Looking to get my first, but also mildly arachnophobic

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It just molted again, so I hope that the reboot will initiate the proper behavior sequence and it becomes the puppy dog everyone else's is!
My hamorii turned psycho after her second moult with me. If anything, she's only gotten nastier with subsequent moults :rofl:

IDK why but they look so funny in treat posture. I can't help but laugh.
Enjoy :rofl::rofl::rofl:
DSC00002 (2).JPG have at you.png DSC00004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
A.chalcodes….all American spooder!!!.She don't run,she don't hide.If G.pulchra is the black lab of the T,s,
shes the yellow lab.Individual results may vary.

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Says the guy with a room ful of broken ts that all seem to act opposite of the norm...haha
They're not broken, they just refuse to conform to outdated behavioural stereotypes and they're all the more entertaining for it.

I am going to throw this second cam at your face if it's a repeat of the last one though :troll:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Brachypelma Albopilosum juvie fem was my 1st T. She was gentle and calm.
Then she hit puberty! OMG, what a drama queen!
I just stuffed her with crickets, which made her get outta That Phase faster. I can see the old timers rolling their eyes, but guys, it was self defense!
Luckily she had already tamped down my arachnophobia.
You'll be fine. Take it slow. Always keep a catch cup and long tweezers and a brush nearby. You won't have to handle at any time .
Welcome.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Aphonpelma Chalcodes are nice but they sometimes go hunger strikes - mine hasn't eaten in about a year. So don't be surprised by that if you get one.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I mean is it even possible to own a pet and at the same time be mildly afraid of it? Lol. Well afraid is a strong word let's say I strongly respect their space. I've been doing alot of research into tarantulas and have watched more care videos on YouTube than I care to admit and I've gone from "I never want a pet spider in my house" to "OK these things are super cool maybe I want a tarantula". I'm very interested in the Aphonpelma Chalcodes. Mainly because of their seemly mild temperament and slow movement speed. Plus Lets be honest they are flipping beautiful. I don't know maybe my fascination of these creatures is slowly dismantling my fear of them but we all know how that old saying about curiosity goes.. So I'd like to know your opinion. We're you fearful of them but were still able to care for them properly? Is there a different species you would recommend above the Aphonpelma for someone like me? Thanks in advance!
I was the opposit, already as a child i was intrigued by spiders! Spending my childhood in our cellar feeding housespiders (Tegenaria) i liked al kinds of bugs, and that was the good thing of growing up in the countryside!
A chalcodes is a great choice, as with the other people mentioned! Even normally calm speicies can be defenssive. Like in many other areas, there are exeptions to the rule! Many years ago i had an A seemanni that was plain agressive! But i suggest A chalcodes, B albopilosum or some other Brachypelma! Good luck!

Last edited:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I mean is it even possible to own a pet and at the same time be mildly afraid of it? Lol. Well afraid is a strong word let's say I strongly respect their space. I've been doing alot of research into tarantulas and have watched more care videos on YouTube than I care to admit and I've gone from "I never want a pet spider in my house" to "OK these things are super cool maybe I want a tarantula". I'm very interested in the Aphonpelma Chalcodes. Mainly because of their seemly mild temperament and slow movement speed. Plus Lets be honest they are flipping beautiful. I don't know maybe my fascination of these creatures is slowly dismantling my fear of them but we all know how that old saying about curiosity goes.. So I'd like to know your opinion. We're you fearful of them but were still able to care for them properly? Is there a different species you would recommend above the Aphonpelma for someone like me? Thanks in advance!
1st a lot of people in the hobby only started because of a fear of spiders. 2nd the A. Chalcodes is a good starter but I recommend the Grammostola Pulchripes only because that was my 1st it's slow moving great eater and is nearly always out in the open, although as I write this it has sealed itself off in its hide so must be due a moult. I'm sure there are plenty more species that you will like and you will get a lot of suggestions on here all I can say is for now only look at new world terrestrial species as these tend to be the best starter specimens for new keepers, and also start clearing some space because you have just entered the most addictive hobby in the world in my opinion lol. So good luck welcome to the boards and forget anything else you have read or watched on the Internet as this is the only place to get some real info on our arachnid friends

