I gotta new pet scorpion!!

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards and the hobby vtecgsr. Don't let these guys give you to much crap. ;)

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Empi said:
Hey c mon man. Give the kid a break. He is new to the scorp thing. I'm sure he was expecting his scorp to be a really active killing machine. I know thats what I was thinking way back in the day when I got my first scorp. I mean look at the emps. Who wouldn't expect that. From what he has said he is taking care of it right and that is more than I can say for most newbies that buy emps and keep them in desert conditions. In fact that is more than I can say for most pet stores. Unless someone is torturing they're animals or keeping them in poor conditions or not feeding them, I would say that they disserve to keep them just as much as the rest of us. So get over it already. I mean is that any way to welcome someone to the boards or the hobby for that matter. You guys are acting like your better than him just because you have been doing it longer. :embarrassed: And in case you hadn't noticed he is trying to get the answers to his questions on the net. Or did you not notice that this forum is an information sharing source on the NET! :? So get your panties out of that bunch they're in and answer the kids more than valid questions!!!! :evil:
Well, first of all I think this is a place where persons who are fascinated by scorpions and other arachnids share their toughts and information, not a place where violent kids want to find agressive scorpions. I think they should understand that those animals are not toys and they should have much more respect on them and other animals. I just get creeps when someone asks "which scorpion is the most agressive" "which one is the greatest killer" "which one is the meanest" "who would win a scorpion fight, an androctonus or an emperor"...and I do have prejudice about the people who ask those questions! :wall:
I don't think we will be seing much more of this kid...after a few weeks it will be "which dog is the meanest"//// :( ////

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Greets-

I'm not a big fan of U.S. scorps (aside from Diplocentrus spp.) but I just got my first H. arizonensis and H. arizonensis variant "pallidus" a few weeks back and they've not been a disappointment.
They tend to be more active than many available scorpion species, easy to house, care for and for the most part, are quick to react defensively to proximal disturbances if they cannot escape into their retreats.
They can move moderately-fast and will "sting" if afforded such an opportunity so, exercise a bit of caution if you're working in the enclosure and your arizonensis is out on a walk-about. Of my two specimens, the "pallidus" is not as reactive as the typical arizonensis but the typical arizonensis tends to be more active and possesses a truly ravenous appetite!
In defense of the emperor: I have 30+ specimens (some I've had for going on 11 years) and contemplating on acquiring another 10 before spring. While they're not the most active lot, emps are behaviorally interesting and if kept optimally, will become active and exit their retreats during low-light (crepuscular) conditions into the deep of night.
They will accept "pinkie" and "fuzzie" mice, anoles, geckos and even neonate garter snakes. Several of my oldest fems will take pieces of raw, cubed chicken from my fingers and eat on my lap (these are long-term fems - 8 or more years in captivity).
Lastly, I maintain a collection of 90+ scorpions and while I've never found a scorp I didn't like, no other genus (except, Heterometrus) can compete with the emperor for sheer impressability!
As for P. cavimanus - they do not attain the size of emps, are definitely more defensively-reactive to disturbances and will not often hesitate to "pinch" or "sting" (typically, males and younger specimens) and tend to be more secretive and reclusive than emps, spending most of a 24 hour period secreted within their extensive burrows.
I have specimens that I rarely see in a 30 day period and the only way I can tell that they're still alive and well is by remnants of prey outside of burrow entrances!

