Lasiodora parahybana molted

sasker

Arachnoprince
Yeah but if I don't breed then my male will be wasted
Nothing is wasted if your male doesn't mate and you let him live out his life. Just care for him until he passes away. As explained above, there is not a high demand for your spider's offspring and I don't think that 'I don't want my spider to die a virgin' is a really valid reason to try to find an adult female for him. If you want breeding experience, purchase spiders that are in demand. You will end up euthanising most of your brood if you successfully breed this species anyway. Unless you are prepared to raise 2000 slings to adulthood ;)

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I don't really want money from this breeding.. All I want is to supply more LP to dealers and friends that want some.. I don't know what future holds for me but right now I am not in hobby for any money. I want to breed because the more LP there is they will be even more common and will be even more affordable.. My plan is to make tarantulas cheaper than they already are.
No, the person who sold him to him was well aware that he was male. I doubt very highly that he paid $250 for the tarantula, my guess is that he raised the tarantula from a spiderling and was waiting for someone to come along that he could fleece. Online sellers lie all the time - 'I bought it as a female' is the most common response.
At that size, the buyer should have insisted to see the ventral side of the tarantula. Although not as accurate as a moult, if the male is about to mature a ventral look would have been a good indication that he was male. If unsure, it is best to walk away unless you are good with the price and ending up with a male.
I completely agree with you there because that's also what I'm thinking.. People do anything for money so I can do safe assumption that business can sometimes involve lie just to sell things out..
What are you planning to do with hundreds of spiderlings that you are unable to sell?
Have you already made a deal with Amanda or Dawn to take them? I know both of them very well, and even had this same conversation with them, so they are open to taking spiderlings from people in some cases. Just make sure that you're good with the terms before you breed - unless you're prepared to care for up to 2,000 tarantulas for the next few years. Because doing what you think is right for one male, at the expense of hundreds of spiderlings dying, is not logical.
I'm planning to share the slings with other tarantula keepers.. <edit>
Nothing is wasted if your male doesn't mate and you let him live out his life. Just care for him until he passes away. As explained above, there is not a high demand for your spider's offspring and I don't think that 'I don't want my spider to die a virgin' is a really valid reason to try to find an adult female for him. If you want breeding experience, purchase spiders that are in demand. You will end up euthanising most of your brood if you successfully breed this species anyway. Unless you are prepared to raise 2000 slings to adulthood ;)
Yeah I agree breeding is just a choice for people it's not life or death matter but as I said I have plan that is related to breeding but I'm well aware tarantulas can do just fine without mating

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm planning to share the slings with other tarantula keepers.. <edit>
You do realize the number of municipalities in Ontario who ban any and all venomous animals, right? You understand that, should a person who does not have any knowledge or experience with tarantulas, gets a hold of a very large, sometimes defensive, species that there could be serious consequences for you and everyone around you, right? You are aware of the fact that, in the last year alone, stringent restrictions were placed on tarantula dealers at expos and that it was even discussed that they would no longer be able to attend the expos due to the bans that are in place?
If an inexperienced owner gets a hold of a tarantula that they do not have the knowledge or experience to keep safely, then you are okay with it getting back to you when something goes wrong, right? You yourself aren't in one of those areas with a ban in place, right? Like... Toronto?
The consequences of a tarantula mishap making the news, especially right now when things are already up in the air over our dealers even being allowed at the expos, is going to be very wide reaching and will affect hundreds of people negatively.
You're okay with that all being on you, right? If you aren't okay with all of that, then I would suggest that you leave breeding up to the experts who have everything in place to deal with something like that happening.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
You do realize the number of municipalities in Ontario who ban any and all venomous animals, right? You understand that, should a person who does not have any knowledge or experience with tarantulas, gets a hold of a very large, sometimes defensive, species that there could be serious consequences for you and everyone around you, right? You are aware of the fact that, in the last year alone, stringent restrictions were placed on tarantula dealers at expos and that it was even discussed that they would no longer be able to attend the expos due to the bans that are in place?
If an inexperienced owner gets a hold of a tarantula that they do not have the knowledge or experience to keep safely, then you are okay with it getting back to you when something goes wrong, right? You yourself aren't in one of those areas with a ban in place, right? Like... Toronto?
The consequences of a tarantula mishap making the news, especially right now when things are already up in the air over our dealers even being allowed at the expos, is going to be very wide reaching and will affect hundreds of people negatively.
You're okay with that all being on you, right?
I'm only giving away to people that know how to take good care of tarantulas.. As hobbyist I want to make tarantulas more common pet and try to remove false image much as I can afford to

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm only giving away to people that know how to take good care of tarantulas.. As hobbyist I want to make tarantulas more common pet and try to remove false image much as I can afford to
You aren't understanding. Tarantulas used to be very common as pets - even sold in every pet shop in Toronto by the hundreds. Bans being put in place is what has made them less common. When I got my first tarantula, 18 years ago this month, lots and lots of people had them.
The reason why they are not more popular is not due to misconceptions or a 'false image', it is because they have been banned in many municipalities. They are still sold in some pet shops, and are much more common, in areas without bans. Two more areas - Niagara and Thorold - are putting together bans on venomous animals as we speak. More and more municipalities are banning them every year.
Please, do your homework. Bans being put in place have reduced the hobby and not because people don't WANT to have them. People not being ABLE to have them is what has made the hobby shrink from what it used to be.

Last edited:

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
You aren't understanding. Tarantulas used to be very common as pets - even sold in every pet shop in Toronto by the hundreds. Bans being put in place is what has made them less common. When I got my first tarantula, 18 years ago this month, lots and lots of people had them.
The reason why they are not more popular is not due to misconceptions or a 'false image', it is because they have been banned in many municipalities. They are still sold in some pet shops, and are much more common, in areas without bans.
Please, do your homework. Bans being put in place have reduced the hobby and not because people don't WANT to have them. People not being ABLE to have them is what has made the hobby shrink from what it used to be.
That I agree.. But at the same time it's up to us to make this hobby popular again.. I'm not saying do illegal stuff, just saying we can do this if we have the right mindset. Pet stores shouldn't even have tarantula in first place.. They clearly don't know their care but if we help each other we can increase popularity of tarantula pets again

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm done - I'm banging my head against the wall. You are obviously going to do whatever you want regardless of the consequences to everyone around you.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I'm done - I'm banging my head against the wall. You are obviously going to do whatever you want regardless of the consequences to everyone around you.
If you give them to right people you will be fine

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Wow I didn't know Canada was getting so many restrictions on tarantulas. OP, if you want to do something to help the hobby then breeding an already very common tarantula isn't going to solve anything. Your time would be better spent writing to politicians in an attempt to make them realize that most tarantulas have medically insignificant venom and couldn't survive being released into Canadian wilderness by irresponsible people.

I think what @VanessaS is trying to say is that breeding an LP isn't going to make the Canadian tarantula hobby popular again. You're pouring fuel into a machine that's got a crack in the gas tank. You've got to fix the leak before you can add fuel.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I think what @VanessaS is trying to say
What part of what I said was vague? I wasn't 'trying' to say anything - I was extremely clear about what I was saying.
This isn't about me being clear - it is about not telling him what he wants to hear.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
What part of what I said was vague? I wasn't 'trying' to say anything - I was extremely clear about what I was saying.
This isn't about me being clear - it is about not saying what he wants to hear.
He messaged me privately and was asking about it and now seems to understand. English isn't his first language, but now he seems to grasp that the government is trying to ban tarantulas. I told him to message you about details since I'm not Canadian and I don't know the laws.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Maybe he will understand this.
Dedicated hobbyists, those who have been keeping tarantulas for literally decades without incident, along with the people who have to try to make a living from this hobby to support their families, have NOT been sitting around with our thumbs up our butts letting bans be put into place without making every effort possible to prevent them. Municipalities don't care about the hundreds of pros associated with keeping tarantulas and the hundreds of responsible hobbyists - they are only interested in the one con of some child being bitten and ending up in emergency because of one irresponsible hobbyist.
I can assure you that we have not been waiting around for some guy, with very little experience and who hasn't been around that long, to 'save' our hobby by breeding a bunch of unwanted tarantulas and giving them away to people with no experience. As a matter of fact, that is the absolute last thing that is going to save this hobby.
Is that clearer?

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Your time would be better spent writing to politicians in an attempt to make them realize
Writing to politicians is useless. At least here in Italy, definitely. But when the government here banned every arachnid (every) in 2003, the Italian arachnid community managed to fix the whole thing.

Granted, things today aren't exactly cool like prior 2003 they were, but at least we can keep every non potentially lethal arachnid without particular issues.

A single man can do nothing, an entire community, yes.
But they need to "knock at the right doors", not letters or partake into online signature. And for be in a position where someone can "knock at the right doors" that someone needs to be credible (like us were/are) and prove legit and valid facts, so of course stuff that someone with a scorpion in his/her mouth and a Theraphosidae in the hand, can't (despite the fact that he/she could be a skilled keeper, nonetheles).

Politicians, basically, aside for environment protection, are "scared" about certain keepers attitude... let's be honest, who wants to open his/her door for go to work at 6:00 in the morning and found a Cobra on the loose in front of his/her apartment? This. No one. Politicians think those things.

A serious attitude, on the other hand, helps.

Last edited:

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Maybe he will understand this.
Dedicated hobbyists, those who have been keeping tarantulas for literally decades without incident, along with the people who have to try to make a living from this hobby to support their families, have NOT been sitting around with our thumbs up our butts letting bans be put into place without making every effort possible to prevent them. Municipalities don't care about the hundreds of pros associated with keeping tarantulas and the hundreds of responsible hobbyists, they are only interested in the one con of some child being bitten and ending up in emergency because of one irresponsible hobbyist.
I can assure you that we have not been waiting around for some guy, with very little experience and who hasn't been around that long, to 'save' our hobby by breeding a bunch of unwanted tarantulas and giving them away to people with no experience. As a matter of fact, that is the absolute last thing that is going to save this hobby.
Is that clearer?
I don't have very little experience with spiders.. I only have with tarantulas but I do get what you are saying.. You telling me that they don't give jack<edit> about tarantulas.. They only look for one mistake that keeper does and use that as excuse to ban them for everyone. I get what you are saying don't worry! I have English to understand. I agree with you with all this.. What you are saying is true but only thing I didn't like is when you assumed I have little experience with spiders

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I didn't like is when you assumed I have little experience with spiders
I didn't assume anything - you told me everything I needed to know by purchasing a penultimate male tarantula on some strangers word without doing your due diligence to ensure that it was female. Also, your lack of knowledge about the species that you are so eager to breed, and not knowing that you can't even give them away, is a good indication that you are very lacking in experience in this hobby.
Again, do your homework before doing something that is going to ruin it for everyone.

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Writing to politicians is useless. At least here in Italy, definitely. But when the government here banned every arachnid (every) in 2003, the Italian arachnid community managed to fix the whole thing.

Granted, things today aren't exactly cool like prior 2003 they were, but at least we can keep every non potentially lethal arachnid without particular issues.

A single man can do nothing, an entire community, yes.
But they need to "knock at the right doors", not letters or partake into online signature. And for be in a position where someone can "knock at the right doors" that someone needs to be credible (like us were/are) and prove legit and valid facts, so of course stuff that someone with a scorpion in his/her mouth and a Theraphosidae in the hand, can't.

Politicians, basically, aside for environment protection, are "scared" about certain keepers attitude... let's be honest, who wants to open his/her door for go to work at 6:00 in the morning and found a Cobra on the loose in front of his/her apartment? This. No one. Politicians think those things.

A serious attitude, on the other hand, helps.
I agree that it takes a movement of people rather than one single person. One voice is easy to ignore. Many voices can become a deafening roar.

However I did see mention on here just recently about someone who got a species of very large beetles legalized by continuing to write the government. It's not impossible. And if everyone thinks "I can't change anything." and no one tries at all then you're ruined before you even begin.

Politicians make a lot of decisions mostly without having any personal experience. You might have a different government (Monarchy, Democracy, etc) but politicians are usually the same regardless of what country you're in-- a pain in the butt.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I didn't assume anything - you told me everything I needed to know by purchasing a penultimate male tarantula on some strangers word without doing your due diligence to ensure that it was female. Also, your lack of knowledge about the species that you are so eager to breed, and not knowing that you can't even give them away, is a good indicating that you are very lacking in experience in this hobby.
Again, do your homework before doing something that is going to ruin it for everyone.
Okay let's be honest here then... Yes I'm new to tarantula world but not with true spiders.. I have been taking care of them for long years.. And it's not my fault that I got scammed.. The guy who sold previous owner tarantula lied and probably showed molt of different tarantula that belonged to female..

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Okay let's be honest here then... Yes I'm new to tarantula world but not with true spiders.. I have been taking care of them for long years.. And it's not my fault that I got scammed.. The guy who sold previous owner tarantula lied and probably showed molt of different tarantula that belonged to female..
Your lack of experience is why you got scammed. You would not find some stranger willing to sell a sub-adult female Lasiodora parahybana for $50, when he claimed to have bought her for $250, and when everyone else is selling them for $200+. Yes, you can find a very small female for that amount <edit>, but not a larger female. Anyone who has been in this hobby for any length of time would have seen the red flags on that sale a mile off and walked away from it.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Your lack of experience is why you got scammed. You would not find some stranger willing to sell a sub-adult female Lasiodora parahybana for $50, when he claimed to have bought her for $250, and when everyone else is selling them for $200+. Yes, you can find a very small female for that amount, <edit> but not a larger female. Anyone who has been in this hobby for any length of time would have seen the red flags on that sale a mile off and walked away from it.
Okay stop I don't want this anymore

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Okay stop I don't want this anymore
I'm sorry that you aren't going to hear what you want to from me. Make no mistake - I care more about this hobby, and the animals, than I do about hurting someone's feelings. If I feel that someone is going to be a detriment to the hobby in Ontario, or that animals that I care very much about are going to end up suffering or dying, I am going to speak up about it.
What you're planning on doing is not going to help this hobby or the animals. Period.