I gotta new pet scorpion!!

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah i got a new black emperor scorpion.... and it is soooooo boring... He never eats or does anything just sits under his rock all day... I want a more aggressive scorpion, i did some research and found an african redclaw may be ideal for me.... what scorpion should i get? I want a large one that is aggressive enough to kill whatever is in the cage with him just for being there... advice please?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
Get A New Hobby.
I second that one, Scoprions are one, nocturnal predators, 2 ambush predators, Excpetions can and are preasent.

Many more 'active scorpions' have more 'active venom' or are considered hot, While I'm sure you'd be "very careful" and "respectful" of a more Advanced pet, I would not recomend you testing this out, P imps are docile scorpions big and readily available, but often mis-represented, They are a tropical burrowing species and most will sit at the entrace to their abode waiting for their Prey. They are also nocturnal atop of this, so-Visability is an issue, If you truely want to stay within this hobby I recomend a Araziona special-Deset hairy-I can't remember Latin names [I have horrible memory] but they are active mild venom and make scrapes instead of burrows. Do research on any and all pets before you get them, Exotic or as plain as a dog, And hopefully find a good home for the Emp you are now disatasfied, I can only trust you won't neglect him because he isn't "all that and a bag of chips"

Click for Here<<< a thread that was just started on "Desert hairies" PM some of them or simply ask questions in the thread, I think 'if' you must get another scorpion you'd enjoy that one.

Last edited:

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
once again i'd have to say Vaejovis species are the most active.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just wanna know what scorpion is aggressive, but not lethal... i know im new at this... maybe i should get a spider....

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
"and it is soooooo boring"

That is the comment right there. Get a new hobby.

Sorry, but the truth can hurt... what did you expect? The scorp to run out and repeatedly sting it's prey to death before giving it the people's -freakin'- elbow? :?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spiders Are in the same line as a scorpion, Research first, Then purchase, by asking on here it shows some Responsibility, Veajus as said is a good Scorpion for activity, as far as spiders go they are about as active as your emp, Its not easy finding an 'active' Arachnid that doesn't have good venom to it-Activity draws attention by predators, And They need to defend themselves. If you want spiders-Tarantulas in specific since thats probably where you are leading I'd Recomend A Red knee or curly hair-but again their considered pet rocks, while they have good apitites you may never see them move.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
vtecgsr said:
I just wanna know what scorpion is aggressive, but not lethal... i know im new at this... maybe i should get a spider....
In that case... Hadrurus arizonensis (Desert Hairy). All I'd say... is respect the responsibility you take on.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
In that case... Hadrurus arizonensis (Desert Hairy). All I'd say... is respect the responsibility you take on.
Respect... what do you mean... ok a desert hairy scorpion... is it aggressive? I mean like territorial is a better word probably... thanx.. but to anyone im sory im not an expert scorpion person or whatever so ya...

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It seems to me that maybe you bought this scorp for the wrong reasons.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Whatever you buy... no matter how aggressive (or not) or active (or not) it is, you need to look after it, THAT is the responsibility, that is the respect. If not, give it back to wherever you purchased it.

Goodluck.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
Whatever you buy... no matter how aggressive (or not) or active (or not) it is, you need to look after it, THAT is the responsibility, that is the respect. If not, give it back to wherever you purchased it.

Goodluck.
Well haha its been to weeks if i didnt "look after it" it would be dead by now... I mean in this whole two weeks its eaten 3 times and i havent seen one time yet... Im gonna look into a desert hairy now... I just want an active and territorial scorpion so i can watch it kill its prey thats all... if there arent any like that then maybe i should get something better...

innocence lost

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Highlander said:
It seems to me that maybe you bought this scorp for the wrong reasons.

I agree.. My emps are great.. They dont put on shows for me or anything like that... but I love them. Maybe you should get some fish, they are always moving around..

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
vtecgsr said:
Well haha its been to weeks if i didnt "look after it" it would be dead by now... I mean in this whole two weeks its eaten 3 times and i havent seen one time yet... Im gonna look into a desert hairy now... I just want an active and territorial scorpion so i can watch it kill its prey thats all... if there arent any like that then maybe i should get something better...

I agree with you, emperor scorpions are really pretty dull, its very difficult to see many of the more interesting scorpion behaviors with these guys and when kept right they can be inactive for long periods of time. Rather then get out of hobby getting other species of scorpion is a much better idea, the desert hairys people have mentioned are excellent if you want an active an aggressive scorpion.

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's strange to hear. My emperor is rather active. It spends most of its day under its hides but comes out around 6PM and walks around and drinks water, etc. I always hear it roaming around and bumping into the sides of the tank at night!

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I first bought my emp he was very active but after a few months I rarley saw him unless I happened to wake up in the middle of the night and peer into his tank. He was never active during the early hours of the night though.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok that sounds cool... so a desert hairy? Anyone got pix? Does anyone have any objections or contradicting ideas to what species i should get?? Oh and btw who wants to see pix of my emperor?

buthidae46290

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
vtecgsr said:
Ok that sounds cool... so a desert hairy? Anyone got pix? Does anyone have any objections or contradicting ideas to what species i should get?? Oh and btw who wants to see pix of my emperor?
Look it up on google images, thats what I always do when Im bored or want to see what something looks like...I just got a couple desert hairies a couple weeks ago and they havent been a dissapointment, youll have fun with them.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
buthidae46290 said:
Look it up on google images, thats what I always do when Im bored or want to see what something looks like...I just got a couple desert hairies a couple weeks ago and they havent been a dissapointment, youll have fun with them.
thanks... i shall

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do all scorpions eat small insects primarily?? Is there a big enough scorpion that would eat say a small mouse? Or a gecko? What is the biggest scorpion out there?