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
Well, first of all I think this is a place where persons who are fascinated by scorpions and other arachnids share their toughts and information, not a place where violent kids want to find agressive scorpions. I think they should understand that those animals are not toys and they should have much more respect on them and other animals. I just get creeps when someone asks "which scorpion is the most agressive" "which one is the greatest killer" "which one is the meanest" "who would win a scorpion fight, an androctonus or an emperor"...and I do have prejudice about the people who ask those questions! :wall:
I don't think we will be seing much more of this kid...after a few weeks it will be "which dog is the meanest"//// :( ////
I can see what your saying but he is a kid and that's what they like to see in this country unfortunatly. If he is taking care of them right though and not torturing them I don't see what the problem is. Because wanting to see his scorpion feed is not affecting the well being of the animal at this point. As long as the only thing he wants to see it being aggressive towards is its prey than there is not an issue here. Look at the tv programs you see about scorps. They are made out to be exactly what this kid was expecting. After owning only emps for a long time I wanted something more aggresive as well. I wanted to see a scorp kill its prey with a sting! I think your right when you say we won't see much of this kid in the future but it is probly going to be do to the way he is being treated. And I think the scorpion fighting thing was discused a couple weeks ago and I did not see you complaining about that..

Last edited:

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Empi said:
I can see what your saying but he is a kid and that's what they like to see in this country unfortunatly. If he is taking care of them right though and not torturing them I don't see what the problem is. Because wanting to see his scorpion feed is not affecting the well being of the animal at this point. As long as the only thing he wants to see it being aggressive towards is its prey than there is not an issue here. Look at the tv programs you see about scorps. They are made out to be exactly what this kid was expecting. After owning only emps for a long time I wanted something more aggresive as well. I wanted to see a scorp kill its prey with a sting! I think your right when you say we won't see much of this kid in the future but it is probly going to be do to the way he is being treated. And I think the scorpion fighting thing was discused a couple weeks ago and I did not see you complaining about that..
Thanx bro... and as for the other guy... I dont mistreat the scorpion and i feed it regularly.... I wanna see some action is that a bad thing?? And can i ask you empi... since you seem to be a more understanding member, what do you think about a desert hairy in my situation? Any other suggestions...

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
vtecgsr said:
Thanx bro... and as for the other guy... I dont mistreat the scorpion and i feed it regularly.... I wanna see some action is that a bad thing?? And can i ask you empi... since you seem to be a more understanding member, what do you think about a desert hairy in my situation? Any other suggestions...
To be honest with you I have yet to own a desert hairy. I hear they are really great scorps though.. And pretty easy to take care of. And they are big too which is always cool. I like C. vittatus (texas bark scorpion) They are small but very active day and night. I normally see a couple during the day and then when the lights go out they all come out and explore. And you can keep a few of them in the same encloser. They sting they're prey too. But there is a lot of good scorps out there so it is hard to recomend just one. :D

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Empi said:
To be honest with you I have yet to own a desert hairy. I hear they are really great scorps though.. And pretty easy to take care of. And they are big too which is always cool. I like C. vittatus (texas bark scorpion) They are small but very active day and night. I normally see a couple during the day and then when the lights go out they all come out and explore. And you can keep a few of them in the same encloser. They sting they're prey too. But there is a lot of good scorps out there so it is hard to recomend just one. :D
Haha, i live in texas and was once stung several times in a row by a texas bark... if i could ever catch one i might... but i dont live near any

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
vtecgsr said:
Haha, i live in texas and was once stung several times in a row by a texas bark... if i could ever catch one i might... but i dont live near any
Well in that case you could buy a desert hairy and then you could always go out and catch some C. vittatus later if you decide you want some. :D

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
vtecgsr-

I just acquired 2 desert hairy scorps a bit back and they're great! Large, active, easy to care for and quite interesting. They do envenomate captured prey and tend to be very active when it starts getting dark and through the entire night.
The "pallidus" variant is a lighter color form of arizonensis and quite beautiful. Best of luck on the acquisition!

