Help ! T.stirmi worry

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
Hi , I just picked up a T.blondi it’s really big and cool , anyway just wondering I have knowledge on their care such as high humidity and big tank feed often etc etc, but I was wondering on specific details. It’s in a large container with potting soil as the substrate. I wet and mist the enclosure a lot to provide a high humidity, also I have a small heat Matt on the side of the enclose to provide a temperature gradient. I don’t use heat Matts with my others but the fella in the pet shop told me I would be ideal over room temp. Any help would be ideal , it’s mainly just how humid and is the heat Matt needed. Thank you

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I personally don't mist, just keep the substrate damp and always have a water bowl available. I keep my T room at about 74-78F, and they do just fine at that temp.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Never put a heat mat directly against a tarantula enclosure. In the summer it's beyond unnecessary and is a good way to kill a spider. As for humidity you do not need to mist the enclosure at all ever. Just pour a cup or two of water down the side of the substrate so that the bottom layers get more saturated than the top. You'll need about 8-10 inches of nice moist substrate for this species. Keep an eye on how dry it gets and repeat with the water cup down the side like once every ten days or so depending on how dry your house is. But really, don't listen to pet store owners about inverts ever. They say they know stuff, but they lie. Better to use that heat mat with a reptile, or even throw it away if you don't have anything that it can be used for. And don't think about 'ambient humidity' when it comes to tarantulas. It's all about how moist they like the substrate. As I said, and I just want to reiterate do not mist your tarantula. Also, it's more likely that your specimen is actually T. stirmi and not T. blondi as they are much easier to come by and are constantly mislabeled to get them to sell to people like you.

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi yes , I don’t mist I use a bottle with holes in the top to squirt all over the substrate to keep it nice and damp and moist. Anyway just to make sure I’ll drop some pics.

As you can see fairly big, I have a large water dish, along with the damp substrate , I gave her a raised hide kinda dug into the substrate. Also you can see the heat Matt on the left of the enclosure and she seems to be staying on the right , however I just got it today and she may just be settling in Thanks

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
Never put a heat mat directly against a tarantula enclosure. In the summer it's beyond unnecessary and is a good way to kill a spider. As for humidity you do not need to mist the enclosure at all ever. Just pour a cup or two of water down the side of the substrate so that the bottom layers get more saturated than the top. You'll need about 8-10 inches of nice moist substrate for this species. Keep an eye on how dry it gets and repeat with the water cup down the side like once every ten days or so depending on how dry your house is. But really, don't listen to pet store owners about inverts ever. They say they know stuff, but they lie. Better to use that heat mat with a reptile, or even throw it away if you don't have anything that it can be used for. And don't think about 'ambient humidity' when it comes to tarantulas. It's all about how moist they like the substrate. As I said, and I just want to reiterate do not mist your tarantula. Also, it's more likely that your specimen is actually T. stirmi and not T. blondi as they are much easier to come by and are constantly mislabeled to get them to sell to people like you.
Hi thank you , I’m sure it’s a blondi , and I don’t mist , how comes I can’t mist either, I use a bottle with holes and squirt it all over the substrate usually more one side. It should be fine and should I remove the heat Matt , it gets quite cold in my room at night.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Unless you want to risk cooking your tarantula: Take. The. Heat. Mat. Off. I don't know how else to say it. That enclosure looks suspiciously too deep the way it's set up right now. For a Theraphosa they should probably have close to just one span of their length between the top of the substrate and the lid, maybe a little more. How deep is this substrate? It literally needs to be like a bare minimum of eight inches for a spider as big as this one.

cold blood

Staff member
I have knowledge on their care such as high humidity
Damp substrate is what they need...do not focus on humidity...just keep the sub damp...not wet...and when it dries, add water. Make sure the deepest parts of the sub never dry out.
I wet and mist the enclosure a lot to provide a high humidity
Don't...just focus on moisture in the sub...not wet, just damp.
I have a small heat Matt on the side of the enclose to provide a temperature gradient. I don’t use heat Matts with my others but the fella in the pet shop told me I would be ideal over room temp
The pet store makes more $ when you buy more useless things...like hygrometers and heat mats....and inappropriate enclosures...yours appears to be way too tall...a huge fall risk, especially for a large heavy bodied t.

And your t is in pre-molt, so its especially vulnerable.....it also may not eat till after its next molt, so don't worry if it doesn't eat.
I’m sure it’s a blondi
Yeah.....its not. You have a Theraphosa stirmi......same common name of goliath....and same size, appetite and care as blondi as well.

Jake Gilbert

Arachnopeon
Unless you want to risk cooking your tarantula: Take. The. Heat. Mat. Off. I don't know how else to say it. That enclosure looks suspiciously too deep the way it's set up right now. For a Theraphosa they should probably have close to just one span of their length between the top of the substrate and the lid, maybe a little more. How deep is this substrate? It literally needs to be like a bare minimum of eight inches for a spider as big as this one.
image.jpg I understand , apologies if I’m doing things wrong this is my first “advanced” T. I completely ran out of substrate today and the shops are closed I will go and grab some tomorrow.

Damp substrate is what they need...do not focus on humidity...just keep the sub damp...not wet...and when it dries, add water. Make sure the deepest parts of the sub never dry out.

Don't...just focus on moisture in the sub...not wet, just damp.

The pet store makes more $ when you buy more useless things...like hygrometers and heat mats....and inappropriate enclosures...yours appears to be way too tall...a huge fall risk, especially for a large heavy bodied t.

And your t is in pre-molt, so its especially vulnerable.....it also may not eat till after its next molt, so don't worry if it doesn't eat.

Yeah.....its not. You have a Theraphosa stirmi......same common name of goliath....and same size, appetite and care as blondi as well.
Okay thank you, as I say this is my first abit more maintenance T . The tub is 12” tall , and I know I don’t have enough substrate I ran out and the stores are closed I’ll grab some tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
These are beautiful Ts but yes are higher maintenance but that does not mean you start using thermometers and hydrometers trying to chase perfect conditions you will surely kill the T doing this. Keep the sub damp not soaking wet and give plenty of ventilation

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Have fun....don't get haired,and don't put your fingers or any other body part any where
near him or her:hurting:.I guess that goes for any of our T,s.
Oh and BTW,they are not Brachy/Grammastola slow.They can,and will move out when pissed off,
big brown,does not mean big brown and slow.
The pic is the last three months worth of growth.

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Yeah, why does it look like there is lettuce in the cage??? Totally didn’t notice it the first time I looked at the photos. You should only feed feeders before they go in the tarantula cage, with a T like this, they won’t live long enough to eat it. Luring out an unbeaten feeder with a piece of carrot is one thing, this makes it look as if you are trying to give your tarantula a salad.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Theraphosa's will dig when giving the sub, I would provide a lot more with a deep hide otherwise you run the risk of this thing bolting everywhere