Help ! T.stirmi worry

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
Hi so basically yesterday I got a T.stirmi , I placed it in a large plastic container big enough. Gave her a large water dish , a hide and substrate is pouting soil. I’ve damped the substrate to provide humidity along with the water dish. However she isn’t eating refused food twice. Also when I got her she kicked her abdomen bald she’s literally bold. And she is staying one spot rarely moving she stayed in the same place all night. I’m guessing pre molt but can someone else please help. Like I say she’s not moving ,only moves when provoked( I don’t prod or poke it) . So please can someone else help me thank you. I’m just really worried.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
If you only got her yesterday that's probably why she isn't doing much. Just like any pet, T's will not settle into a new home immediately, and will rarely eat for the first few days after introduction to a new enclosure. Just give her time and she should hopefully settle down a bit

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
If you only got her yesterday that's probably why she isn't doing much. Just like any pet, T's will not settle into a new home immediately, and will rarely eat for the first few days after introduction to a new enclosure. Just give her time and she should hopefully settle down a bit
Ahhh thank you I was just worried.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
You just got her yesterday? She needs some time to settle. It can take a few days up to a few weeks for a newly housed T to feel comfortable with their new surroundings. And tarantulas aren't ones to move much anyway, my three will usually stay in the same spot all day and not move a single leg. I'd say post photos of your set up regardless since this species can be a little picky on husbandry.

EDIT: Dang it, @RezonantVoid beat me to it!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
You just got her yesterday? She needs some time to settle. It can take a few days up to a few weeks for a newly housed T to feel comfortable with their new surroundings. And tarantulas aren't ones to move much anyway, my three will usually stay in the same spot all day and not move a single leg. I'd say post photos of your set up regardless since this species can be a little picky on husbandry.

EDIT: Dang it, @RezonantVoid beat me to it!
Fastest hand in the southern hemisphere ;)

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
Hi , also I forgot to add it’s kinda not moving and staying over to the right side of her enclosure. Anyhow what’s the ideal enclosure setup for a T.strimi.

cold blood

Staff member
However she isn’t eating refused food twice
As I mentioned in your last thread, the t is pre-molt and probably wont eat till after its next molt....so again, I will tell you...not to worry about it not eating.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
As I mentioned in your last thread, the t is pre-molt and probably wont eat till after its next molt....so again, I will tell you...not to worry about it not eating.
I have merged the two threads about this tarantula. Carry on.

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
Potting soil can have harmful insecticidal chemicals in it. If it were my spider, I would change the potting soil for plain old top soil that doesn't have any additives in it.
Hi yes , it was sterilised my me.

Is the setup sounding right as I’ve described.

like it’s been around 4 days now and she’s just hogging around the right side of enclosure not moving

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Hi yes , it was sterilized my me.
How do you sterilize potting soil? Does that really remove pesticides and fertilizer commonly found in potting soil?

(Not being snarky. I'm just new and curious.)

You will have to post a picture. Vague adjectives such as "large" and "big enough" only mean something to the person writing it. The reader may picture something entirely different than the writer intended.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Hi , also I forgot to add it’s kinda not moving and staying over to the right side of her enclosure. Anyhow what’s the ideal enclosure setup for a T.strimi.
No offense, but....shouldn’t you have done the research FIRST?

Listen to the experienced folks and read only threads :)

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
No offense, but....shouldn’t you have done the research FIRST?

Listen to the experienced folks and read only threads :)
I have done research but if you didn’t know care sheets are a load of rubbish so I thought I would just check with experts on here to make sure I’m doing it right...

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I have done research but if you didn’t know care sheets are a load of rubbish so I thought I would just check with experts on here to make sure I’m doing it right...
Does the tarantula have a good 8-12" of dirt to dig in? I can't tell how much is in there from your recent pictures. LOTS of substrate is key because your birdeater is heavy bodied and can really hurt itself if it were to slip on the side and fall, so the more dirt the better here. ;)

Phoenix G

Arachnopeon
On a positive, if you had an arboreal tarantula then your tank is half done already. :D

I too completely messed up the housing for my tarantula the first few days and had to do an emergency enclosure change to get it to calm down and feel at home. Just do your research- you already know you can't have so much space between the substrate and ceiling. Make an artificial ceiling. You definitely need more substrate either way. I did the same thing- it's a wonder my tarantula didn't die with the falling. I guess I got lucky.

And maybe you jumped a bit too quick to move up the ladder to an experienced keeper's T, but at least it's something you love and are striving to be the best tarantula parent you can be for. Just make all the changes quickly and keep watching as many videos as possible. You can find a lot of tricks by watching the species in the wild behave. I learned my consistently labeled burrowing species that I set up a foot of substrate for..doesn't actually burrow. It takes the already made burrows of plains toads and snakes. It settled down after I made it a burrow.

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
Does the tarantula have a good 8-12" of dirt to dig in? I can't tell how much is in there from your recent pictures. LOTS of substrate is key because your birdeater is heavy bodied and can really hurt itself if it were to slip on the side and fall, so the more dirt the better here. ;)
Hi yes thank you I really want to rehouse it and add more dirt but I think she is in pre molt and moving her out and about especially a rehouse will do no good , what do you reckon I have 4” of sub right now do I take her out and rehouse with more dirt etc etc or do I let her molt then do It