Looking to get my first, but also mildly arachnophobic

Jmanning0927

Arachnopeon
I mean is it even possible to own a pet and at the same time be mildly afraid of it? Lol. Well afraid is a strong word let's say I strongly respect their space. I've been doing alot of research into tarantulas and have watched more care videos on YouTube than I care to admit and I've gone from "I never want a pet spider in my house" to "OK these things are super cool maybe I want a tarantula". I'm very interested in the Aphonpelma Chalcodes. Mainly because of their seemly mild temperament and slow movement speed. Plus Lets be honest they are flipping beautiful. I don't know maybe my fascination of these creatures is slowly dismantling my fear of them but we all know how that old saying about curiosity goes.. So I'd like to know your opinion. We're you fearful of them but were still able to care for them properly? Is there a different species you would recommend above the Aphonpelma for someone like me? Thanks in advance!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Aphonopelma chalcodes are great first tarantulas. They are interesting to watch as they are great 'dirt movers' and love to rearrange substrate. Also, Grammostola pulchras have similar good dispositions and also make interesting dirt shapes in their substrate. Also, as far as docility goes, Grammostola pulchripes and Brachypelma albopilosum are great starter Ts as well. Mine just don't do much digging, they like to hang out in the open.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I was afraid of my first t. There are plenty of good beginner species. If your that scared I would lean toward a slower moving species like g pulchripes. There are plenty of beginner threads here i think.

LittleGiRLy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm terrified of bugs. I don't and won't touch any, ever! BUT, i do love looking at them, and learning about them... which is why Ts are perfect! I've been caring for them for quite some time, and enjoy doing so. You won't ever have to touch them, i don't even touch the crickets i use as feed :p. The only thing you should worry about, is becoming an addict! You'll find, soon enough, that you can't just have one!

... and A. Chalcodes is a fine choice! But i agree with the others, G. Pulchripes are great for first timers. Easy to care for, super hardy, and get rather large in size

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Observing a calm specimen over a long period of time is, IMO, the best way to get used to them. An adult female chalcodes would be a very good choice.

Jmanning0927

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much for your responses. I will definitely look into the G. Pulchripes. The Chalcodes is what orginally piped my interest in T's because their amazing creative nature. I seem to have a soft spot for burrowers. There's something just so relatable about their "this is my hole" mentality. Also I see that roaches seem to be a go to for feeders. But how exactly do you keep them in an controler environment? I think my fear of a house full of roaches is stronger than T's.

cold blood

Staff member
seem to have a soft spot for burrowers. There's
Keep in mind, in captivity, chalcodes rarely will burrow....in fact very few of the best beginner species will, especially as adults.

The one to get if you want to see burrowing behavior would be A. seemani.
I see that roaches seem to be a go to for feeders.
With just one, you have no need to be keeping roaches...literally any feeder works.. crickets, meal worms, wax worms, super worms, earthworms...etc, etc. Crickets often get the best response.

Also keep in mind that any adult Aphonopelma wont need to eat all that much, or all that often. one prey item every 2 weeks is fine, if prey is small, offer two.....you could even feed monthly with bigger prey like roaches or large worms.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
chalcodes rarely will burrow
VERY TRUE. I thought these guys burrow in the wild, but I was proven wrong. I gave my girl 6'' of substrate and she always just sit on top and never digs nor use her pre-made burrow. Basically a waste of some substrate for me.

Back to the topic, A. chalcodes is the upgrade version of G. porteri. I recommend anyone an A. chalcodes that is new to the hobby. My girl eats whatever I give it and she's always out and never hiding or digging. She just sits there and sometimes she sits in the same spot for days. Best beginner and display T. for sure.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
It sounds like you know what you want, and A. chalcodes is a good starter species :) Also very affordable and easy to care for.

I started out with a G. rosea sling with the same intentions you have just about three years ago. I was basically a helicopter mom until this past year, when I got uhhhh twenty more tarantulas to worry about , and she finally molted into a juvenile and got her adult colors. She's still my baby, but watching her feed and grow and wander around her enclosure doing spider stuff has been really rewarding for me. I'm not afraid of her, but I respect her space, and don't feel any desire to handle her. She's never kicked a hair at me or thrown a threat posture at me because I haven't given her a reason to.

I think just watching your pet T live its life, eating and digging around, will help turn your fear to fascination. And watching a smaller tarantula grow is really cool, too.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Keep in mind, in captivity, chalcodes rarely will burrow
VERY TRUE. I thought these guys burrow in the wild, but I was proven wrong. I gave my girl 6'' of substrate and she always just sit on top and never digs nor use her pre-made burrow. Basically a waste of some substrate for me.
My girl's obviously one of those rare burrowing chalcodes, she's also a bit cranky (but that's not exactly uncommon for this species from what I've read).

