Lasiodora parahybana molted

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I know what I'm doing and sad to tell you but I do have experience with spiders just because I got scammed it doesn't make it my fault

sasker

Arachnoprince
I know what I'm doing and sad to tell you but I do have experience with spiders just because I got scammed it doesn't make it my fault
@SuleymanC I am sorry that you feel personally attacked and offended, but I am with @VanessaS on this one. Your experience with true spiders is not being questioned here. However, even if you are successful in your first breeding attempt (and breeding tarantulas is more than just putting a male and female in one enclosure and letting nature run its course), you lack the knowledge and experience with tarantulas to make a meaningful contribution to this hobby yet.

As it has been pointed out so very clearly, you need to have knowledge about the local market, legal implications of your actions, etc on top of knowledge about the care for tarantulas in order to be successful.

It is exactly your lack of knowledge about these specific areas that got you swindled into buying a male instead of a female. You are not alone in this, trust me. One of my first tarantulas was an 'unsexed' juvenile Brachypelma emilia. A few years into the hobby, I realised that it is very unlikely that a tarantula this size is unsexed. It may be difficult to sex very small spiderlings, but it is very unlikely that an experienced keeper has a 3" tarantula without knowing its gender. I know better now, but I was very green then. The fact that I know all about the care of, say, cats and goldfish did not prepare me for this. Only keeping tarantulas teaches you what you need to know about tarantulas.

We don't have very strict rules about keeping tarantulas in Bulgaria, but I would really appreciate any input from other hobbyists if I was about to do something stupid. Yes, @VanessaS was a bit direct, but if you read what she said you will see that this is not because she wanted to offend you, but because she feels very strongly about this topic. This is not without reason, so please listen to what she says and leave the breeding of tarantulas for a later moment when you've gained better understanding of the consequences of your breeding plans.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
@SuleymanC I am sorry that you feel personally attacked and offended, but I am with @VanessaS on this one. Your experience with true spiders is not being questioned here. However, even if you are successful in your first breeding attempt (and breeding tarantulas is more than just putting a male and female in one enclosure and letting nature run its course), you lack the knowledge and experience with tarantulas to make a meaningful contribution to this hobby yet.

As it has been pointed out so very clearly, you need to have knowledge about the local market, legal implications of your actions, etc on top of knowledge about the care for tarantulas in order to be successful.

It is exactly your lack of knowledge about these specific areas that got you swindled into buying a male instead of a female. You are not alone in this, trust me. One of my first tarantulas was an 'unsexed' juvenile Brachypelma emilia. A few years into the hobby, I realised that it is very unlikely that a tarantula this size is unsexed. It may be difficult to sex very small spiderlings, but it is very unlikely that an experienced keeper has a 3" tarantula without knowing its gender. I know better now, but I was very green then. The fact that I know all about the care of, say, cats and goldfish did not prepare me for this. Only keeping tarantulas teaches you what you need to know about tarantulas.

We don't have very strict rules about keeping tarantulas in Bulgaria, but I would really appreciate any input from other hobbyists if I was about to do something stupid. Yes, @VanessaS was a bit direct, but if you read what she said you will see that this is not because she wanted to offend you, but because she feels very strongly about this topic. This is not without reason, so please listen to what she says and leave the breeding of tarantulas for a later moment when you've gained better understanding of the consequences of your breeding plans.
I'm going to share it with dealers only.. And only friends that can give good care.. I bred true spiders before and principle is probably similar.. I did my homework on how to breed tarantulas and I'll spread the slings to people that I can trust handling over.

And there is no difference if I'm the guy that gives tarantulas or dealers.. Tarantula is tarantula..

sasker

Arachnoprince
I'm going to share it with dealers only.
If they want them...

And there is no difference if I'm the guy that gives tarantulas or dealers.. Tarantula is tarantula..
There is a difference, though. Responsible dealers may know where it is allowed to send tarantulas to (and they may not send them to municipalities that enforce a ban).

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I know the basics so that's what matters.. Give water, give food, give cage according to size, give hide for juveniles and adults.. You make sure male and female are fully fed before you do breeding.. You let male crawl into female's enclosure and introduce him to her. Later, when they leave each other you immediately take out the male from her enclosure because females get aggressive towards male after breeding.. If you fully feed you still have risks of getting him killed but you would at least lower chances of that happening

I'll be responsible too when giving my slings.. I'll verify if person is eligible to have tarantula and if responsible to keep animals I give safely

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I agree that it takes a movement of people rather than one single person. One voice is easy to ignore. Many voices can become a deafening roar.

However I did see mention on here just recently about someone who got a species of very large beetles legalized by continuing to write the government. It's not impossible. And if everyone thinks "I can't change anything." and no one tries at all then you're ruined before you even begin.

Politicians make a lot of decisions mostly without having any personal experience. You might have a different government (Monarchy, Democracy, etc) but politicians are usually the same regardless of what country you're in-- a pain in the butt.
Well, obviously you're damn right about politicians in general but here those (and the establishment in general) at least listened to the Italian arachnid community voice.

Now it's not only a question of "people united" etc that, only because they have or can have 'numbers', can settle a score. Here in Italy we always were, like we love to say for depict a bunch of few people, "four cats".

It's a question of keeper/s serious attitude and credibility.

For instance, in Italian arachnid forums if someone post 'handling' pictures, that someone is disliked by moderators, and his picture/s removed (unless very few rare events like trying to save a spider life or else). Here, despite the fact that in general handling is bad viewed, don't.

In Italian arachnid forums if someone type Grammostola rosea instead of Grammostola rosea, users and mods are pissed off and call that one to behave a bit seriously. Same way for common names: scientific only (ok, sometimes a 'GBB' or 'OBT' are fine, but sometimes).

It's basically a "my way or the highway" mentality. But this mentality here in Italy helped at least to avoid YT crappy handling videos (that never helps the hobby, in all honesty) and beginners seeking 24/7 for blah blah :)

I mean politicians are forced to take in consideration a no handling and serious attitude when present. They can't deny facts. The rest were arachnologist, people working in museums, people that written books about spiders etc in sum, credibility is everything.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I probably won't be buying male anymore and that male wasn't intentional... I'll only mate tarantula for maybe once and that's it.. I already know I'll have too much but there are always responsible people you can find who will take just good as me if not better.. When I give these slings I will inform people their information and size so they know what to expect when it's old.. Sorry if I came harsh to some but I just felt like some people here took my knowledge lightly

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
To @SuleymanC,
I believe it's best to not breed your MM LP. You repeat that you don't want your T wasted, and you want it to have a happy life. Unfortunately, tarantulas don't have feelings (as of today :) until science proves me wrong). LP's are very, very common, and I believe it is the most readily available T in the hobby. That being said, a common hobbyist, like you and myself, should leave breeding to the more experienced keeper. I have a MM G. porteri, and yes, I wanted to breed him initially on my own. With the demand for captive-bred G. rosea and G. porteri slings on the rise, I have him on hold for an experienced breeder in the future.
@SuleymanC, my final word is to hold off on your breeding plan. Trade or make a deal with an experienced keeper. Good luck! :)