Insects you really don't like?

Ilich

Arachnosquire
I know all of us here have a wide-variety of different arachnids and insects that we enjoy and like. However, I was just curious, which ones are there that you absolutely cannot stand what-so-ever? For me it's yellow jackets and mosquitoes. Yellow jackets make me uneasy, they're so aggressive and fast I just don't even want to look at them, gives me anxiety. I have a bunch around my house rn though and I'm not too keen on getting rid of them, but one just darted at me and tried to sting me.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Grasshoppers, crickets, locusts. I’m not sure if I technically have a phobia, I feel like it’s not bad enough to be considered a phobia, but I cannot stomach looking at a grasshopper/locust. Having one in close proximity is a nightmare. It’s stupid, but I get panicky and lightheaded. Watching some tarantula feeding videos.. can’t do it. Crickets I can stand looking at, but I think they’re repulsive.

Typing this out, I feel really embarrassed. Like of all the things I could be grossed out by/scared of...:bag::(

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Grasshoppers, crickets, locusts. I’m not sure if I technically have a phobia, I feel like it’s not bad enough to be considered a phobia, but I cannot stomach looking at a grasshopper/locust. Having one in close proximity is a nightmare. It’s stupid, but I get panicky and lightheaded. Watching some tarantula feeding videos.. can’t do it. Crickets I can stand looking at, but I think they’re repulsive.

Typing this out, I feel really embarrassed. Like of all the things I could be grossed out by/scared of...:bag::(
Nothing to be embarrassed about, though that's interesting and I suppose could be classified as a phobia? Idk, I'm not a psychologist. We all have things we don't like, for one reason or another, I don't like those particular insects either, they're parasites more-or-less.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Mosquitoes. I hate the bites. I think the appearance as such, though, doesn't bother me.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Adult B. lateralis females. I think the nymphs are kind of cute and the adult males don't bother me at all. I don't hate the females but something about the way they look just grosses me out, yuck. Fleas, I do hate fleas.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Adult B. lateralis females. I think the nymphs are kind of cute and the adult males don't bother me at all. I don't hate the females but something about the way they look just grosses me out, yuck. Fleas, I do hate fleas.
Roaches are just, yuck, I have no problem with feeding them to T's, good riddance.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Roaches are just, yuck, I have no problem with feeding them to T's, good riddance.
I don't mind feeding them to my T's and other inverts, but since almost all my T's are slings and juvies, and my warrior beetle can't catch fast prey I disable the roaches so they still move but can't run very fast before I feed so I can get them out easier if the T's don't eat. I do feel kind of bad about that.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
I don't mind feeding them to my T's and other inverts, but since almost all my T's are slings and juvies, and my warrior beetle can't catch fast prey I disable the roaches so they still move but can't run very fast before I feed so I can get them out easier if the T's don't eat. I do feel kind of bad about that.
Why? They don't really have like, feelings of pain do they? Like they don't have nerves.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Invasive ant species. Argentine ants to be specific. The small flies that infest my enclosures sometimes too.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Invasive ant species. Argentine ants to be specific. The small flies that infest my enclosures sometimes too.
Yeah, I think we can all understand that tbh, both of those can be pretty annoying. Ants are interesting, but annoying.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Ah, the vagaries of the subjective human condition. Select an insect without any redeeming qualities would be the place to start. Not just to humans mind you, but taking into account the entire food chain above the animal. Thus Pediculus Humanus Capitus pretty close to wins the prize. It has no known benefit anywhere on the food chain, aside from posing an aggravation to homosapien sub blattodea as found in vast quantities wherever governments have their operating bases.
BTW, Mosquitoes provide countless millions of suspected beneficial inoculations a day.
Ants? Worlds #1 detrivore. Count them out.
Anything that flies = potential pollinators or pest/overpopulation control.

And now back to subjective personal preferences.

Last edited:

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Ah, the vagaries of the subjective human condition. Select an insect without any redeeming qualities would be the place to start. Not just to humans mind you, but taking into account the entire food chain above the animal. Thus Pediculus Humanus Capitus pretty close to wins the prize. It has no known benefit anywhere on the food chain, aside from posing an aggravation to homosapien sub blattodea as found in vast quantities wherever governments have their operating bases.
BTW, Mosquitoes provide countless millions of suspected beneficial inoculations a day.
Ants? Worlds #1 detrivore. Count them out.
Yet mosquitoes also carry diseases and ants invade homes and eat food. They produce like crazy, a few of them dying will not be missed by mother earth.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Naw. Right in balance today. Junk yard dog mode, girding dem loins to face a couple dozen Mexico City Policy promoters.

All I'm saying in those posts is let's activate the pre-frontals and quit being so subjective, folks. What is an aggravation or benefit to mankind is by no means the weathervane we should be watching.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Naw. Right in balance today. Junk yard dog mode, girding dem loins to face a couple dozen Mexico City Policy promoters.

All I'm saying in those posts is let's activate the pre-frontals and quit being so subjective, folks. What is an aggravation or benefit to mankind is by no means the weathervane we should be watching.
You're being subjective right now, what you have is an opinion, which is indeed subjective. Believe-it-or-not, nothing you believe is guaranteed to be right.

I hate roaches, I cannot handle them.. so gross.
Seems like a lot of people don't like roaches, they're pretty creepy though, but not too bothersome.