Getting My First Tarantula

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I know B. hamorii is NW, but what about N. chromatus? Those are the two I chose to start with. I wanted to get a Aphonopelma chalcodes(I think that's right), but I could find any for a size or price I was comfortable with for a starter.
All 3 you mentioned are new world. All you have to do is some research to see where there from if there from anywhere in North or south America or the Caribbean its a new world all others are old world.

Lol I wish I could edit post but you are absolutely right I shouldn’t have said they are all small and like you said a true spider (Heteropoda maxima) is actually the biggest of them all which I had no idea thanks for the information!
I only know because of my lasiodora parahybana in certain videos it would call it the 3rd largest tarantula then other videos it would be the 4th largest spider so it got me curious lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
N. chromatus is a NW species as well, but - from what I heard - a bit more skittish than B. hamorii and prone to kicking hairs. I think N. chromatus may be manageable for a beginner, but personally I wouldn't recommend them as a first.

What about B. albopilosum? They're a great beginner species, medium growth rate, great eaters (at least mine are ;)), landscape artists and just so fluffy. :)

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
My 1st tarantula was a grammostola pulchripes there pretty hard and a decent eater so I always recommend that

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi everyone. My name is Jessica. I've been wanting a tarantula for awhile now. I just got done ordering my first two. I got a 1" Brachypelma hamorii and a 1/4" Nhandu chromatus. I got them both from Fear Not Tarantulas, which I've heard a lot of good things about. I'm a little nervous about having such small Ts though. I'm working on setting up habitats now, but I'm not terribly sure how big of a habitat I should use. Would one of those 16oz deli cups work for both of them or should I go a little bigger. I've never seen a sling in person so I'm having difficulty gauging the proper size. I know they're both terrestrial so I don't need anything super tall. Anyone have tips?
Hello Jessica! How nice! Like the answer you already got! Use pretty small enclosure and increase size when the tarantulas moult! For slings i use enclosures that ate around 5 cm in diameter and maybe 10 cm tall with 5 or so cm of moist substrate and usally i ad something for them to hide under like a leaf or something else! Good luck!

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
N. chromatus is a NW species as well, but - from what I heard - a bit more skittish than B. hamorii and prone to kicking hairs. I think N. chromatus may be manageable for a beginner, but personally I wouldn't recommend them as a first.

What about B. albopilosum? They're a great beginner species, medium growth rate, great eaters (at least mine are ;)), landscape artists and just so fluffy. :)
I love curly hairs, but it wasn't a choice where I ordered. What actually happened was I went to order the B. hamorii from Fear Not Tarantulas and I got pick a freebie. There weren't that many choices so I picked the one that was the most manageable. I'm hoping that my background with exotics in general will help me a little bit. I'm fairly used to skittish, difficult to handle animals. My Tokay gecko is a little monster.

My only other question... How bad is a T bite? I've been bitten by some of the weirdest creatures, but I'm a bit terrified of getting bitten by a tarantula. I know the venom isn't that bad, and I picture it kind of being similar to a snake bite which I know I can handle. I've had an encounter with hairs being thrown once and it sucked, but it wasn't terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
If you don't handle your Ts (which you shouldn't anyway), do the maintenance with tongs (meaning: Keep your hands out of the enclosure) and treat your Ts with respect, I don't see how you would ever get bitten. :)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My only other question... How bad is a T bite? I've been bitten by some of the weirdest creatures, but I'm a bit terrified of getting bitten by a tarantula. I know the venom isn't that bad, and I picture it kind of being similar to a snake bite which I know I can handle. I've had an encounter with hairs being thrown once and it sucked, but it wasn't terrible.
It depends on the species and size. The commonly recommended beginner species (from the New World) have mild venom. While people may react differently, the reaction to the venom itself probably wouldn't be worse than a bee sting. However, a large tarantula with large fangs could inflict a painful mechanical injury even with no venom.

Fortunately, bites are easy to avoid:
  • Don't handle the tarantula. (Tarantulas don't benefit from being handled anyway.)
  • Don't stick your hands in the enclosure. (Most beginner species aren't particularly defensive, but they may mistake your finger for food.)
  • Do all of your maintenance with long tongs.

cold blood

Staff member
y. I hate using care sheets off the internet. I have sphagnum moss and coconut fiber
Any acceptable sub can be used for any t at any size....substrate is a personal choice for the keeper. Coco fiber is the hobby standard, top soil isnt far behind. Peat moss is also an option.

And your instincts are good...never read care sheets...theyre garbage...the kind of garbage that makes other garbage look good. Keeping ts is way simpler than care sheets would lead you to believe and require none of the specifics they focus on.

et. I have sphagnum moss and coconut fiber for already, but maybe I should get an organic soil instead? I know
Never buy topsoil labeled "organic"....all soil is inherently organic...when you see the organic label, its in reference to additives for plants, this often means manure or compost.

If you buy top soil, you want the cheap stuff marketed for filling holes and leveling ground.

e some bark that I snapped off a tree and baked for hides. I
THROW THAT AWAY!!!

Wood can be collected, but you really need old wood, too fresh and its a beacon for mold. I collect driftwood from lakeshores, beaches can be gold mines.

for food, I have a huge dubia colony, but I think the nymphs might still be to big for them. I can
Simply dice them to appropriate sizes.

