Hi all

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Brachypelma vagans
-Grammostola pulchripes

I would recommend these two. Get one of each. I am not sure what a "scarlet bird eater" is, I can only venture guesses based on google images for that phrase. But I would not bother with that one.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I would recommend Grammostola pulchripes over Brachypelma vagans. IME B. vagans is feisty and defensive. They kick a lot of hairs and I think that B. vagans hairs are some of the worst.

Both of them are suitable for beginners, but I'd recommend the G. pulchripes just to be safe...

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Not sure, as I got a lot of mixed results when I went looking. Once site used this species Lasiodora Klugi for the species name but I have no idea if that is correct. I'd snap a shot and see if someone could ID from that. Most likely a pet store mis-name.
That's what I've heard as well . I've also heard Bahia Bird Eater , but to be honest without the use of scientific names it's anybody's guess

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
I have three vagans juvies. 2 of them are pretty skittish, making straight for the burrow when I open their enclosures. But the third one is a bit wiley. It hasn't given me a threat pose but has kicked at me multiple times and always turns to face me. It is very jumpy. I would agree with @Venom1080 if youre going to get a vagans I would be prepared for some attitude

draiko

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, here is the tarantula i bought.
The bird eater one is a Lasiodora Klugi.
I got cockroaches and it molted yesterday so dhe said to give it a few days before i feed it. I put a water in with gel. Must I spray with water aswell?
I got the Vagan.

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Hi guys, here is the tarantula i bought.
The bird eater one is a Lasiodora Klugi.
I got cockroaches and it molted yesterday so dhe said to give it a few days before i feed it. I put a water in with gel. Must I spray with water aswell?
I got the Vagan.
Cool deal man. Yeah it just molted, you can tell by it's fangs being white. You want to let the turn dark black before you feed it. I would add some more substrate in if you have some extra and I would let the substrate dry out. The water dish looks good.

I thought it could be a Lasiodora Klugi but wasn't sure. Good to know.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

draiko

Arachnosquire
Thanks trenor. What do you mean by letting the substrate dry out?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It could be just the way it looks on the photo or the type of substrate but it looks damp to me. If it is, I would not add any water to the substrate and let it dry out. I keep my B.vagan slings on damp substrate but they like drier substrate when they get bigger. The water dish should be fine for providing humidity.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No, seriously that's too cold, man. I wouldn't keep a Theraphosidae in such a cold environment. Check G.rosea, for instance; while the Chile desert at night it's pretty cold, at least the days are hot, and more than 21°C i assume.

Think about certain delicate Asian OW's arboreals slings... they will die. But as i've said, i wouldn't keep even adults specimen with those temps.

Space heather, or another system for protect those from cold, is mandatory in such cases.

Andromalius

Arachnopeon
I put a water in with gel. Must I spray with water aswell?
Drop the gel, don't spray. :D Cross ventilate, add holes on the upper sides of the enclo, so heat doesn't dissipate so easily, IMO, but I'm guessing the lid has holes on the sides. So don't bother if they have. :D

Ryuti

Arachnopeon
No, seriously that's too cold, man. I wouldn't keep a Theraphosidae in such a cold environment. Check G.rosea, for instance; while the Chile desert at night it's pretty cold, at least the days are hot, and more than 21°C i assume.

Think about certain delicate Asian OW's arboreals slings... they will die. But as i've said, i wouldn't keep even adults specimen with those temps.

Space heather, or another system for protect those from cold, is mandatory in such cases.
I got a little space heater for about 16-20 bucks on amazon so it's not like you need to get a huge expensive one either.