Antares

Arachnopeon
vtecgsr said:
I think H. arizonensis or H. spadix are actually better beginner scorps than P. imperator because they don't require the high humidity level that can be tricky to achieve when you are not experienced. All you need for an Hadrurus is an enclosure about the same size as for a Pandinus, but with sand in it (mixed with some peat to stabilize it). You don't need to mist or put a water cup, as Hadrurus do not like humidity at all. My H. spadix is my most active scorp, it spends all its time (night and day) digging around its enclosure, so you'll probably see it a lot more than your Pandinus. It is not a dangerous scorp either, thought its sting is reported to hurt much more than a Pandinus'.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Barkscorpions said:
vtecgsr-

I just acquired 2 desert hairy scorps a bit back and they're great! Large, active, easy to care for and quite interesting. They do envenomate captured prey and tend to be very active when it starts getting dark and through the entire night.
The "pallidus" variant is a lighter color form of arizonensis and quite beautiful. Best of luck on the acquisition!
Yeah... i noticed... there nocturnal :? And there active at night... my emp walks around his tank all night and taps the windows with his claws... how are you sposed observe them at night?

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just use a black light to see em thats what i do with all my scorpions, works great cuz it dont scare em and they go about there business. and emps do tend to spend alot and i mean alot of time in there burows, and sounds like in your case you prolly should get a Desert Hairy cuz there alot more active and have alot of attitude so it sounds like thats what ya want, and there pretty easy to take care of, some good heat and pretty much no humidity and good burowing substrait, like sand and wet down and dry it and give it about 4-5 inches of it cuz they love to dig, and you should be set, oh and one more thing dont give it a water dish, theys guys are very sensitive to humidity and thats about it good luck.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ThatGuy said:
Just use a black light to see em thats what i do with all my scorpions, works great cuz it dont scare em and they go about there business. and emps do tend to spend alot and i mean alot of time in there burows, and sounds like in your case you prolly should get a Desert Hairy cuz there alot more active and have alot of attitude so it sounds like thats what ya want, and there pretty easy to take care of, some good heat and pretty much no humidity and good burowing substrait, like sand and wet down and dry it and give it about 4-5 inches of it cuz they love to dig, and you should be set, oh and one more thing dont give it a water dish, theys guys are very sensitive to humidity and thats about it good luck.
Thanks for the heads up... i read that they draw most of their moisture needs from their prey? So they dont need water or what?? I love there look too... as soon i get my next pay check its gonna be desert hairy time... I will probably give back the emperor to the pet shop or sell it to my friend... cuz i know you cant have two different species in a scorpion tank...

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
sounds like a plan, and ya they pretty much get all they need out of there prey, good luck with it. :cool:

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
Vtecgsr, this might interest you...

www.pitofhorror.com/Scorpions/Video/HAvideo.avi

Also, check out the most recent pics in my "Calling all H.a keepers..." thread ;).
That was awesome thanks.... hey how much for a desert hairy and if i bought two males they wouldnt fight would they? Thas what communal means right that they can live with others....? In black light the scorpion is thinking he is in darkness right? Oh and how often would a desert hairy feed? Also they dont drink water? that seems kinda weird...

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Last edited:

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I suggest not to over feed your Haddy's. They will get quite fat if you feed them alot, cause they will keep eating. I find 2 crickets a week does them fine, maybe 3 on occassion, but not often.

Also, be careful trying to put two males together. Odds are the only reason a male and female can cohabitate is cause mating. Check through the other cohabitation threads by others, I think Kug and maybe Dave did one. They might have had same sex specimens.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Juice said:
Try this http://visualadvance.com/invertcare/caresheets/scorpions/Hadrurus/

This http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/H-arizonensis.html

And buy a book on scorpions, It will answer most of your questions and tell you how to properly care for them before you buy a scorpion. "Scorpions" by barrons is a nice book in my IMO.

I still suggest B.Jacksoni. Mine Sting anything that moves,Never refuse food, & Take down crix as big as them.

What are you going to do with the emp(s) you have :eek:
Thanx guys... ummm, ill do some research on that scorp and when i get im not gonna let it in tank until my other one is gone... ill prolly give him back to the pet shop... B.jackson, ill look it up... ok looked it up could not find anything and that one site just keeps saying nope forbidden or some shit...

Last edited: