Looking to get my first, but also mildly arachnophobic

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I think it can be done, but it's best to spend some time around tarantulas first and get comfortable. Just get a chill species like A. chalcodes, H. chilensis, G. pulchripes or B. albopilosum - any of those would be a great confidence builder. They were for me. But it would really help a lot to be able to borrow one for a while first to see what it's like.

Keep in mind, in captivity, chalcodes rarely will burrow....in fact very few of the best beginner species will, especially as adults.

The one to get if you want to see burrowing behavior would be A. seemani.

With just one, you have no need to be keeping roaches...literally any feeder works.. crickets, meal worms, wax worms, super worms, earthworms...etc, etc. Crickets often get the best response.

Also keep in mind that any adult Aphonopelma wont need to eat all that much, or all that often. one prey item every 2 weeks is fine, if prey is small, offer two.....you could even feed monthly with bigger prey like roaches or large worms.
My G. pulchripes burrows, but I only have the one so I don't have much to compare her to. She's also only about 3".

Last edited by a moderator: