Getting My First Tarantula

Shinra

Arachnopeon
Okay so, I got a bonus at work and want to get more tarantulas. I know for sure I'm getting C. cyaneopubescens and I'm think Caribena versicolor as well. At some point I'd like to get a Gooty sapphire ornamental(can't remember scientific name lol), but I think that may be a bit beyond my care level at this point. Opinions?
P. metallica is the gooty sapphire ornamental, emphasis on mental. Not overly defensive per se but very fast. Also being a pokie they have strong venom relative to other Ts (it’s an OW). Beautiful yes but will likely punish any mistakes by the keeper.
That being said, if you’re prepared then go for it but just be wary that a fast terrestrial and a fast arboreal are a completely different type of game IMO.

Edit: c cyaneopubescens is one of my favourites. Skittish but beautiful. Also the versicolor is awesome. Get them both as slings if you can (or young juvs). An additional nice thing about these is their colour change as they mature : )

Last edited:

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
P. metallica is the gooty sapphire ornamental, emphasis on mental. Not overly defensive per se but very fast. Also being a pokie they have strong venom relative to other Ts (it’s an OW). Beautiful yes but will likely punish any mistakes by the keeper.
That being said, if you’re prepared then go for it but just be wary that a fast terrestrial and a fast arboreal are a completely different type of game IMO.

Edit: c cyaneopubescens is one of my favourites. Skittish but beautiful. Also the versicolor is awesome. Get them both as slings if you can (or young juvs). An additional nice thing about these is their colour change as they mature : )
My worry with the venom is that I have an immune disorder so my body won't try to fight it. I have an EpiPen for my current Ts just in case, but idk if an EpiPen would do anything with OWs. If I wanted to get a terrestrial, and didn't want to start with a super quick one, what would you recommend? And, yeah. I want to get all of my Ts as slings. There's something special about watching an animal change and grow imo.

Shinra

Arachnopeon
My worry with the venom is that I have an immune disorder so my body won't try to fight it. I have an EpiPen for my current Ts just in case, but idk if an EpiPen would do anything with OWs. If I wanted to get a terrestrial, and didn't want to start with a super quick one, what would you recommend? And, yeah. I want to get all of my Ts as slings. There's something special about watching an animal change and grow imo.
keeping an epipen is useful if you find yourself reacting badly to these things. For allergy though unless it’s a type of reaction where your body is reacting to something similar in chemical composition, you would have to be exposed to it to develop the allergy i.e. you wouldn’t react the first time but you would the second (I’m an immunologist so I can expand if required - one of my annoyances with people talking about allergy to the venom).

Most terrestrials are chilled in comparison to arboreals. There are so many that I love but to pick a few: (other than c cyaneopubescens)

E. Campestratus (pet rocks but super docile)

Any brachypelma (emilia is my fav but if you want a brachypelma that looks really different to your hamorii then albopilosum)

G. Pulchra (literally guinea pigs in nature)

G. Porteri or G. rosea (classic but my porteri is a moody so and so)

A. Chalcodes (biggest of the aphonopelma at 6” or so but beautiful and docile)

A bit faster but also great:

N incei (gold version available but I like the ‘normals’ more)

B cabocla (cool looking T that almost looks like a true spider with their thin legs)

P sazimai (blue T, can be faster but very nice)

H sp. “Colombia” (people consider these dwarf but I’m not sure as one morph gets bigger)

Speaking of dwarfs though:

H species chilensis (formerly E. Sp red)

D. Diamantinensis (mini c cyaneopubescens)

C. elegans (these guys have a HEART on their ass)

Last edited:

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
Okay so, I got a bonus at work and want to get more tarantulas. I know for sure I'm getting C. cyaneopubescens...
I personally love Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. I think this is the easier one to keep between the 3 you mentioned in the most recent post you made. They generally eat well. They grow pretty fast. They're very colorful as slings, and their color changes are interesting. They do not need their substrate to be moistened at all times because they are desert dwelling tarantulas. If you don't put a water dish in the enclosure, you can just spray down the inside walls of the enclosure once a week to give them water (one spritz is enough). I personally keep mine with fine sand as substrate because if you saw a documentary of their natural habitat you will see that the kind of environment they live in is very dry and sandy with lots of desert scrub.

