I gotta new pet scorpion!!

buthidae46290

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
vtecgsr said:
Do all scorpions eat small insects primarily?? Is there a big enough scorpion that would eat say a small mouse? Or a gecko? What is the biggest scorpion out there?
Emps are the biggest...Flatrock scorpion males get longer but thats about it. Desert Haries get almost as big but I think Emps are the only ones that could maybe handle a pinkie mouse or a small lizard.

Ciryluk3g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
vtecgsr said:
Do all scorpions eat small insects primarily?? Is there a big enough scorpion that would eat say a small mouse? Or a gecko? What is the biggest scorpion out there?
I have fed my adult female Heterometrus spinifer fuzzy mice before now (while gravid)!

As for biggest scorpion either emps or Heterometrus swammerdami.

Maybe you could consider a Heterometrus species (laoticus, spinifer, swammerdami)? Care is pretty similar to emps, can be kept communally too. They are generally more aggressive than emps and in my experience spend a great deal of time out in the open. I have observed my H.laoticus stinging their prey, my H.spinifer generally doesn't sting her prey but catches her prey using her large claws... still pretty fun to watch none the less! :)

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
buthidae46290 said:
Emps are the biggest...Flatrock scorpion males get longer but thats about it. Desert Haries get almost as big but I think Emps are the only ones that could maybe handle a pinkie mouse or a small lizard.
Cool.... ok, i was looking at an african redclaw... apparently are aggressive and look cool... I looked at the desert hairy as well, both sound good i think ill stick with the desert hairy... is it better to get one that has been raised in captivity or caught wild? What is communal mean? What is considered to be the most aggressive large species of scorpion....?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
DEFEND THE EMPS!!

might i add, that if you keep an emperor at 30 degrees Celsius, then it becomes alot more active. the more active it gets, the more angry it gets!

mine regularly hisses and gets pissed off at me, its all about HOW you keep them, its easy to say a particular scorp is boring if a) you dont watch it when its naturally going to hunt, and b) you arnt prepared to keep it optimally

good luck with your P.cavimanus :) (=African red/cave claw)

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Emperor scorpion is far from boring, she is a beast! Very active, very aggressive and a very efficient predator.

And listen to George, a scorpion at the correct temperature is a far more interesting scorpion! ;)

And yes, P. cavimanus is typically more defensive/aggressive than P. imperator, but will not attain the same size (it's smaller).

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My emp. is boring for the most part but I love her still. It all really depends on the time of the month. Sometimes she is active every night and somtimes she sits in her cave for a couple weeks at a time. She is still a great scorp though. I feed her a pinky every couple months and she loves big lobster roaches. I would recomend C. vittatus. They are active all of the time and they sting they're prey which is always fun to watch. They are probly my favorite scorps. At least out of the ones I have. :D

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I also think this kid doesn't need any scorps or tarantulas. You can tell buy the quetions he is asking that he wants one for the wrong reason. He doesn't know nothing about scorps & does he ask any questions about caring for any of the scorps mentioned..... No just do they sting their prey.

I had a desert hary at one time & he was pretty active but he rarely stung his prey in front of me. Most of the time I would walk out of the room and when I came back he was eating. Also desert hairy's are known to fast for long periods so they might also get boring & you will be looking for another scorp.

I suggest buying a book on scorpions. Find out how to properly care for the scorp you are interested in buying.

http://visualadvance.com/invertcare/caresheets/scorpions/Hadrurus/Hadrurusarizonensis.html

http://visualadvance.com/invertcare/caresheets/scorpions/Hadrurus/Hadrurusspadix.html

Last edited:

MattM

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think a videogame would suit you more then scorpions. Or rent a movie or something. You sound like the person who'd enjoy seeing a scorpion sting its prey a few times, get bored after he'd done a couple of times and then toss it out. And since you already put a questionmark behind the word respect, I expect your scorps to be dead within a few weeks.

Sorry to say, but I don't think this is the hobby you are looking for. :(

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Juice said:
I also think this kid doesn't need any scorps or tarantulas. You can tell buy the quetions he is asking that he wants one for the wrong reason. He doesn't know nothing about scorps & does he ask any questions about caring for any of the scorps mentioned..... No just do they sting their prey.

I had a desert hary at one time & he was pretty active but he rarely stung his prey in front of me. Most of the time I would walk out of the room and when I came back he was eating. Also desert hairy's are known to fast for long periods so they might also get boring & you will be looking for another scorp.

