Introduce Yourself

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
Hellooo!!
My names Steven 35 from Scotland!
I've been in the hobby since January when I got my first T, yeah you guessed it a Grammostola Porteri! I now own a Grammostola Pulchrapes, Ceratogyrus Meridionalis, Idiothele Mira and a Pamphobetues Vespertinus... I love all the information and suggestions from users here, helped me a lot!
Cheers

lol

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

KelleyM

Arachnopeon
My name is Kelley, I am 31 and live near Sacramento, CA. I have three boys, ages 12, 10, and 9.
I have been a T owner for about 2 years.
I enjoy reading, but find I have less time to do that than what should be considered humane. In general I enjoy keeping and learning about my pets.

Sycohearted

Arachnopeon
Hello!!!
My name is, Alli and I am hoping to adopt a beautiful Grammostola pulchripes very soon! I came here to learn about top quality care for my future 8 legged cutie!
I'm a Momma to 4 rodents as well <3

David1967

Arachnopeon
Hello all, My name is David. Once upon a time I had several tarantulas and snakes. I bred and sold corn snakes but about 6 years ago sold out of all my T's and snakes. Now I am getting back into tarantulas. Looking forward to learning from you guys.

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
Hi everybody. My name is Michael. I live in Nashville, Tennessee. I currently keep 2 Hadrurus arizonensis, my first arachnids. I find this to have been a very good choice. It's been a real enjoyment watching their behavior for the past year. I'm very interested in natural history and evolution. I find it absolutely fascinating to consider how long scorpions have been around and how successful they continue to be. I would very much like to expand my collection of scorpions.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone.
My name's Jace. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Honestly, I've been deathly afraid of spiders since I was a child, but I've also been strangely interested by them. After beginning to date my partner, who has a decent-sized collection of arachnids, I decided I should really try to become more accustomed to them! It's a slow process, but I think I have made progress - I even have a few wild-caught spiders that I'll feed and watch; not without being a little spooked, though!

I like the look of scorpions quite a bit, and I'd really like to get an Amblypygi some day... Maybe... :shy:
I look forward to meeting some new people here! :happy:

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello everyone! I have been a member for quite some time, but have been out of the loop for the last few years. I have experience with tarantulas since age 11, I'm 23 now. In the past I have successfully bred pterinochilus murinus, lasiodora difficilis, heteroscodra maculata, and psamopoeus irminia. I look forward to reconnecting with you all and learning more about these beautiful creatures!

cold blood

Staff member
Hello everyone.
My name's Jace. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Honestly, I've been deathly afraid of spiders since I was a child, but I've also been strangely interested by them. After beginning to date my partner, who has a decent-sized collection of arachnids, I decided I should really try to become more accustomed to them! It's a slow process, but I think I have made progress - I even have a few wild-caught spiders that I'll feed and watch; not without being a little spooked, though!

I like the look of scorpions quite a bit, and I'd really like to get an Amblypygi some day... Maybe... :shy:
Oh geez, a Yooper:)

Welcome to da boards, eh.:)

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Greetings All! I'm Dovey, a theatre director with a passion for creatures. Sort of an "Oooops, I fogot to have a baby, and now I've got all these nurturing instincts on my hands" situation....oh well." ;-) I keep tarantulas, mostly arboreal new worlds, but a few ground dwellers, as well. I'm mostly interested in the tropicals because they give me the excuse to create fabulous living vivariums. Several local desert species keep me: I live in New River, AZ, and there are some notable T's that regularly visit my porch to scarf up Assassin Bugs, to which I am dreadfully allergic. So yes, strictly speaking, they take care of ME!

I also raise the yummiest dubias in the world, BTW, so let me know if you need feeders or adult breeders for a starter colony. Seriously, I take excellent care of my bugs, so you can count on getting the very best feeders available anywhere.

And there's pretty much a complete food chain of other creatures around, from a sizeable collection of Southeastern US herps that were pool rescues when I lived in East Texas to a truly bumptious red bearded dragon and a pair of especially lovely ball pythons, a pastel male and a banana lesser pastel female. Also, there are some mammals around. Sometimes when you cuddle, you want a creature that will cuddle you back. That's really not so much the point with arachnids and herps, is it?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I look forward to meeting some new people here! :happy:[/QUOTE

Jace, darlin', if only you were here in these parts! I'm in New River, AZ, and we got A LOT of warm early spring rain this year, which we never, ever do. Now all the scorpions are confused and have come out wayyyyy early. There was an article in the NYTimes the other day about professional people by day who become scorpion hunters by night in Scottsdale, since you can find them with ultraviolet flashlights!

upload_2016-5-1_23-41-34.jpeg
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/29/u...pions-emerge-to-swarm-arizona-homes.html?_r=0

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
Oh geez, a Yooper:)

Welcome to da boards, eh.:)
!! Haha, I didn't think anyone would really know of that - the UP tends to be... shoved to the side often. Thankfully, the Yooper accent was left mostly with my dad. ;) Thank you for the welcome!

Jace, darlin', if only you were here in these parts! I'm in New River, AZ, and we got A LOT of warm early spring rain this year, which we never, ever do. Now all the scorpions are confused and have come out wayyyyy early. There was an article in the NYTimes the other day about professional people by day who become scorpion hunters by night in Scottsdale, since you can find them with ultraviolet flashlights!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/29/u...pions-emerge-to-swarm-arizona-homes.html?_r=0
Oh my goodness! Those poor little babies... I'd hesitantly go looking for them but probably be spooked the entire time, haha.
Very interesting article - thank you Dovey!

