Help ! T.stirmi worry

Lynndam

Arachnopeon
I'm new as well but I would put more ventilation in the enclosure. I know they like it moist, but you still want good airflow if my understanding is correct.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Hi yes thank you I really want to rehouse it and add more dirt but I think she is in pre molt and moving her out and about especially a rehouse will do no good , what do you reckon I have 4” of sub right now do I take her out and rehouse with more dirt etc etc or do I let her molt then do It
There are some people who I know would take the spider out and immediately add more dirt. However, if she is close to moulting and you haven't watched her try to climb too much, I'd wager she'd be okay until after moulting. But to really pinpoint an exact time of when that moult might be isn't really an exact science. If you do keep her in there, I would try to drill some more air holes. However, the major thing that shows too much moisture is condensation of water on the walls and if that's not happening the airflow isn't obviously horrible. ;) How black is her rump? Is it pretty dark? That's one of the best indicators of an impending moult. If it's almost blackish then I'd say she'll moult in the next week or two, if it's not that dark yet it could be another month or so and moving her wouldn't be harmful to her. Honestly, even if she were to moult in the next seven days you could still move her tomorrow and not harm her moulting process. It's really only when they are actively moulting and the days to weeks directly afterwards where their fangs are hardening back up where you have to sort of watch them and not disturb them.

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
There are some people who I know would take the spider out and immediately add more dirt. However, if she is close to moulting and you haven't watched her try to climb too much, I'd wager she'd be okay until after moulting. But to really pinpoint an exact time of when that moult might be isn't really an exact science. If you do keep her in there, I would try to drill some more air holes. However, the major thing that shows too much moisture is condensation of water on the walls and if that's not happening the airflow isn't obviously horrible. ;) How black is her rump? Is it pretty dark? That's one of the best indicators of an impending moult. If it's almost blackish then I'd say she'll moult in the next week or two, if it's not that dark yet it could be another month or so and moving her wouldn't be harmful to her. Honestly, even if she were to moult in the next seven days you could still move her tomorrow and not harm her moulting process. It's really only when they are actively moulting and the days to weeks directly afterwards where their fangs are hardening back up where you have to sort of watch them and not disturb them.
Wow thank you for your help , I can see a large black dot on her. See image and she literally does not move from the corner. No eating either she is deffo in premolt but I just don’t know.as you can see curled up in the corner not using hide and just idk hope pics help

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Wow thank you for your help , I can see a large black dot on her. See image and she literally does not move from the corner. No eating either she is deffo in premolt but I just don’t know.as you can see curled up in the corner not using hide and just idk hope pics help
That black 'stripe' down her back that you can see is actually her heart. ;) You can always see it on pretty bald tarantulas. It does look like there's some darkening at the top as well, but I'd say it's still several weeks away as it should get pretty obviously black in colour once a moult is days to hours away. Do you have something like a plastic candy bin to put her in whilst you add to the dirt? Or what did you get her home in? If you don't have anything, buy something when you're out in the near future eat whats inside and then use it to hold her when you work around her plastic bin. Also, try once you get more soil to bury the bark you have in there at like a 45˚ angle so she can crawl under it. :)

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
That black 'stripe' down her back that you can see is actually her heart. ;) You can always see it on pretty bald tarantulas. It does look like there's some darkening at the top as well, but I'd say it's still several weeks away as it should get pretty obviously black in colour once a moult is days to hours away. Do you have something like a plastic candy bin to put her in whilst you add to the dirt? Or what did you get her home in? If you don't have anything, buy something when you're out in the near future eat whats inside and then use it to hold her when you work around her plastic bin. Also, try once you get more soil to bury the bark you have in there at like a 45˚ angle so she can crawl under it. :)
Wow that’s amazing seriously thank you so much for your help I shall reghouse her now and sort it all out cheers.

Also do you think this would make her happier as she is not moving and hogging around 1 corner.

