Most ignorant questions or comments

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Even before I didn't know all of this stuff about T's I never asked questions like these or comments, probably because I just plain ole' loved biology. What are some of the things people have said or asked that made you roll your eyes(pet stores too)?

Aren't T's poisonous?
Don't T's like jump way in the air?
What do you feed them? (small children) LOL
What's molting mean? Apparently, they never had science.

etc.....

raveinchris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I ask do you know what species this is?
Pet store employee reply:I dont know and dont care to find out there just bugs.:mad:

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Tarantulas never bite me *pokes juvi H. Mac with finger* I know for a fact that their venom doesn't do anything significant." -Reptile store sales clerk

I hope she gets bit...

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
"Tarantulas never bite me *pokes juvi H. Mac with finger* I know for a fact that their venom doesn't do anything significant." -Reptile store sales clerk

I hope she gets bit...
LOL wth that is hillarious.

To the OP: If you want some other fun search somethin like "Funny things at pet stores" and there is a pretty nice and long thread that is amazing

//Tiago

Autumnvicky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Me: There are three types of tarantulas. Arboreal, terrestrial, and burrowing types.
Pet Store clerk: What's an arboreal? ( This being the same person that sold me my pink toe tarantula. )
Me: Tree dwelling species.
Clerk: Ah.

Me: Where's the water dish?
Clerk: The tarantulas don't need a water dish, they just suck moisture out of the sponge!

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've lost count of the times people have asked if I've had my Ts de-fanged for "safety"! The blank looks you recieve when you then ask how it would catch it's food are pretty comical.

blix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This took place last week after I had bought some crickets from a petshop:

Me: "I'll take some of those."

Store manager: "Nice, what do you use them for?"

Me: "To feed my tarantulas."

Storage manager: "Ok. Listen, you can easily just drop all 20 crickets down with the spider, because they can coexist. Then you don't have to worry about feeding the spider for some months.

Me: "... Ok, I gotta go!"

cityzooguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol

"ok gotta go!"
thats funny.

the one question that people ask me is "can they be in the same tank?" I get this question all the time! I think it is only second to "what do they eat?"

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Even before I didn't know all of this stuff about T's I never asked questions like these or comments, probably because I just plain ole' loved biology. What are some of the things people have said or asked that made you roll your eyes(pet stores too)?

Aren't T's poisonous?
Don't T's like jump way in the air?
What do you feed them? (small children) LOL
What's molting mean? Apparently, they never had science.

etc.....
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think any of those questions are terribly ignorant. I wouldn't roll my eyes at them.

We can argue the difference between poisonous and venomous all day.. but the point of the question is the same. What we feed them and the topic of molting are normal questions and not very ignorant IMO.

Eric

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I get a lot of 'what do you keep them in?' and 'do you keep them together?', but I don't really think those are stupid questions. And with those, or even the 'are they poisonous?' questions, I use it as an opportunity to teach them something. Not many people know the difference between poison and venom, so to be able to explain that to them and know that you taught them something is pretty cool.

I get questions about life expectancy, egg quantity, feeding, handling, biting, etc. all the time. I love it. :D

--Joe

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I was buying my first T set up it was amazing how many times they tried to tell me I was wrong and every T is desert dwelling and that I needed a desert enclosure not tropical. This is at petland where they carry Cabolts.

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think any of those questions are terribly ignorant. I wouldn't roll my eyes at them.

We can argue the difference between poisonous and venomous all day.. but the point of the question is the same. What we feed them and the topic of molting are normal questions and not very ignorant IMO.

Eric
I'm only thinking ignorance in the since that they truly haven't heard, read, seen, or done ANY research even out of curiosity. Not ignorance like they are stupid. I don't directly roll my eyes AT them only behind their backs {D

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually told my mother once how venomous my Pokies are, when she was visiting me. Basicly I had to do it, because she wouldn't listen to me when I told her to leave the enclosures alone, when she was doing the housecleaning she always finds necessary to do. {D

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
An older woman I work with keeps insisting that T's can be defanged and "poison sacks removed" (what like a skunk is descented...?). She told me a story that happened recently at an apartment building her relative lived at, where a woman's T's got out and they fumigated the entire building because they "weren't defanged". All I could think of was ugh.... all that time and money and energy ... and all those beautiful T's.. gone now..

She also insists that her son's T was bought defanged but she made him return it to the pet store. Every time I tell her it probably wasn't, she says her son wouldn't lie to her. Yeah ok, very trusting, lol

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Funny thing is, you don't even need to tell her it 'probably' wasn't. It wasn't, period. ;)

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She also insists that her son's T was bought defanged but she made him return it to the pet store. Every time I tell her it probably wasn't, she says her son wouldn't lie to her. Yeah ok, very trusting, lol
Bet he told her that in a futile effort to let her allow him to keep it :D .

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Someone once told me that the deadliest spider in the world was a common cobweb spider... aka the cellar spider.

I gave them a very blank look.

Then they pointed to a harvestman.

*facepalms*

As for tarantulas the folks at Petco insisted the one my brother got was a female. I have yet to attempt to sex it since I still have that 'ITS A SPIDER!' fear thing I am working through. To help this, I have been catching wolf spiders in jars, and keeping them and feeding them. I had about 20 last night in total, and today I let them all go. Except the one I though drowned in the sink, which was suddenly alive today.

A funny thing is, I have watched the wolf spiders actually biting the small bits of wet cloth I keep in their jars, along with the cap-dish that I keep a few drops of water in.

I still won't touch a wolf spider though. I'm a bit more apprehensive of them than the rose. Additionally, I was once told than wolf spiders could have a bite as bad as a brown recluse, which I already knew at the time was total bull. However I did confirm that if you shine a flashlight at them and get the right angle, their eyes reflect the light, and I am thoroughly convinced they are plotting to take over my room.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cassandra works with this woman who told her that it was unhealthy of her to keep T's and scorps. Cass is a nice person, but she tore that woman a new one, that's for sure. She's only really been in the hobby for 5 months, but she cannot believe how people judge her for what she chooses to keep as pets. I don't mind answering people's questions, but the question I hate the most is "why would you keep those things". I'm sure a lot of you get that too.

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh hey, I have an ignorant question of my own for this topic.

Are there any tarantulas that can swim, or go under water? Bubbles on the book lungs, etc.