Dennis Cada

Arachnopeon
Hey All,

Welcome to Arachnoboards. Please take a moment to introduce yourself. Let us know who you are and what brings you here.

In October 2014 someone at my work found a live scorpion in a pallet of product being picked for shipment at my work. Well, guess who got to take it home!! The product came from California so we assume it is the desert variety native to California and Arizona. It looks like them too, kind of light brown or tan in colour.
While it is very much still alive it has been the most boring pet I've had in my life! All it does is hide in a piece of driftwood I put in the terrarium. 2-3 times a month I throw in 6-8 small crickets and 2-3 times a week I replace the cotton balls soaked in water and veggies for the thing.
Is there anything I can do to bring some excitement to it's life and have it bring a bit of excitement to mine, aside from having it sting me?
I refer to it as IT because I have no idea of it is male or female. I heard it's possible to count rows of teeth but that would be rather difficult to do with it hiding in the driftwood. For that reason I also have no photos.

PocketPirate

Arachnopeon
Hey all

My name's Enrique and I ordered my first T a few days ago from Jamie's Tarantulas and waiting for it to arrive. It's going to be a G. pulchripes. I have been researching T care for a while and despite being somewhat of an arachnophobe, there's a certain respect and wonder I've always had toward tarantulas. So I decided to take the plunge and hopefully get over my arachnophobia, though I don't really plan on handling much if at all (I'll admit I was relieved when I learned they dont need any handling whatsoever).

I'm both excited and anxious and hope I do a good job. I'm waiting on the Keeper's guide from amazon as well.

Quick question, since it's going to be a 1/2"-3/4" sling, I was wondering what was best to feed it? I live down in FL and found out dubia roaches aren't legal down here, so I was looking into discoid roache nymphs for feeding...are those still too big/dangerous? Should I rather give something like mealworms? I'd rather avoid crickets if possible but I dont mind if I have no other choice for the time being.

And is it better at this beginning stage to buy prey items as I need them or try and start my own colony? I feel that it's possible the feeders will propagate faster than I'm able to feed them off to maintain a balance and I'll just have an ever-increasing feeder population which seems inconvenient, at least for just a single T?

Thanks all, I've lurked for a while and have learned so much already. Good to meet everyone!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Hey all

My name's Enrique and I ordered my first T a few days ago from Jamie's Tarantulas and waiting for it to arrive. It's going to be a G. pulchripes. I have been researching T care for a while and despite being somewhat of an arachnophobe, there's a certain respect and wonder I've always had toward tarantulas. So I decided to take the plunge and hopefully get over my arachnophobia, though I don't really plan on handling much if at all (I'll admit I was relieved when I learned they dont need any handling whatsoever).

I'm both excited and anxious and hope I do a good job. I'm waiting on the Keeper's guide from amazon as well.

Quick question, since it's going to be a 1/2"-3/4" sling, I was wondering what was best to feed it? I live down in FL and found out dubia roaches aren't legal down here, so I was looking into discoid roache nymphs for feeding...are those still too big/dangerous? Should I rather give something like mealworms? I'd rather avoid crickets if possible but I dont mind if I have no other choice for the time being.

And is it better at this beginning stage to buy prey items as I need them or try and start my own colony? I feel that it's possible the feeders will propagate faster than I'm able to feed them off to maintain a balance and I'll just have an ever-increasing feeder population which seems inconvenient, at least for just a single T?

Thanks all, I've lurked for a while and have learned so much already. Good to meet everyone!
Mealworms are a little easier to cut up than crickets. Which is one method you can use for slings that size who may be a little timid of live prey. They will accept pieces of pre-killed prey at that age and size. Also don't be too shocked at the size of your spider, 1/2-3/4 is not as big as some folks imagine it will be.
A colony of feeders is not really worth the trouble for a single spider, provided you have easy access to someplace that sells them. Wth a single spider, many of the feeder's will grow to adulthood, produce more feeders, and die before you are able to use them all, and as you surmised, your colony will grow and become unnecessary and unused surplus.
Wander down to the Tarantula Chat and Tarantula Questions and Discussion if you have further questions.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Hey all

My name's Enrique and I ordered my first T a few days ago from Jamie's Tarantulas and waiting for it to a
rrive. It's going to be a G. pulchripes. I have been researching T care for a while and despite being somewhat of an arachnophobe, there's a certain respect and wonder I've always had toward talantulas. So I decided to take the plunge and hopefully get over my arachnophobia, though I don't really plan on handling much if at all (I'll admit I was relieved when I learned they dont need any handling whatsoever).

Enrique, what you need are first or second instar DUBIAS for that wee bad boy/girl. I'm overrun just now, and will happily send you a little nursery of 25 or so for free if you will pay postage. Let me know if youre interested

Jon Wayne

Arachnopeon
my name is jon. I have 4 t's, 2 avicularias and 2 brachis. looking to expand, I prefer avics. anyone with avics for sale, trade, or donate, please message me.

Nimmyfly

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
My name is Billie, I am 26 years old. I am from the Northern bit of California. Last year I went to a reptile convention hoping to come home with a new snake or perhaps lizard, but preferably a snake, since I have no problem feeding them... but came home with a spider instead... ironically, I am deathly afraid of spiders and their food. Previously, I only kept pets that ate vegetables, rats, or kibbles. Otherwise, I ride motorcycles (CBR 500 and VTR 250 are my two most ridden bikes), make wine, read and collect lots of books, and teach algebra at the local University. I have 2 T's and plan to expand quite a bit over the next couple years.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Hello everyone.

So another northerner? hey @cold blood should we beat him/her up for being from the wrong side of the lake?