...and I'm think Caribena versicolor as well.
Caribena versicolor, as you may know is a tarantula that was formerly classified in the genus Avicularia. Avics, in my opinion and experience, are pretty calm tarantulas. They also tend to be very visible the majority of the times, (I'm assuming that this is one of the reasons why they are pretty popular). I find that in some cases, Avic slings can get intimidated by prey that are a bit too big. With the slings of other tarantula species, prey items that are as large as their abdomen can be offered and they will gladly pounce on them. With Avics I've found that as slings if the prey item is larger than the width of their carapace, they might get intimidated by it. They don't need to be misted down a lot, which is great. However, they need lots of air ventilation. If you saw the habitats they come from, you will see how windy those places are. For slings, a 32 oz deli cup with holes punched around the circumference of the bottom 3rd, the middle half, and the top 3rd works. I'd also add 2 columns of holes on 1 side of the deli and duplicate a 2nd set of 2 columns of holes across from the 1st set. I also recommend top ventilation so that the air from the cross ventilation can leave from the top. You can spray the inside wall of the enclosure once a week so that they get some water. The substrate can be moist but not soggy. Don't worry if the substrate dries out completely. There are cork rounds small enough to fit into a 32 oz deli cup. If they are too big, cut it in half longitudinally and put both pieces in to create the effect of the grooves along the side of the tree trunks they like to hide in.

To punch the holes, you can use a mini hand drill like this: http://www.nixsun.com/photo/photo2/20160216/20160216161519263.jpg

Here's a video of Caribena versicolor in the wild:

At some point I'd like to get a Gooty sapphire ornamental(can't remember scientific name lol), but I think that may be a bit beyond my care level at this point. Opinions?
Poecilotheria metallica is an Old World tarantula. It does possess some medically significant venom. If someone gets bitten by their pet Poecilotheria metallica it will not be a pleasant experience that goes unnoticed. They can bolt pretty quickly if they are startled. The key words are if they are startled. I've found that if they are not startled, they are not going to do things that would freak out a person who is going to be surprised by how fast tarantulas can move. What this means is, you have to make your movements around their enclosures slow and steady. Get into the practice of not startling your T's too much to the point where they start running around their enclosures to find their safe space. Do not leave the enclosure open unsupervised. Have a catch cup near you when you do something within the enclosure just in case. Most of all do not freak out if they bolt! Stay calm. If you have a catch cup near you, it is still possible to catch a Pokie when they run. At the moment, I've never had a Pokie bolt on me, but I've had a Phlogiellus sp. Palawan (it's an Old World tarantula from the Philippines) run out on me. I stayed calm, and slowly approached the tarantula with a catch cup. I eventually caught it quite easily. So, if you are able to stay calm and not freak out when a tarantula runs out of its enclosure, you're ok should a Pokie run out on you. It also helps to work on a flat surface with nothing within 2' - 3' of you just in case.

I personally think you might be ok with Pokies as your first Old World. Just be calm, cool, and collected as much as possible, and you're good.

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
My worry with the venom is that I have an immune disorder so my body won't try to fight it. I have an EpiPen for my current Ts just in case, but idk if an EpiPen would do anything with OWs.
I'm in the medical field. EpiPens are only for allergic reactions. In the case of envenomations, that is a different treatment regimen altogether. If there is no antivenin for the envenomation (as is the case with spider bites), the only thing we'd be treating you for are your symptoms. If part of the symptoms you encounter is a closing of your airway, then, yes, an EpiPen would come in handy. Localized swelling in other parts of your body may be affected by an EpiPen injection, but it may not be necessary. Pain is just treated with pain medication.

