Hi all

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The B. vagans does nothing for me, unfortunately. I think my B. verdezi is much prettier with the tan carapace instead of the black. I would have gone for the G. pulchripes because they are just so gorgeous, but that is me. I adore my two.
My verdezi is a little firecracker and has attacked my tongs more than once when I tried to remove her water dish. She has an awesome feeding response and hasn't turned down a meal yet, even though she looks as if she's in premoult. I'm surprised that they are not more popular.

draiko

Arachnosquire
My spider came out this morning. Climbed up the sides and sat there for a while. His fangs are black now. So when he went back into his little house i threw in a small roach cuz i thought he might be looking for food.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My spider came out this morning. Climbed up the sides and sat there for a while. His fangs are black now. So when he went back into his little house i threw in a small roach cuz i thought he might be looking for food.
They don't "look for food" that way. It was likely just exploring. They are a "lie in wait / ambush" predator, not a Phoneutria which is an active wandering spider.
Mine scale the sides sometimes and I believe they are attempting to "push" off the lid of the Kritter Keeper. Eventually they give up and lumber back down to the substrate.

draiko

Arachnosquire
It ate! I left a dead cockroach for about a day. And this morning it was gone. I must add, I am at my Gfs house and its a good 5 degrees warmer and its chilling outside now until I come closer. Very chuffed!

EDIT: and Im pretty sure its a brachypelma Albiceps. Because it has a yellow back already. Im not sure if the Vagans has a yellow back at the beginning?

Last edited:

Tarantula dude

Arachnosquire
I have a b.vagans sling. No bigger than an inch and my oh my. I love the little guy/girl. The B.vagans is an awesome T. Good choice man!

draiko

Arachnosquire
Yesterday after he ate the first one i threw in another one and i crush their heads. But now i see its also eaten. Or gone. Do they leave a skeleton or something behind?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yesterday after he ate the first one i threw in another one and i crush their heads. But now i see its also eaten. Or gone. Do they leave a skeleton or something behind?
Sometimes they will leave pieces of prey items laying around the enclosure. If you see them pick them out.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
They leave a little ball of indigestible pieces like those balls that owls puke up filled with bone and fur. You might see a cricket leg sticking out. They sometimes like to place them in their water dish hoping that they are flushed downstream.

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I got back into terrestrial tarantulas again I had a 1/2" B. vagans shipped to me. Such a charming species, I find them underrated. I like almost any Brachypelma though, I'm sure if it is a B. albiceps you'll still find it entertaining.

draiko

Arachnosquire
Just fed him and saw him eat for the first time! Was so cool. And he dug alot!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
They look similar to my B. verdezi. I'm no expert, though. Some of them look very similar at that size.
_DSC3702-2-2.jpg

draiko

Arachnosquire
Thats a beautiful spider. Thanks for the reply. Might be! But i think its definitely not a Vagans

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Added more substrate. Here he is. Doesnt he look like albiceps?
This is a picture of my sling "Jessica Albaceps". :astonished:
I think she was about 1-1.5 inches at the time.
Screenshot_20160606-152739.jpg

Carapace looks a little lighter to me.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not sure of the availability of that species in the us, but it could also be a B.kahlenbergi. The carapace looks to dark for an albiceps. Kahlenbergi has a lighter, more reddish carapace than vagans,but darker than an albiceps.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Probably a mutt. There are a few Brachys that look similar. It's not a pure vagans, but it isn't an albiceps either. Enjoy him, but don't breed him.