Insects you really don't like?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I like roaches. I have a dubia colony. They are pretty interesting to watch and eat my apple cores.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
I like roaches. I have a dubia colony. They are pretty interesting to watch and eat my apple cores.
To each their own, I don't think I could keep roaches like that besides to feed T's. We all like different things though, maybe I just haven't give them a chance? idunno

NYAN

Arachnoking
To each their own, I don't think I could keep roaches like that besides to feed T's. We all like different things though, maybe I just haven't give them a chance? idunno
They are quite good especially for reptiles! Easy to maintain, they don’t smell, make noise and can’t jump or climb glass.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
They are quite good especially for reptiles! Easy to maintain, they don’t smell, make noise and can’t jump or climb glass.
I can't own any reptiles really, I was lucky my girlfriend is letting me have T's.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like most bugs. Not terribly fond of the ones that like me a little too much (as a food source) such as mosquitoes, fleas, biting flies, ticks, lice, or bedbugs. Sure, they have their place in the world - I'd just rather not be a part of their food chain.

Bot flies, screw flies, and things of that nature, on the other hand, totally give me the willies. The idea of an insect larva developing under my skin - ugh! No thank you!

Ilich

Arachnosquire
I like most bugs. Not terribly fond of the ones that like me a little too much (as a food source) such as mosquitoes, fleas, biting flies, ticks, lice, or bedbugs. Sure, they have their place in the world - I'd just rather not be a part of their food chain.

Bot flies, screw flies, and things of that nature, on the other hand, totally give me the willies. The idea of an insect larva developing under my skin - ugh! No thank you!
I think we're all generally on that train, I would never want to get bot fly larva in my skin, that would just make me feel all kinds of uneasy.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Mosquitoes may be beneficial to ecosystems (although in fact the jury is out on how important they are), and humans probably deserve to go extinct, but by God I hate mosquitoes. I would miss botflies, though, if mosquitoes were gone, although I would probably only miss them until I got a larva.

Headlice too, now that you mention them. It's been a while since I had them, but they really suck (wink).

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Mosquitoes may be beneficial to ecosystems (although in fact the jury is out on how important they are), and humans probably deserve to go extinct, but by God I hate mosquitoes. I would miss botflies, though, if mosquitoes were gone, although I would probably only miss them until I got a larva.

Headlice too, now that you mention them. It's been a while since I had them, but they really suck (wink).
That's neither here-nor-there tbh. Mosquitoes are awful though, just terrible. Why would you miss botflies exactly?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A huge shade tree overshadows an entire yard beside a quiet river out among the farms, forest and open range land. An idyllic place to take a nap in a hammock, have an picnic, enjoy a game of lawn darts or whatever. Welcome to our yard. Be prepared to donate about a half pint of blood a year if you wish to enjoy it. Maybe I exaggerate, maybe not. Around 100 to 1000 bites per hour. 5 minutes watering the orchids reaps around 20 jabs mid day. In the evening, countless..

Ilich

Arachnosquire
A huge shade tree overshadows an entire yard beside a quiet river out among the farms, forest and open range land. An idyllic place to take a nap in a hammock, have an picnic, enjoy a game of lawn darts or whatever. Welcome to our yard. Be prepared to donate about a half pint of blood a year if you wish to enjoy it. Maybe I exaggerate, maybe not. Around 100 to 1000 bites per hour. 5 minutes watering the orchids reaps around 20 jabs mid day. In the evening, countless..
That sounds like fun, what kind of humid place is this that you're inhabiting? Indonesia?

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Ok, I will admit...while I think everything has a purpose and a place on the earth,
and I tolerate most of them easily....
for some reason,
centipedes just creep me out....They literally raise the hairs on me like a spooked cat.
Going to have to get one eventually so I can get over it I suppose.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Ok, I will admit...while I think everything has a purpose and a place on the earth,
and I tolerate most of them easily....
for some reason,
centipedes just creep me out....They literally raise the hairs on me like a spooked cat.
Going to have to get one eventually so I can get over it I suppose.
Yeah, I think a lot of people would probably agree with you on that one. I don't really mind them, but they're also probably not something I'd want to own.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It is interesting how the dislike of insects varies according to locale. And within locales, regions, it gets divided into 'urban legend', both real and imagined, and actual encounters.

Around here, Thailand, and most of SE Asia, it's interesting and informative. Mosquito dislike is mostly urban legend with just about everyone has had or knowing someone who has had Dengue while in rural areas mossies are just a fact of life annoyance. For rural laborers the big bitch is mostly heterometrus and some scolopendra. Just about everyone has had a close call or two with the big blacks and the pede is automatic wham if it gets on you. Then everybody hates Cimex and most have been chomped now and then. Mites are another fact of life and if you can afford them, mite proof sheets are on sale everywhere.

Then moving into the remote jungle regions, the deathly fear and hate is caterpillars while Ts and Scorps are considered toys for the kids. Many people have run foul of the caterpillars and numerous species pack a major wallop. As a child my wife suffered clinical death from getting several on her arm. Typical hilltribe. Decades later she casually picks up any spider, corrals the scorps for me to deal with, goes stomp monster with the pedes, is wary and cautious with cobras but anything resembling a caterpillar is freak out city.

Toxicologically speaking, the big bad bang of the tropics would be the caterpillars. The urticating hairs pack a toxin from hell. A friend brushed against one and the effect was equivalent to a rattler bite. He went down on the spot in agony. Instant diaphoresis, tachypnea, with cyanosis developing in about a minute. Classical toxic shock syndrome.

Last edited:

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Why? They don't really have like, feelings of pain do they? Like they don't have nerves.
Maybe, but it just feels cruel.
I rather like Dubias, that's why I don't use them as feeders. I also keep Domino roaches as pets and they are very cute, it's just the red runners I dislike.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Why would you miss botflies exactly?
Because they're very cool. Just like most parasites, honestly. Again, I'm sure it'd be upsetting if I or a friend or family member got one, but we haven't.

There's at least one member on here who reared a botfly (I think in his arm) to adulthood. They're beautiful flies.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
For me, it's head lice. Like @The Snark said, they have virtually no purpose other than to annoy people. I had an infestation like last year and we're still recovering from it. Ugh.

I know they're beneficial and feed thousands of small animals, but I also loathe mosquitoes