If I wanted to get a terrestrial, and didn't want to start with a super quick one, what would you recommend? And, yeah. I want to get all of my Ts as slings. There's something special about watching an animal change and grow imo.
A terrestrial Old World tarantula is just as quick if not quicker than Pokies, in my opinion. The Phlogiellus sp. Palawan is a "pet hole", (a fossorial), from the Philippines. This thing is pretty quick in short bursts.

Psednocnemis brachyramosa is another Old World "pet hole", (a fossorial), that is freaking crazy when it gets freaked out. I've never had this one get loose, but I'd hate for this one to do so. I'm extra careful about this particular one. After I had put this tarantula in the enclosure, it decided to flip out. I was surprised by how fast this thing was! I was glad that it didn't go nuts when I was placing it into its enclosure.

I recommend just opening the container that the Old World tarantula was shipped in and letting it crawl out on its own. Do not unroll the paper towel that it is housed with.

I've found the calmest Old World pet hole is Orphnaecus spp. But they are pet holes, and I don't see them out much. Mine are Orphnaecus sp. Panay Blue. I see my Phlogiellus sp. Palawan and my Psednocnemis brachyramosa out far more.

If you like blue tarantulas that are arboreal, maybe try the New World semi-arboreal Thrixopelma sp. Blue/Homoeomma sp. Blue/Thrixopelma lagunas. These are nicely colored, and they are super calm. They are red and blue, like Spiderman.

If you want calm Old World arboreal tarantulas, then maybe look into Phormingochilus spp. I love my Phormingochilus sp. rufus. They are nice and calm. I see them all the time. These are semi-arboreal.

Last edited:

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
You know what...now that I think of it...Ornithoctonus spp. aren't as prone to bolt like Pokies do if they are startled. Ornithoctonus spp. are Old World terrestrials/fossorials. They are out often. These are usually pretty colorful and nicely patterned. They're called Earth Tigers (and for good reason). Try looking into these.

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
Ik for sure I'm getting the GBB. I've wanted one since before I got my other three, but didn't want to start with it. And I've had very good luck so far with not spooking my Ts. I've gotten backlash for saying this before, but I think having practice on the whole slow and steady thing with my other exotics helps, I don't even flinch when my snakes strike at me anymore. I think I could do a pokie without any problems, especially since I do all of my stuff on the floor in an empty room with nowhere for them to go lol.

I meant arboreal not terrestrial haha. All of my current Ts are terrestrial and I'd like to try an arboreal, but am a tad nervous about getting an OW already. Are there any NW arboreals that I could start with?

As for the EpiPen, I'm aware that it doesn't actually treat the bite. I've never actually been bitten, but I have a terrible venom sensitivity to just about EVERYTHING else so my Dr gave me one to use for the Ts just to help long enough to get me to the hospital should I need to go. Maybe I'm not explaining it or understanding it properly, but having it make me a lot less nervous about getting bit.

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
Ik for sure I'm getting the GBB. I've wanted one since before I got my other three, but didn't want to start with it.
I love mine. I've got 3. Love how they're good eaters and low maintenance. Give them a try. If you end up not liking them, you can always sell them or give them away to someone else.

And I've had very good luck so far with not spooking my Ts. I've gotten backlash for saying this before, but I think having practice on the whole slow and steady thing with my other exotics helps, I don't even flinch when my snakes strike at me anymore.
That's how I learned. Quick and feisty rear fanged venomous snakes like Keelbacks teach a great deal about caution and preparedness.

I think I could do a pokie without any problems, especially since I do all of my stuff on the floor in an empty room with nowhere for them to go lol.
Poecilotheria metallica is quite a stunner. From the one that I currently have, it appears to be the calmest species out of all the Pokies I have. It hides often, but it does occasionally camp out on the top of its cork round and sits there even when I approach it. As long as I don't make sudden moves, it'll stay there.

I meant arboreal not terrestrial haha. All of my current Ts are terrestrial and I'd like to try an arboreal, but am a tad nervous about getting an OW already. Are there any NW arboreals that I could start with?
As was mentioned prior, if you like blue tarantulas that are arboreal, maybe try the New World semi-arboreal Thrixopelma sp. Blue/Homoeomma sp. Blue Peru/Thrixopelma lagunas. These are nicely colored, and they are super calm. They are red and blue, like Spiderman.

