Introduce Yourself

LexBlack

Arachnopeon
Greetings from that great big island where everything is trying to kill you!

Jokes. It's only the drop bears trying to kill us.

My name is Tahirih, I prefer Tee. I'm 26 years old. Hopefully will start my Nursing degree soon. I love T's - not a huge fan of those teleporting galloping huntsmans. But I am kind of in love with the Lichen huntsmans - so that may be changing! I have my first T coming next week, a Selenotypus Exevale. But I hope to also get scorpions, centipedes and a variety of other creepy crawlies. I love reptiles as well.

Bit of a nerd, won't lie. I may have a work in progress Star Wars sleeve. Massive Tolkien fan. You know the drill. Always up for a good chat and drooling over photos of the exotic T's from everyone across the pond. Looking at eventually making my own terrariums/vivariums. Love reading the threads on here.

Happy collecting!
Welcome

Welcome
Your gonna need a Tolkien sleeve on the other arm

Last edited by a moderator:

Basalic323

Arachnopeon
Hello!
My name is Liberty but usually I go by Bas because I get fewer weird looks and comments about how I am such an 'American Girl' whatever THAT means lol. I am new to the site and 5 years out from my last T passing in a complicated molt while I was out of town. I work as a receptionist and kennel tech at a boarding and daycare facility for dogs cats and all exotic animals and do part time boarding at a veterinary clinic. I have just gotten back into the world of tarantulas and hope to learn a lot from everyone here!

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I have a variety of wild caught spiders and other wild inverts occasionally. I also have one T. I've been reading up on arachnids on Arachnoboards for about a year now and it's really helped me out with them. Excited to participate more here!

Druidess72

Arachnopeon
Hi I am Anita. I am new to Arachnids and just had a Brachypelma albopilosum given to me. I am here for advice and to learn from others how to make this little one more comfortable and happy in my home. :)

Nova

Arachnopeon
Hey! I’m Nova and I’m completely new to keeping tarantulas. I don’t have one quite yet but I’m researching and trying to convince my mom :) I’m thinking of getting a G pulchra! I’m 17, and have only ever owned cats and dogs before. I hope to have a good time here!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hey! I’m Nova and I’m completely new to keeping tarantulas. I don’t have one quite yet but I’m researching and trying to convince my mom :) I’m thinking of getting a G pulchra! I’m 17, and have only ever owned cats and dogs before. I hope to have a good time here!
Pulchras are great: generally quite docile and easygoing.

ShaakTee

Arachnopeon
My first T has arrived! Meet Ishtar, the Selenotypus Exevale. Sadly her proper substrate still hasn't arrived (it'll be here Monday hopefully). I ordered it two/three weeks before her and it is still coming! Living rurally sometimes sucks. But she seems very content with her enclosure for the moment. Has webbed in her cork bark and has already eaten a cricket and two mealworms. Cannot wait for the proper substrate ao she can start making her burrow. 20180721_175457.jpg 20180720_185010.jpg

chippedtooth

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm from B.C. big fan of critters and fish. Currently have a 140 gallon tank on my deck with Sarasa's and some am not sure of names.. they're all rescues from last summer.

This weekend I acquired my first T slings, from the reptile expo. Three salmon pinks and two curly hairs.. have had T's in the past but never slings.
Have been lurking for a while now... was time to sign up.

I do have a question about my newly acquired slings...

cheers

Last edited:

MagdaG

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys! My name is Magda and I'm from Poland. I decided to join this community because I would like to exchange experiences and learning from others :) I'm 33 y.o. and I work as a attorney. Greetings Everyone :)

DiGriv

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm from Indonesia and I'm a complete noob in keeping a pet scorpion. Here's hoping for scorpion related help.

This is Pree, my Heterometrus Cyaneus (asian blue forest scorpion), a native species around South East Asia.
IMG_20180721_141908_HHT.jpg DSC03977 copy.jpg

arachnoKS

Arachnopeon
hi all, im from the united states. I bought my first T, 2 months ago. She is an Avi. Avi. and she is doing amazing. I've been doing most of my research for the t's that i plan on getting and the information from the forum has been extremely helpful!

blitzcon

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody, I am from the US. I have a rose hair tarantula who is about 4 years old, but i think there is something wrong with her...

Remy004

Arachnopeon
Hello. My name is Remy. I've been ghosting this forum for quite a while now, and for some reason, I feel like breaking my silence now.

I'm a lover of all things creepy and crawly, especially the ones with eight legs. I am currently working on my Bachelor's in Ecology with a focus in entomology, though I would like to eventually center my studies on arachnids.

It's nice to meet you all.

Pa Uchok

Arachnopeon
Hello, I've just signed up after a couple of weeks lurking and browsing. I've been a confirmed arachnophobe for most of my life, so my first impulse for learning about these creatures was "know thine enemy". But that initial repulsion has passed via grudging respect to fascination and, at the age of 45, I'm seriously considering acquiring my first actual T. I understand this is not an uncommon trajectory for many who enter the hobby.

So now I'm in a serious information gathering phase, not least because I will have to get my family on side. I'm drawn to the brachypelmas, particularly boehmei and emilia, both for their appearance and relative ease of husbandry, and I am not too worried about slow growth. Still a bit phased by the prospect of setae, though... That said, I have no intention of handling.

My particular concern is whether, being in SE Asia (Ho Chi Minh City, to be precise), the ambient temperature and humidity will be too high for those species. I am encountering a lot of advice simply to ignore humidity levels, but I have a sense that such advice is not aimed at people in tropical latitudes - is that right?

Anyway, this is supposed to be a brief introduction, not the sequel to War and Peace, so I will sign off for now by saying I'm grateful for the collected wisdom on these boards, and I look forward to learning much more from you all.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My particular concern is whether, being in SE Asia (Ho Chi Minh City, to be precise), the ambient temperature and humidity will be too high for those species. I am encountering a lot of advice simply to ignore humidity levels, but I have a sense that such advice is not aimed at people in tropical latitudes - is that right?
I would post that question here: Tarantula Questions & Discussions.

That being said, Brachypelma can do fine in humid climates. (You're likely conditioning indoor space anyway.) Just keep the substrate dry.