Lasiodora parahybana molted

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Ah yeah, that looks like red on his pedipalps.

I just mean you shouldn't jump between those two offers. Post a 'want to buy' in the classifieds, specify you're in Canada and see if anyone sends you any offers. Shop around before you drop 200 on a female -right- this instant. But in the end it's your decision.

Can you contact the original seller? Maybe they can offer you store credit for their mistake.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I bought the female lasiodora parahybana mature but do you guys think it's bad idea to take a bus to pick her up? I have nobody to drive me there.. So bus is my only option.. If I keep my mouth shut nobody will know right? I feel scared because tarantula will highly get stressed from the transportation.. Taxi is too expensive method

Ah yeah, that looks like red on his pedipalps.

I just mean you shouldn't jump between those two offers. Post a 'want to buy' in the classifieds, specify you're in Canada and see if anyone sends you any offers. Shop around before you drop 200 on a female -right- this instant. But in the end it's your decision.

Can you contact the original seller? Maybe they can offer you store credit for their mistake.
They don't care.. I contacted the guy 2 days ago and he said he could get back to me but heard nothing ever since and no reply to my questions I asked today and yesterday

Last edited by a moderator:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
They don't care.. I contacted the guy 2 days ago and he said he could get back to me but heard nothing ever since and no reply to my questions I asked today and yesterday
Well that's a rough break. Maybe you should leave them an updated review mentioning how they sold you an incorrectly sexed tarantula and then haven't gotten back to you after contacting them multiple times.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Well that's a rough break. Maybe you should leave them an updated review mentioning how they sold you an incorrectly sexed tarantula and then haven't gotten back to you after contacting them multiple times.
They are private sellers so nothing I can pretty much do... One thing you should keep in mind is that private sellers can screw you over so always get from official dealers that do honest business

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
They are private sellers so nothing I can pretty much do... One thing you should keep in mind is that private sellers can screw you over so always get from official dealers that do honest business
Well if they have an AB account or they have a review thread here on AB you can always do it on here.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Well if they have an AB account or they have a review thread here on AB you can always do it on here.
I don't even think they have one..maybe they do but I don't know what it is.. This was hard lesson for me... Majority of the cheap tarantula are male so never fall into this trap just because you see something cheap.. You don't know if what you got is female.. I was happy I found perfect deal until LP showed his male parts

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It's not fair to paint all hobbyists/private sellers with the same broad brush. There are plenty of honest sellers on this site, held accountable by the review system.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Buy T's as slings. LP's grow relatively quick into juveniles, and they are readily available. Being one of the most inexpensive T's, I suggest you buy 3 slings.
1 sling = 50% female
2 slings = 75% one is female
3 slings = 87.5% one is female

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Buy T's as slings. LP's grow relatively quick into juveniles, and they are readily available. Being one of the most inexpensive T's, I suggest you buy 3 slings.
1 sling = 50% female
2 slings = 75% one is female
3 slings = 87.5% one is female
Thanks for advice! If you buy 10 what percentage do you have for female in your experience or guess?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
This is him
Definitely a MM.

You need to report the seller if he scammed you, there is no other way of preventing him from redoing this to someone else. If he's not competent enough to properly sex his Ts he shouldn't be selling them or listing them as such.

I hate people who try and pull this crap, next time buy from a reputable dealer/vendor.
<edit>
don't buy from the scammer again and report him here on the boards. I would be contacting him to see if he's willing to right his wrong...if not that tells you something about character.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Also obt with 4 spinnerets is male right?
Where did you get this information? It's totally wrong! The number of spinnerets has nothing to do with the gender. Males do have special silk producing glands, but they are not located with the rest of the spinnerets.

Thanks for advice! If you buy 10 what percentage do you have for female in your experience or guess?
The chance that you will have at least one female is 1 minus the chance that all your slings turn out male. Or:

1-0.5^10 = 0.99990234%

So you will almost certainly have at least one female.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Guys I have important update.. The guy that sold me got scammed also because he paid 250 for it... He always thought he was female...