If you're looking for calm Old World arboreal tarantulas, then maybe look into Phormingochilus spp. I love my Phormingochilus sp. rufus (Peach Earth Tiger). They are nice and calm. I see them all the time. These are semi-arboreal.

Last edited:

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight

Great, C. Cyaneopubescens is my Favorite Tarantula, I mean I love them all but this one fits me perfectly. They are Easy to keep ( in the since of keeping them on dry substrate and having a water dish ) give them adequate space, Anchor points and they web everything literally. I have 4 of them. I have a monster 7 1/4” Sub Adult Female, a 3.75 - 4” Unsexed, and 2 smaller 2.5” unsexed Slings. The attitudes between all four is different. My big girl is chill, relaxed and never once kicked hairs at me. I’ve been keeping her for a long time so maybe just maybe (definitely not)
She’s used to me getting the bolas, and watering etc.
My unsexed Juvie is in between relaxed and skittish, and goes absolutely nuts in a good way during feeding. She’ll do front flips attacking the feeder somersaults etc. once she was stalking from the top side of glass, and pounced on the unsuspecting Dubia below, was a sight to see. She has been that way since she was the size of my thumbnail. Whenever I open her door is when she gets skittish but not all the time.
My two smaller slings are complete Pigs.

I’m picking up a 4” female P.Metallica with her home in a couple days, I so can’t wait, I’ve been wanting this girl for sooo long now. She was/is just so expensive. She will be a great addition to my OW’s.
I have 10 OW’s but this will be my first Pokie. Apologize in advance for the wall of text...
AE0F4B09-B28A-4675-9FA2-ED5350271766.jpeg

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
No need to apologize! I love hearing about other people's Ts. That's why I'm here after all. The two slings that I have don't do a whole lot, and the one adult I do have, is super shy and I don't see him/her a lot so having a T that does things is super exciting for me.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
No need to apologize! I love hearing about other people's Ts. That's why I'm here after all. The two slings that I have don't do a whole lot, and the one adult I do have, is super shy and I don't see him/her a lot so having a T that does things is super exciting for me.
all my C. Cyaneopubescens are both hide and seekers and out in the open. When my big girl and my unsexed juvie are out they’re usually hungry. Was my first T, followed by three more of them lol. I want 7 more maybe even more to study and document their behaviors, the differences and similarities between them all.. maybe one day...

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
I think that's my favorite thing about Ts. The huge differences, not just in the different species, but from spider to spider as well. It's also probably the thing I argue about the most when "spider haters" start talking down about them being boring and all being the same.

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
My A. seemani however is a character. He does this super frustrating thing where if I let his water dish dry out he covers it in webs and attacks the tongs when I try to move the webs to fill the dish... He's a goofball, so we named him Ziggy.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
My A. seemani however is a character. He does this super frustrating thing where if I let his water dish dry out he covers it in webs and attacks the tongs when I try to move the webs to fill the dish... He's a goofball, so we named him Ziggy.
That’s funny because my H.Pulchripes, H.Minax does that too..

Shinra

Arachnopeon
My seemanni, even when not sealed off in premolt, is the shyest T I have I think (he’s called ‘Shy Ronnie’).

GBBs are great and will absolutely web everything. As mentioned already they’re not too keen on moist substrate so will avoid that. Either way though they’ll put down a blanket of web and then web just about everything else too. They are terrestrials but seem to like sitting above the ground on their web - so provide ample anchor points and it’ll be a happy spider.
I now only have a juv left after loaning out a male (who didn’t make it back) but it displays pretty much the same characteristics. See photo: rehoused earlier this week and already making herself at home.

Attachments

Shinra

Arachnopeon
...and my worst T for housekeeping is my pulchra. Made a nice enclosure for her and she proceeds to gather up all the leaf litter and some extra twigs and dump them in the water dish. Hooligan.

But if that’s how she wants it then fair enough

Attachments