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Also do you think this would make her happier as she is not moving and hogging around 1 corner.
Yep I think it will, just remember you want the dirt only slightly damp to the touch not wet enough where water squeezes out. ;) :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi does this look like an ideal amount.
I would be very careful about the amount of water that bottom layer has. It may not be an issue, but I know my last stirmi enclosure had problems with mold. The water never effectively evaporated, and stayed stagnant in the bottom. It looks heavily wet, so I would just watch out for any growths/mold, or let it dry out a little before adding any extra water in :)

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
Hi I’ve added around 8” of sub now she’s under the hide chilling hoping she likes this more thanks for all the help.

Phoenix G

Arachnopeon
Here is a resource I found for you:
https://www.theraphosidae.be/en/theraphosa-stirmi/

This is a burrowing species for sure. You need a semi firm substrate. Your enclosure looks almost too moist in photos. That makes it hard to dig in and while rainforest T's do like moisture, in the beginning you might want to only mist half or a corner so your T has somewhere to go to get dry and can choose what it needs. Especially since this species has a wet season.

Be careful sterilizing- you can lead to mold growth. Potting soil is not recommended for beginners because of how difficult it can be to make absolutely certain there were never any additives or pesticides.

cold blood

Staff member
ooks almost too moist in photos. That makes it hard to dig in
Hard to dig? Umm, no.
, in the beginning you might want to only mist half or a corner so your
Theraphosa should have all thevsub damp...theyre one of the least tolerant of dry.

recommended for beginners because of how difficult it can be to make absolutely certain there were never any adfitives
I disagree...top soil is fine for beginners...locating the right top soil isnt all that difficult.

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
Hard to dig? Umm, no.
Theraphosa should have all thevsub damp...theyre one of the least tolerant of dry.

I disagree...top soil is fine for beginners...locating the right top soil isnt all that difficult.
Yes , I’ve added 8” of sub (top soil) it’s damp not wet , it’s definitely not swap like or mushy. It’s damp to touch. However the bottom layers do look really moist and wet. She’s decided to use the hide this time aswell. ALSO how long does T.strimi pre molt last for , she’s still not eating and there’s no darkening of the abdomen.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
T. blondi needs ventilation AND humidity. They also need a gradient between wet and dry, I dont know the months specifically but, talking to a friend that measures their humidity in situ in dry seasons, apparently there are some points it can go 22% (yes, I know that is too damn low to amazon forest), its just an extrem of low humidity, just saying to point out that, even in Amazonia, they have dry seasons. Dont keep it too much wet all the time, specially the substrate and try to control the humidity with ventilation. I think that is the most important thing. Another thing is, they tend to live in deep burrows, but not so large, since in captivity its impossible to dig a burrow with 70cm+, try to use a semi-burrowed hide.
I know situations in situ diverge from captivity, sometimes, a lot, but these infos can be helpful, I think.

cold blood

Staff member
CB isn't that oil heater heavy on electricity compared to heat mats? (Lets say 5 22w heat mats compared to one of these)
oil filled heaters are about as effecient as space heaters get, but yeah, it will cost more to run than a heat mat...but its waaaay safer for the ts in my t room....Mats might be fine if you have one or two ts and are careful with your usage, but completely impractical if you have several or a decently large collection.

If i had only a few, or when i had only a few i should say, i used a heat bath, utilizing an aquarium heater...super safe for the ts (no hot spots) and very cheap to run.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just looking at you tarantula makes my arms itch. I had a truly massive blondi years ago. Her teeth were the size of my pinky. Her cephalothorax, the head part, was the size of the palm of my hand. She never dug a borrow. She would use a piece of pvc pipe I put in their to hide in. Every time I opened her lid she would throw hairs all over the place. I once fed her with my shirt off......... you never get used to them.

You may want to think about getting some springtails or isopods. They eat whatever is left over from your spiders meals and keep everything clean.