Most ignorant questions or comments

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, here's one new that I just read about today... and it is something perpetuated even here. Mor of a rumor or urban legend though.

Superglue was "meant" for sealing up wounds = False.

Cyanoacrylates were invented in 1942 by Dr. Harry Coover and Fred Joyner of Kodak Laboratories during experiments to make a special extra-clear plastic suitable for gun sights. Although not appropriate for the gun sights, they did find that cyanoacrylates would glue together many materials with incredible strength and quick action. Seeing possibilities for a new adhesive, Kodak developed "Eastman #910" (later "Eastman 910") a few years later as the first true "super glue." Others have followed, including Super Glue and Krazy Glue.

There are urban legends about the first usages of Cyanoacrylates being on the battle fields to close soldiers' wounds.

I finally got the gumption to look that up after I read it here so many times.

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i usually get the normal questions but ultimately i get the same comment which is "you need help"

also yall should quit hatin on pet stores, not all of them are like that, i am an employee at an independent pet store, we are all knowledgeable, if we dont know much about a specific animal we send em to someone who does, main thing we tell ppl to do before buying anything is to do research, we have no problem saying i dont know if we are not positive, we are against impulse buying, our prices are tons better then any chain store, we carry tons of tarantulas with prices the same as reputable breeders or better, we are totally honest with customers and so is the owner.

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i usually get the normal questions but ultimately i get the same comment which is "you need help"

also yall should quit hatin on pet stores, not all of them are like that, i am an employee at an independent pet store, we are all knowledgeable, if we dont know much about a specific animal we send em to someone who does, main thing we tell ppl to do before buying anything is to do research, we have no problem saying i dont know if we are not positive, we are against impulse buying, our prices are tons better then any chain store, we carry tons of tarantulas with prices the same as reputable breeders or better, we are totally honest with customers and so is the owner.
I understand where you are coming from and if I were in your shoes, I would get a little frustrated. Unfortunately there are more pet stores that do not know enough about what they keep than do, and sadly it gives petstores a bad name. There is a great store that keeps all kinds of chiclids and that is where I go for real info about my fish. I wish more places were like that but it's not, ya know just about the all mighty dollar. :(

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
also yall should quit hatin on pet stores, not all of them are like that...
Yeah, I'm surprised at some of the comments by some usually pretty smart people here concerning pet store employees (considering there's got to be quite a few members here such as yourself that do work/have worked at pet stores). I do agree that there are many pet store employees that do say some pretty amazing(to be polite) things but to make blanket statements that all of them are lacking in the IQ department is just rude/offensive/insensitive to those that aren't.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lo, and behold, it just so happened that the Discovery Channel showed him the light to his first T. Well, I had just started to get out the phrase "That is the most absurd thing I've ever h......." when my 5-year old son interrupted me and said "Pokies are better!!!!" :p
I went In to a LPS, to buy a coast rican tiger rump( Cyclosternum fasciatum) that they just got in,,and i saw in a KK they had a OBT,,but just to make sure i asked "what kind of Baboon tarantula is that?"
and the guy replied "oh its not a baboon, its the "Golden" phase Tiger Rump.,,its just a Lil more aggressive.
*Currently in stitches* {D

Is your son passive-aggressive or what?

I feel like if it's not directly affecting the way you live, what business is it of yours what I have at my house?
I agree. None of us here need "saving." Unless you start going in debt from buying too many. I would not tell any of my neighbors what I had when I get my tarantulas. A girl my sister's friends with had seen our chinchilla and asked her mom for one. The mother replied, "No, they're illegal here." :wall:

We have an H. gigas, and they can swim. One of the only ones as far as I know. We made ours a semi aquatic enclosure and she loves it, goes swimming in there and catches fish.
I know. That's one on my list. But first I have to get the top 2 that are on there. Plus, I want to get a terrarium to make a little pond for a H. gigas.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yesterday my friend, her bf and I were talking about my tarantulas. She goes "did you know that tarantulas aren't arachnids?" I said "no, they are, but they're not true spiders." then she goes "yeah, they're not spiders" I said "yes, they are spiders, but not true spiders." then her boyfriend goes "oh, because they don't spin web right?" :wall: {D At least in the end they listened to my correct information. It's funny that people will tell you what they know about a subject, even though it's completely wrong, instead of asking questions.

(bumping this thread because I don't want to start a new one)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me: That pink toe is a mature male and doesn't have long to live. It won't make it through it's next molt.
Petco employee: I'll check into it
Me: Are you gonna label it as a male?
Petco employee: We don't sell them as males or females, we sell them as tarantulas.

This was after I had told that guy 3 or 4 times over the span of three weeks.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me: That pink toe is a mature male and doesn't have long to live. It won't make it through it's next molt.
Petco employee: I'll check into it
Me: Are you gonna label it as a male?
Petco employee: We don't sell them as males or females, we sell them as tarantulas.

This was after I had told that guy 3 or 4 times over the span of three weeks.
What could possibly be said about this beyond "Ignorance is bliss! Stupidity is bovine!"

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
"Aren't you afraid that if there's an earthquake, all the tarantula cages will fall and break, and they'll all escape and attack you??!"

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"Aren't you afraid that if there's an earthquake, all the tarantula cages will fall and break, and they'll all escape and attack you??!"
haha koh...who asked you that?
I only worry that during an earthquake they may get rocked off the shelf and be injured/killed in heavy glass aquariums.

Mine
"Don't lots of people get killed each year from those things?"
and
"If I come to your house I'll step on all of them"
or my fave which I've got from more than one person...
"Hey, I found a spider in my bathroom this morning...and I killed it!" said as though it'll push my buttons. Like when meat eaters loudly proclaim their love for bacon if they find out you dont eat meat. It's lame.

Last edited:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Conversation moments ago with my co-worker:

Coworker: Aw, that looks like a nice one, my cousin lets me hold that kind when I go to his house.
Me: She's as nasty as they come.
Coworker: Why, she looks sweet?
Me: That's an H. lividum, and she's stereotypical of her species.
Coworker: Oh really? I thought it was a widow.
Me: I doubt your cousin lets you hold his widow.
Coworker: Well, it's some kind of spider that looks like yours. Maybe it was a tarantula.
Me: There's over 900 species of tarantulas, I still doubt it was an H. lividum.
Coworker: Oh, so the species is mean, but not your spider 'cause she looks to cute to be mean.

Last edited:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Quote from one heckuva superstitious "old-school" neighbor awhile back- "Terreh, why you beez playin wit da debba chirrens an lookin at dem booidz an stuff!?" {D{D

Terry

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im so glad this thread got bumped, lol.

So once this girl asked me:

"When a tarantula falls they shatter like glass right?"

She was being 100% serious. All I could do was stare and shake my head.

Helix

Arachnopeon
This statement is just infuriating..and arrogant..
People usually say to me a milder version of this when I talk about tarantulas, that they would step on Ts if they saw them somewhere outside..
So I ask those people, do they maybe want me to step on them right now.
I hate such ignorant people...

"When a tarantula falls they shatter like glass right?"
Yeah...and if you get them warm enough, then they pull back together just like terminator...

Some of mine..
"What are you doing with them?"
"Do you make them fight each other?"

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
This statement is just infuriating..and arrogant..
People usually say to me a milder version of this when I talk about tarantulas, that they would step on Ts if they saw them somewhere outside..
So I ask those people, do they maybe want me to step on them right now.
I hate such ignorant people...
Tell them that you'll kick their cat if you see it outside - - - same thing.

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
My husband & I do presentations with our Ts, scorpions & snakes (sometimes birds too) & we get alot of know it alls. Its so entertaining to have them do their talk to us & others around them & then present them with the facts to each of their myths they just told us about. "When I was in the war, there were tarantulas 2 feet wide" & so on. Whatever.......

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it's important to be kind to people.

If you go around with the attitude that most people in the world are stupid, and if you are constantly in search of the newest shocking stupidity, that's pretty much what you'll find.

Everybody is stupid sometimes. Everybody has their areas of ignorance.

Personally, I take great pleasure in talking to people about my pets.

Last week I had the luck to be able to substitute teach a second grade class for an entire week. The regular teacher had a family emergency, so I ended up responsible for *all* the lesson plans. I brought my small collection in, which burned up some major classroom time. :D They definitely earned their crickets.

There was one little girl who started the week arachnophobic, and on Friday afternoon, told me, "Bolt (my a.avic) is so cute! I just want to squeeze him! I know you can't...of course...but you know what I mean, he's so cuuuute!"

Most people don't get to have this girl's experience at a formative age.

As for pet stores, it's their managers who should be judged more than the clerks. No clerks in any store are adequately trained, because management doesn't want to burn money on training. I have found this to be generally true, no matter what the industry. The clerks are directed to perform certain tasks in a certain way. By the time they leave work, after a day of ringing people up and straightening shelves and cleaning up dog poo, they have their own lives and families to deal with.

It's awful for the animals not to be taken care of properly, but I'm not sure that copping a superior attitude to people who have to obey orders to earn their daily bread is the solution. If animals are being mistreated, the people to talk to are the managers.
^I like this, especially the first paragraph.

Not exactly a comment or remark, rather a semi-retarded sales pitch some old guy tried to sell me, when I was looking around in his petstore - after I had mentioned that I keep spiders.

I didn't know how to react other than I was speechless. For a second I thought he was joking - but no.
Why don't yours have one? Mine all LOVE theirs;sometimes they spin 2 or 3 at a time, holding each others' feet:D

This kinda stuff makes me angry.Especially when you have pet stores mislabling things like seemani's as Haplopelma.People at pet stores should be required by law to know all proper care and info for everything they sell!
Better than the other way around, dontcha think?;)

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
haha koh...who asked you that?
I only worry that during an earthquake they may get rocked off the shelf and be injured/killed in heavy glass aquariums.

Mine
"Don't lots of people get killed each year from those things?"
and
or my fave which I've got from more than one person...
"Hey, I found a spider in my bathroom this morning...and I killed it!" said as though it'll push my buttons. Like when meat eaters loudly proclaim their love for bacon if they find out you dont eat meat. It's lame.
hi bcscorp
are you talking to me? or is hobo's name Koh? lol:eek:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
hi bcscorp
are you talking to me? or is hobo's name Koh? lol:eek:
HAha.. Bcscorp's got his Canadians crossed!

Also, yeah, I get a lot of "You know, X people die every year from tarantula bites, I saw it on the news/internet/TV/discovery channel"
I'm all for educating, but it infuriates me when people think they know so much that they feel the need to teach others these little gems.

I think stuff like this video here, for example, are to blame. While quite informative and interesting, it pulls something really stupid at the very end, which I can totally see as spawning more "tarantulas are deadly" nonesense.

LuvRottweilers

Arachnopeon
I have the all time dumb 1 winner-I sold a baby teratoscincus karselingi to a guy-took deposit-then he asked when it would be finished breast feeding so he could take it home!! And he had to ask just as I took a drag off a cigarette-thought I was gonna choke to death