For slings, i prefer to dice mealworms...theyre cheap, last forever in the fridge, are readily accepted and offer a nice big fatty meal....just cut them into 1/3 or 1/4ths.

This is a second instar N. chromatus eating its very first meal.

d what about water dishes for slings? Are they not really necessary as long as I keep them damp?
Its a good safety net...if the enclosure has room, add one....now small sling enclosures like i prefer do not have the room, i just keep part of the sub damp, when it dries, just add water....very simple and effective.

So I these. 5.5 ounce deli cups. I'm going to poke holes with a hot needle. Sound good?
Smaller and shallower.

The idea is that a small enclosure will cause the sling to adopt the whole cup as its burrow...this makes them more visible as well as more aggressive eaters...house them in too large or deep enclosures and they are compelled to burrow and hide...making them hard to monitor, and slowing growth. I dont offer a hide either as it defeats the purpose of the small set up.

Over an inch, go to the 16oz deli cup...now theres room for a hide and dish...this is good till about 3".

I know B. hamorii is NW, but what about N. chromatus? Those are the two I chose to start with. I wanted to get a Aphonopelma chalcodes(I think that's right), but I could find any for a size or price I was comfortable with for a starter.
chromatus is a great sling to raise...fantastic eaters, even when tiny, and fast growth, which is nice when starting out. Chalcodes are great, but even slings grow painfully slow....i have slings molting about every 5 or 6 months, by contrast, a chromatus sling will molt every 28-45 days....way more fun to raise.

IMO it was a good choice.

nly other question... How bad is a T bite? I've been bitten by some of the weirdest creatures, but I'm a bit terrified of getting bitten by a tarantula. I
One should never expect to get bit...most non handling keepers never get bit. Use tongs/tweexers for feeding and maintenance and catch cups for transfers...its easy to be smarter than the t and easily avoid bites. In 20yrs, ive never really even had a close call.

Hedge Witch

Arachnopeon
Wow... Those are really small. I'm sure I can find something that small at Walmart right? I want to quickly go over the stuff I need if that's okay. I hate using care sheets off the internet. I have sphagnum moss and coconut fiber for already, but maybe I should get an organic soil instead? I know coconut fiber molds easily and I don't want to wreck their webs to change the substrate. I have some bark that I snapped off a tree and baked for hides. I need to pick up a bottle, I'm thinking a squeeze bottle because I heard the spray ones can spook slings. As for food, I have a huge dubia colony, but I think the nymphs might still be to big for them. I can do pinheads, but I loathe crickets. So I was thinking maybe some kind of maggot. Phoenix worms or wax worms maybe? They're really soft and not likely to hurt the slings at all. If that's to big for the N. chromatus I can do flightless fruit flies. And what about water dishes for slings? Are they not really necessary as long as I keep them damp? I heard someone say to cut a golf tee and press it into the dirt, but that kind of seems silly. It wouldn't hold much. Sorry for all the questions, I like to load up on all the information possible when I get a new animal. Drives my boyfriend nuts lol.
Ditch the regular tree bark. cork bark wont rot or mould when it gets wet again

Brad Smith

Arachnopeon
I actually use small kritter keepers.....many think its oversized for a sling that size...but I dont notice any difference in behavior whether they're in the deli cup or kritter keepers

In fact I find them to be a little less skittish and more active with the extra space......they will pick a spot and make it their own.
And then at night I use my red lights and watch the roam the enclosure hunting.....I then introduce several lesser meal beetles.....more suspense than the super bowl watching them hunt and a damn good time in deed.

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
I actually use small kritter keepers.....many think its oversized for a sling that size...but I dont notice any difference in behavior whether they're in the deli cup or kritter keepers

In fact I find them to be a little less skittish and more active with the extra space......they will pick a spot and make it their own.
And then at night I use my red lights and watch the roam the enclosure hunting.....I then introduce several lesser meal beetles.....more suspense than the super bowl watching them hunt and a damn good time in deed.
A small sling can easily get out of a kk they usually have lots of long vent lines on the lid

Brad Smith

Arachnopeon
I've never had a problem with slings half and inch or bigger.....I dont usually buy any slings smaller than that though....I can definitely see how a very tiny sling could escape but a 1 inch sling....no way

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
I just went and picked up my tarantulas from Fear Not Tarantulas today! I'll post some pictures once they settle in. I was just wondering how long I should wait before trying to feed them? I got some teeny tiny red runners to feed them.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I just went and picked up my tarantulas from Fear Not Tarantulas today! I'll post some pictures once they settle in. I was just wondering how long I should wait before trying to feed them? I got some teeny tiny red runners to feed them.
You can go ahead and try and feed them if they don't take it try again in a couple of days

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Okay, thank you. I know with reptiles I usually wait a day or two.
I let larger ones settle for a day but I usually just feed my slings on the same day I house it I use mealworm with the head crushed then leave it 24 hours and take out what's left

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
What I ended up doing was giving them both a red runner with their head crushed. I'll check in the am to see if its been moved. If not should I just take it out?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
What I ended up doing was giving them both a red runner with their head crushed. I'll check in the am to see if its been moved. If not should I just take it out?
Yeah if they haven't touched it just take it out again and try in a couple of days