View media item 46683
Is there a different species you would recommend above the Aphonpelma for someone like me?
You absolutely can't go wrong with Brachypelma albopilosum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veribug

Arachnosquire
My B. albopilosum has been quite a confident burrower and she's a big girl now. In fact she's a tad more of a pet hole than a pet rock... So worth keeping them in the mix if you would like a good burrow out of your T. Also reasonable growth time, quite easy to purchase as a juvenile and good feeding responses. Not the most exciting to look at, perhaps, but they tick a lot of good boxes for beginners - and IMO they're still pretty. :) Mine's also actually webbed up a lot of the floor and sides of her enclosure too, much more so than any other "beginner" terrestrial species I own.

As for the fear - have definitely read reports of exposure helping people to get over it. Think there was a woman in the UK who started out arachnophobic then ended up with over 50 Ts. It's an addictive hobby no matter your disposition... o_O just be sensible! And ask questions here like you already are. :)

Jmanning0927

Arachnopeon
Any T I get would definitely never be handled unless absolutely necessary such as an Uh oh please get back in your cage. and that would definitely be for both of our safety. It's interesting that they don't typically borrow. I assumed since they love bulldozing they would borrow but that's super awesome that they can be great display pets. I'll probably never own any of the more "active" species. Even though I understand that both mean back off The threat posture and kicking hairs are absolutely hilarious to me. But I think I'd die of a heart attack if one bolted out the cage at me or attempted to climb the tongs while feeding.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
People keep saying this! I'd like them to meet mine XD It has kicked more hairs and thrown more threat poses at me than any of my other Ts. It's pretty, but a real weenie.
It's obviously taken lessons from my Brachypelma hamorii (for threat postures anyway, she's never kicked hairs) :rofl:

Jmanning0927

Arachnopeon
My girl's obviously one of those rare burrowing chalcodes, she's also a bit cranky (but that's not exactly uncommon for this species from what I've read).

View media item 46683
Yea I have read conflicting things about their temperament. Some people have really genial Chalcodes where as others have real butt holes. Some have really bad mood swings. But honestly from what I read that's the risk you have to take with any T species. It's like a box of chocolates. Hairy and very leggy chocolates. You never know what your going to get

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
It's obviously taken lessons from my Brachypelma hamorii (for threat postures anyway, she's never kicked hairs) :rofl:

She just wants hugs XD

But seriously, I have no idea has been up with my B. albo. It just molted again, so I hope that the reboot will initiate the proper behavior sequence and it becomes the puppy dog everyone else's is!

Jmanning0927

Arachnopeon

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I mean is it even possible to own a pet and at the same time be mildly afraid of it? Lol. Well afraid is a strong word let's say I strongly respect their space. I've been doing alot of research into tarantulas and have watched more care videos on YouTube than I care to admit and I've gone from "I never want a pet spider in my house" to "OK these things are super cool maybe I want a tarantula". I'm very interested in the Aphonpelma Chalcodes. Mainly because of their seemly mild temperament and slow movement speed. Plus Lets be honest they are flipping beautiful. I don't know maybe my fascination of these creatures is slowly dismantling my fear of them but we all know how that old saying about curiosity goes.. So I'd like to know your opinion. We're you fearful of them but were still able to care for them properly? Is there a different species you would recommend above the Aphonpelma for someone like me? Thanks in advance!
Over time your fear of them, will turn into respect for them. Just dont jump in deep with a full grow T, start with something like a 1.5 inch sling.

Veribug

Arachnosquire
But honestly from what I read that's the risk you have to take with any T species.
Yep! Can depend on the day, too, or how hungry it is, etc.

My B. albopilosum is only feisty after a moult, when she's really, really hungry. She settles down after a few weeks and some crickets.

But my G. pulchripes is forever either hungry or moody. If she's not attacking crickets, she would be attacking fingers. Long and soft paint brushes are great for testing what mood your T is in (although please don't do it every day :angelic: )

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
But I think I'd die of a heart attack if one bolted out the cage at me or attempted to climb the tongs while feeding.
Just assume you're going to have some mishaps while feeding or rehousing and try to be ready for them! I nearly crapped myself when my pink toe climbed my tongs once, but I tried to stay calm and prodded it back into its enclosure with a paint brush. I try to be ready with tongs, a cup, and a paintbrush just in case.

You'll learn from your mistakes and with time!