So the one that sold to him is the scammer

sasker

Arachnoprince
I still think 250 Canadian dollar is a massive amount for a sexed female. Usually you will get slings as freebies. Tarantula Canada sells them at the moment for 25 dollar per 5 0.5 inch slings.

Just another question for @SuleymanC : do you have any breeding experience? Do you realise that you may end up with up to 2000 spiderlings if your breeding attempt is successful? Just saying...

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I still think 250 Canadian dollar is a massive amount for a sexed female. Usually you will get slings as freebies. Tarantula Canada sells them at the moment for 25 dollar per 5 0.5 inch slings.

Just another question for @SuleymanC : do you have any breeding experience? Do you realise that you may end up with up to 2000 spiderlings if your breeding attempt is successful? Just saying...
Yeah I have bred spiders at the past... I'm not new to true spiders it's just that I'm new to tarantulas but I believe procedure is same... If I do end up successful I'll be giving them to dealers and my friends that live in Ontario Canada that live near me.. <edit>

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
There are still people trying to sell L. parahybana spiderlings on Kijiji and they have been for months... the same person. The market for that species is saturated in Ontario and the chances of being able to sell all those spiderlings, without first making a deal <edit> is very low.
You are going to be stuck with most of them for a long time. That is the very last species that would be recommended for someone to breed in Ontario - everyone is breeding them. And, while you might have a couple of dozen people lined up for them, I doubt very highly that you are going to have hundreds prepared to buy them.
That is the last species that anyone should be breeding in Ontario. Especially someone who lacks the network of tarantula buyers that our biggest dealers have.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
There are still people trying to sell L. parahybana spiderlings on Kijiji and they have been for months... the same person. The market for that species is saturated in Ontario and the chances of being able to sell all those spiderlings, without first making a deal <edit> is very low.
You are going to be stuck with most of them for a long time. That is the very last species that would be recommended for someone to breed in Ontario - everyone is breeding them. And, while you might have a couple of dozen people lined up for them, I doubt very highly that you are going to have hundreds prepared to buy them.
That is the last species that anyone should be breeding in Ontario. Especially someone who lacks the network of tarantula buyers that our biggest dealers have.
Yeah but if I don't breed then my male will be wasted... I put lots of effort on him so I don't want to see him die without mating.. I want him to live rest of his days happy

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
He sold me him when it was 50 dollars so I thought it was perfect deal
Guys I have important update.. The guy that sold me got scammed also because he paid 250 for it... He always thought he was female...
He bought what he believed was a female for $250 and then sold it for $50 to you - while still believing it to be female??? I think I misunderstood something. :(

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
He bought what he believed was a female for $250 and then sold it for $50 to you - while still believing it to be female??? I think I misunderstood something. :(
No, the person who sold him to him was well aware that he was male. I doubt very highly that he paid $250 for the tarantula, my guess is that he raised the tarantula from a spiderling and was waiting for someone to come along that he could fleece. Online sellers lie all the time - 'I bought it as a female' is the most common response.
At that size, the buyer should have insisted to see the ventral side of the tarantula. Although not as accurate as a moult, if the male is about to mature a ventral look would have been a good indication that he was male. If unsure, it is best to walk away unless you are good with the price and ending up with a male.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Yeah but if I don't breed then my male will be wasted... I put lots of effort on him so I don't want to see him die without mating.. I want him to live rest of his days happy
What are you planning to do with hundreds of spiderlings that you are unable to sell?
Have you already made a deal with Amanda or Dawn to take them? I know both of them very well, and even had this same conversation with them, so they are open to taking spiderlings from people in some cases. Just make sure that you're good with the terms before you breed - unless you're prepared to care for up to 2,000 tarantulas for the next few years. Because doing what you think is right for one male, at the expense of hundreds of spiderlings dying, is not logical.