage of people will even care. Further, how many people here on these boards even support their local petstore? Why would they learn information for people who won't even support their business?
and another ruined thread..... I unsubscribed!

Added:

Sorry flame, I didn't mean to point it directly to you. It's just this is how every one of these threads ends up ruined.

Last edited:

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
Do I work at a pet store? No... When I have a job selling something I make It my buisness to know what I am selling as should everyone else. Stupidity is not an excuse ! ignorance is not an excuse. If pet store employees knew what they were selling maybe we as a group would be more willing to support the local pet store that sold tarantulas. You missed the point ! If pet store employees cared more about their job then we would care more about the pet store.....:?

Petco carries what 1 type of tarantula... too much to ask that they know about it...I dont think so

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do I work at a pet store? No... When I have a job selling something I make It my buisness to know what I am selling as should everyone else. Stupidity is not an excuse ! ignorance is not an excuse. If pet store employees knew what they were selling maybe we as a group would be more willing to support the local pet store that sold tarantulas. You missed the point ! If pet store employees cared more about their job then we would care more about the pet store.....:?

Petco carries what 1 type of tarantula... too much to ask that they know about it...I dont think so
PM sent, now back to the topic at hand.

"Does that one bite?" says my visiting mother while pointing at an OBT...

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can't really expect people working at pet shops to know scientific names of spiders, birds, snakes, fish, or anything else, for that matter.

if you hold them to higher standards you will have to pay better than minimum wage most are not willing to learn for 8 bucks an hour, and i would not expect them to know more than they are spiders for 8 bucks an hour!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you hold them to higher standards you will have to pay better than minimum wage most are not willing to learn for 8 bucks an hour, and i would not expect them to know more than they are spiders for 8 bucks an hour!
this is exactly where the problem lies. petstores hire college students and pay them scarcely better than minimum wage, most of these positions are "dead end jobs". they have absolutely no reason to learn about the animals above and beyond what their employer deems necessary, unless it is a personal interest to them.

i don't get paid jack, and i've worked at my job four years and have actually learned above and beyond what i should know (especially as far an inverts and aquatics go, which aren't even sold at my store) , but thats the way the buisness works, it's about money making (not the animals) when you get to the heart of it. which is really sad, and often creates ethical dilemmas (at least, in my experience).

trust me, i work at a pet store. i see this around me every day, all the time... :wall::wall::wall:

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Koh and Hobo...I did get my fellow Canadians mixed up...:? Probably cause I was looking at picture threads first...haha.

I know a guy (who I dont talk spiders with), because he is in the pest control business. But his van has a giant "black widow" looking spider on it. Which of course pisses me off due to the fact there are other "pests" that he deals with much more often ie rats, mice, hornets. But I think they use the spider image to induce fear...that bothers me, not just because its a spider, but it misrepresents what he actually does most of the time.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does the pet shop guy work on commission?

Does the car lot hire teenagers and pay them minimum wage?

There are clear and obvious differences between those two jobs, and the comparison doesn't make any sense to me. Pet shops aren't specialty shops - go to a specialty shop and they can tell you scientific names and give accurate information.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
slightly offtopic, the store i worked at tried commissioned bonuses here. it backfired, some people we had working here were more willing to dish misinfo to make sales and in the end we had some really unhappy customers.

i've seen some appaling things here, but the blatant lies (some that were occasionally dangerous) i heard during that period definitely took the cake.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"Do you race them?"

I asked her to rephrase because she might have said "raise" and I misheard, but no. Race. The girl who asked was pretty slow in general, though. Besides that, my sister asked if I was going to mate them and that conversation led to the revelation that she has embarassingly little knowledge about biology. Much like the girl Anubis77 mentioned.

Last edited:

popcangenie

Arachnosquire

Does the car lot hire teenagers and pay them minimum wage?

There are clear and obvious differences between those two jobs, and the comparison doesn't make any sense to me. Pet shops aren't specialty shops - go to a specialty shop and they can tell you scientific names and give accurate information.

see im lucky where i live i have store that ONLY SELLS EXOTICS and the people there need to know there animals or they will work in the back scooping crickets

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I went into a pet store once to look at Ts and scorps a guy decided to show me a scorpion. He got it out and it stung him which caused him to drop it about 5 foot. Then he put it back in the tank, knocking the lid off, which fell down and hit the scorpion. It thrashed around a little...He said "guess this one's gonna be on discount".
Then another time when I was just starting out someone who "knew what they were talking about" sold me a Haplopelma sp. as an A. Seemani.

QuantumGears

Arachnopeon
Misinformed individuals

I've had to explain to quite a few people that tarantulas aren't "defanged". I had to argue with one of my roommates friends(Math major) who insisted that all tarantulas were "defanged" by U.S. law. {D

I usually like to answer and correct people as it spreads knowledge about the hobby and makes people realize that tarantulas aren't evil dangerous creatures. I do it in a nice way though. Like with the above situation in the preceding paragraph I would say "Actually whats interesting is...xyzxx" just so I don't sound snobby or stuck up.:)

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"What if they have babies, then you'll have hundreds of spiders around your house that you can't control!!!"

All i answer is:

"What if you have babies, all by yourself too?"

Jesus!

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
- Wow do they walk around ur house (seriously how can one be stupid enough to think this????????)

- Ehr are they all together in one cage???

- What if the escape and go in ur bed....

- - I don't get what u like about them!
* shall i tell u?
- nah, they are stupid......

- I won't let my husband have a spider, because we have not enough space (yeah right)

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I'm extremely worried about Petco nowadays. One T was in a death curl. It was under this REALLY hot lamp that kept the whole area around the tank warm. The water was almost empty but had a cotton ball in it. Even worse, instead of using coco fiber, they used husk >_>. To myself, I just thought, "YOU @#$S! JUST WALK # STEPS AND TAKE A BRICK OF ECO-EARTH!!!" Anyways, I told the guy, "Shouldn't you put that thing in an ICU?" Then, this is what he said-
"Don't worry. It's able to see perfectly fine. Right now, it's molting."
"No, man, that thing's dead. It's in a death curl."
"When they're dead, they're on their backs. I know because it happens to our tarantulas all the time."
"Why do you have it under that light?"
"Oh, this tarantula lives in the desert. It needs to be very hot."
It was a G. Rosea.

I don't really blame people that don't know something and admit it, but when they think they know things and can fool someone that's probably dumber than they are for believing them (that wasn't the case this time), that's when I get ticked off.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"No, man, that thing's dead. It's in a death curl."
"When they're dead, they're on their backs. I know because it happens to our tarantulas all the time."
Did you explain to the guy that he was wrong and ask him to leave the next one that flips to prove that it's molting and not dead?

If you don't want to deal with it, PM me the guy's name and the phone number of the store and I'll call them.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Did you explain to the guy that he was wrong and ask him to leave the next one that flips to prove that it's molting and not dead?

If you don't want to deal with it, PM me the guy's name and the phone number of the store and I'll call them.
No, I'll deal with it. I'm going back there to tell that guy straight.