1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal size enclosure for 9" T.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Petah Parkah, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Petah Parkah

Petah Parkah Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Can someone tell me the ideal size for a 9" terrestrial species? And can you give me the dimensions? I'm gonna get a specially made acrylic or glass enclosure to display my G. Pulchra.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight Active Member

9" pulchra ?! Magnificent ! I think I would go with a 20 gallon long half filled with substrate, give her a little room for a midnight stroll. I've got one that is about 12"x12"x30" which might be a touch overkill but if you've got a beautiful display animal like that you want to make something grand for her imo. I am super jelly, g. pulchra has as yet evaded me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Petah Parkah

Thanks.
    I was planning to place her between my 2 football trophies in my living room. She is a prize specimen after all.

4. Petah Parkah

If anyone's wondering, she's a hand-me-down from a friend. She's around 17 years old.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnosquire

Indiana
    10 gallon

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoknight Active Member

7. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoangel Active Member

A circus tent, because if it's really a 9" Grammostola pulchra, you have a freak of nature.

But seriously, something low-profile works best for terrestrial tarantulas. Limit vertical space (the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid) to 1.5 times the tarantula's legspan.

Excessive horizontal space does not hurt anything as long as you have the proper furnishings; it just takes up more space than you need. I try to give them at least 2x (ideally 3x) their leg span in any direction.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoprince Active Member

You have a 9 inch G. pulchra?! This I gotta see. Pics please :)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Post pics please, I've got to see this!

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Active Member

20 long if you have the space. If not, 10 gallon is OK.

11. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnodemon Active Member

That's what I thought when I first read the post, hence the reason I didn't reply, I have got to see this 9" G. pulchra - have you ever seen one over 6" - me neither, OP please post a picture with a size reference beside the spider, for some odd reason I don't think it's going to be posted. By all means prove me wrong, this I must see!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

:singing::singing:pics pics pics pleeeeease:singing::singing:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

I hate to call you a liar but that's gotta be an exaggeration, G.pulchra seldom reach over 7-8" and even those are huge specimens. Post a picture of your T next to a ruler, if it's truly that size this needs to be documented, for future reference.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Award Award x 1
  14. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

I agree completely. Spider keepers like to exaggerate sometimes. I've seen postings for 12" P regalis in my area.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. mconnachan

I've never seen one over the six inch mark, it's possible but I've never seen one that big. As for 9" well....:nailbiting:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

Maybe it's not a pulchra, but a P.antinous...that species gets rather large....

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoprince Active Member

That was my suspicion.

I have a very large pulchra around the 7inches mark. Even at that i think she is large for her species

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. The Grym Reaper

I'm fairly sure that 7" is about as big as they get.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mconnachan

Sorry, what was that, still no picture......mmm

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. The Grym Reaper

Yeah... I'm going with what @Andrea82 said seeing as I've previously described P. antinous females as "G. pulchra on steroids".

• Funny Funny x 2