BrokenLegBaboon

Arachnosquire
By being mildly aracnophobic does this include being afraid of huntsman spiders? Because I orginally started the hobby because I wanted to cure my “phobia” but 50+ Ts later and I am still hella scared of huntsmans lol. Especially the males, damn 8 legged ferrari..... :anxious:

Justin H

Arachnosquire
Hey J,

I've also experienced arachnophobia quite a bit. I started to lose it when I was forced to work in a basement full of spiders, and now I've almost completely lost it after owning a tarantula for awhile. My fear has been turning into fascination the more I get used to them.

My first feeding was pretty bad... I was lowering a mealworm into the enclosure, and my B. albopilosum sling came bolting out of the darkness to attack it. I threw the tongs! I felt so stupid... I could have easily killed her, and I lost the mealworm. I rehoused her and switched to crickets. It only took a few feedings to start to feel more comfortable.

By being mildly aracnophobic does this include being afraid of huntsman spiders? Because I orginally started the hobby because I wanted to cure my “phobia” but 50+ Ts later and I am still hella scared of huntsmans lol. Especially the males, damn 8 legged ferrari..... :anxious:
I totally agree. Some true spiders still freak me out a bit. We had a wolf spider infestation ~10 years ago. It was not fun at all.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Most huntsman are really bolty, But H. davidbowie and especially Holconia immanis are pretty chill. Although H. immanis get huge for a true spider, a T owner shouldn't be freaked by them.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
I have an A. Chalcodes (my first & only T) & I'm glad I started with this one! I was originally researched & was planning on getting a G. Rosea, but the "tarantula guy" at the reptile store suggested the chalcodes & I'm glad I went with that choice.

He's super laid back & as others said, he spent most of his time out in the open just standing still. Last Thursday was the first time that he actually did any sort of digging (substrate was all over the place like some wild party took place lol).

In terms of being afraid, I was somewhat in the same boat. I don't quite remember why I decided to get one, but I'm glad I did!
Easy pet to take care of & you'll begin to feel more comfortable with time. I was bit anxious at first, but that went away quickly.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I think many tarantula hobbyists were uncomfortable with spiders at some point. Fear can turn into fascination once you get a tarantula and realize the truth: they're just animals. They want to eat bugs and be left alone, basically. They're not evil, even though Western media presents them as such. They have no interest in interacting with people.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
If my freebie B. albo turns into a monster, I will bring her to the bug fair and put a "FREE HUGS!" sign on her enclosure.
My B. albos are really nice - I have a Honduran and a Nicaraguan form. They're definitely on the skittish side, especially as youngsters, but neither of them has ever exhibited one iota of defensive behaviour. As long as they have a burrow they can retreat to they're lovely.

Last edited by a moderator:

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
My B. albos are really nice - I have a hobby form and a Nicaraguan form. They're definitely on the skittish side, especially as youngsters, but neither of them has ever exhibited one iota of defensive behaviour. As long as they have a burrow they can retreat to they're lovely.
Mine has always had multiple nice burrows as well as leaf cover and is the only one who ever kicked hairs at me (that wasn’t my A. gen in premolt the other week).

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
Ooh, those B. albo hairs got me really bad the first time I rehoused her. Mine don't kick but I didn't realize they also flick them all around their enclosure. BTW I find lint rollers work pretty while when I get haired, it still sucks but it sucks less.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Afraid, yet want to own- bad idea because you may or may not overcome your irrational fear.

And if you don’t, only the pet may suffer in the long term as you may have to give it away etc.

Too much uncertainty IMO, as you cannot guarantee the outcome.