I suggest buying a book on scorpions. Find out how to properly care for the scorp you are interested in buying.

http://visualadvance.com/invertcare/caresheets/scorpions/Hadrurus/Hadrurusarizonensis.html

http://visualadvance.com/invertcare/caresheets/scorpions/Hadrurus/Hadrurusspadix.html
Yeah... well regardless of what you think i have done my research an found that emperor is a forest dwelling species which likes to be kept in a humid environment in which the temp should not drop below 74 degrees... Just becuz he is boring doesnt mean i mistreat him... no one answered my questions, what does communal mean? And is it better to get one that is wild caught or captivated its whole life?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Commnual is the happy state where two or more scorpions can 'co-exist- in one Habitat-IE Your tank. And CB verses WC, CB have less parasites and are allready estabilished into the life of captivity but I believe the Desert hairies are noctoriously hard to breed and CB individuals would be a rare find.

Scorpionidad

Arachno-overlord
Old Timer
Hmm

You and I can relate. I had the same reaction to them after the first few months. But then it hit me...you have to not just love them for what they do there in that cage. You have to respect what they are. Scorpions are one of the oldest sentient species on earth; ancestors date back 350M years and were around before the dinosaurs were even thought of, they can glow in black light (how cool is that?!), they can take out just about any prey you throw at 'em, look at them they're just freaking cool!, I'm probably missing SOMETHING but you get the picture!!!

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
"and it is soooooo boring"

That is the comment right there. Get a new hobby.

Sorry, but the truth can hurt... what did you expect? The scorp to run out and repeatedly sting it's prey to death before giving it the people's -freakin'- elbow? :?

That would be way cool lmao.

I have an emp and its amazing what you have to do is feed it when its out at night and then sit patiently and watch. They have these cool claws that come out of their face and manipulate their prey with them.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well then I suggest a couple of B.Jacksoni. While you were doing your research you should have read that scorps are ambush predators that sit and wait for prey & that They are nocturnal.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Juice said:
Well then I suggest a couple of B.Jacksoni. While you were doing your research you should have read that scorps are ambush predators that sit and wait for prey & that They are nocturnal.
Desert hairy it is....

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd say B. jacksoni are too hot for a first scorp (especially in this kind of situation), they are possibly a 3/5 right (although more likely a healthy 2/5)? And they are a buthid.

Go for a Desert Hairy (Hadrurus arizonensis).

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
I'd say B. jacksoni are too hot for a first scorp (especially in this kind of situation), they are possibly a 3/5 right (although more likely a healthy 2/5)? And they are a buthid.

Go for a Desert Hairy (Hadrurus arizonensis).
Thanks everyone for putting up with the newbie!!!

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
vtecgsr said:
Desert hairy it is....
What about purchasing "streefighter"? Cmon, leave those poor scorpions alone...they don't need someone to love them but also don't need someone to misstreat them. If you found out the basic information about the emperor scorpion several weeks after u bought it, then u don't deserve to keep any animal at all! All those questions u are asking are kind of offensive because u can easily find the answers on the net with a little search!
Stick to videogames, it will be much more interesting...

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
What about purchasing "streefighter"? Cmon, leave those poor scorpions alone...they don't need someone to love them but also don't need someone to misstreat them. If you found out the basic information about the emperor scorpion several weeks after u bought it, then u don't deserve to keep any animal at all! All those questions u are asking are kind of offensive because u can easily find the answers on the net with a little search!
Actually your wrong... i did all my scorpion care research in advance so calm down there...

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
Hey c mon man. Give the kid a break. He is new to the scorp thing. I'm sure he was expecting his scorp to be a really active killing machine. I know thats what I was thinking way back in the day when I got my first scorp. I mean look at the emps. Who wouldn't expect that. From what he has said he is taking care of it right and that is more than I can say for most newbies that buy emps and keep them in desert conditions. In fact that is more than I can say for most pet stores. Unless someone is torturing they're animals or keeping them in poor conditions or not feeding them, I would say that they disserve to keep them just as much as the rest of us. So get over it already. I mean is that any way to welcome someone to the boards or the hobby for that matter. You guys are acting like your better than him just because you have been doing it longer. :embarrassed: And in case you hadn't noticed he is trying to get the answers to his questions on the net. Or did you not notice that this forum is an information sharing source on the NET! :? So get your panties out of that bunch they're in and answer the kids more than valid questions!!!! :evil: