Ideal size enclosure for 9" T.

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire
Can someone tell me the ideal size for a 9" terrestrial species? And can you give me the dimensions? I'm gonna get a specially made acrylic or glass enclosure to display my G. Pulchra.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
9" pulchra ?! Magnificent ! I think I would go with a 20 gallon long half filled with substrate, give her a little room for a midnight stroll. I've got one that is about 12"x12"x30" which might be a touch overkill but if you've got a beautiful display animal like that you want to make something grand for her imo. I am super jelly, g. pulchra has as yet evaded me.

Petah Parkah

Arachnosquire
9" pulchra ?! Magnificent ! I think I would go with a 20 gallon long half filled with substrate, give her a little room for a midnight stroll. I've got one that is about 12"x12"x30" which might be a touch overkill but if you've got a beautiful display animal like that you want to make something grand for her imo. I am super jelly, g. pulchra has as yet evaded me.
Thanks.
I was planning to place her between my 2 football trophies in my living room. She is a prize specimen after all.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Can someone tell me the ideal size for a 9" terrestrial species? And can you give me the dimensions? I'm gonna get a specially made acrylic or glass enclosure to display my G. Pulchra.
A circus tent, because if it's really a 9" Grammostola pulchra, you have a freak of nature.

But seriously, something low-profile works best for terrestrial tarantulas. Limit vertical space (the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid) to 1.5 times the tarantula's legspan.

Excessive horizontal space does not hurt anything as long as you have the proper furnishings; it just takes up more space than you need. I try to give them at least 2x (ideally 3x) their leg span in any direction.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
You have a 9 inch G. pulchra?! This I gotta see. Pics please :)
That's what I thought when I first read the post, hence the reason I didn't reply, I have got to see this 9" G. pulchra - have you ever seen one over 6" - me neither, OP please post a picture with a size reference beside the spider, for some odd reason I don't think it's going to be posted. By all means prove me wrong, this I must see!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I hate to call you a liar but that's gotta be an exaggeration, G.pulchra seldom reach over 7-8" and even those are huge specimens. Post a picture of your T next to a ruler, if it's truly that size this needs to be documented, for future reference.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I hate to call you a liar but that's gotta be an exaggeration, G.pulchra seldom reach over 7-8" and even those are huge specimens. Post a picture of your T next to a ruler, if it's truly that size this needs to be documented, for future reference.
I agree completely. Spider keepers like to exaggerate sometimes. I've seen postings for 12" P regalis in my area.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've never seen one over the six inch mark, it's possible but I've never seen one that big. As for 9" well....:anxious:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe it's not a pulchra, but a P.antinous...that species gets rather large....

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Maybe it's not a pulchra, but a P.antinous...that species gets rather large....
That was my suspicion.

I have a very large pulchra around the 7inches mark. Even at that i think she is large for her species

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
That was my suspicion.

I have a very large pulchra around the 7inches mark. Even at that i think she is large for her species
I'm fairly sure that 7" is about as big as they get.
Sorry, what was that, still no picture......mmm