Getting My First Tarantula

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
Well they didn't eat, but they both were out of their hidey holes when I checked this morning. The first one is the B. hamorii the second one is the N. chromatus.
IMG_20190226_104329.jpg MVIMG_20190227_053313.jpg

I feel dumb for having to ask this, but can a sling get stuck in the burrow? Like if it's a little to tight for him to turn around. My B. hamorii is in the very bottom of the tunnel with his back end facing up. He was out this morning when I got up, but he looks really scrunched in there now and I'm worried he might be stuck. I guess my question is; they're really good diggers aren't they? Digging burrows is kind of what they do right?

I apologize for my excessive worrying. It's what I do when I get a new animal. I'm going to have terrible nightmares for at least a week before I calm down... hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
but can a sling get stuck in the burrow?
No worries, they know what they're doing. They just don't move a lot making you think that its stuck. Maybe its preparing to molt, it kinda plump on above photo and slings really love to dig for them to feel safe.

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
Thank you. I was pretty sure I was just being silly, but I really don't know what I'm looking for yet, honestly. I thought he looked kinda full, but I'm in unfamiliar territory here.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
That's okay, enjoy your new Ts and just post here if you need some answers. Tarantulas do tarantula things that are sometimes hard to understand why they do that. Like my B. hamorii digging her hide then covering it after a week without using it even once. :rofl:

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
It's the eating that's bugging me. I'm used to hungry little monsters as pets. They haven't eaten in the days, and ik that's normal, but it's still never wracking.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When they are that small they can be picky. Wait a moult or 2!

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
They tend to fast before a molt, sometimes for days or even months the larger they get. Your Nhandu chromatus will be an eating machine after few molts.

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
Look what my B. hamorii did! Kind of looks like there's something in the web. Could it be a molt, or part of his dinner. He's only eaten this one time so I'm not sure. IMG_20190313_160604.jpg

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Look what my B. hamorii did! Kind of looks like there's something in the web. Could it be a molt, or part of his dinner. He's only eaten this one time so I'm not sure. View attachment 302578
That looks like mold to me, and it is probably harmless. One problem though is how big that enclosure is. It is just massive. The tarantula does not need all that space. It is too much.
Edit: I should say that it might grow into it. At that size, it will be hard to find anything else for it.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That's quite possibly mould from the leftovers. The enclosure looks way too wet IMO. How's the ventilation of the enclosure? I hope it does have ventilation. ;)

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
While you want slightly moist substrate, you don't want conditions excessively wet. If you have a water dish, which it looks like you've got, it shouldn't ever need any extra misting on the sides. Too much moisture is as bad as not enough. If you're going to mist the side do like literally one single spray like once every ten days or so. Again, it's not necessary with the inclusion of the water dish. Hope this helps.

cold blood

Staff member
Alright, first, the hamorii is fat and probably wint eat till after molting...the chromatus should be a great eater, it just may need a few days.

Now, get used to not seeing them in such a large emclosure. They will be compelled to burrow away almost constantly.

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
I can try to move him to a smaller one. I have some deli cups, but it seems to small. The one he's in is what the breeder sent. Should I take out the web and see what inside it? I would really hate to since it's the first time he's made one. I pulled on it a little and the white is definitely web.

Of course it has ventilation. The lid has a ton of holes and there's two rows of hole along the top edge too. I wouldn't put him in something without holes lol.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bark from trees can be used! In DRY terrariums. Have used it for years. Just let it dries and it can be used, but only in dry tanks, otherwise risk of mold

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
Haven't posted in forever... Just thought I'd update on my B. hamorii. He's gotten so big and is starting to show some reds! IMG_20190717_225141.jpg

My N. chromatus is a pain though. He's only eaten twice and is very flighty...
Snapchat-1644777206.jpg

I also took in an A. seemani that someone abandoned at my landlords other property. He's been here about a month, and hasn't eaten yet. He's made a thick blanket of web over his cage though... Including his water dish, which is frustrating
IMG_20190717_232138.jpg

Shinra

Arachnopeon
Just to chime in:

I think a chromatus can be a good first T. With few exceptions I think most Ts are manageable (even OW to an extent) if you do your research and treat them with respect. That being said I agree it’s better to start NW since they’re typically more sane. My first OW species was a communal balfouri set up with five slings - hadn’t encountered any species as fast as that other than my tapis (rehousings are the best for these guys....).
Your chromatus will eat like a champ after a few molts but mine isn’t too bolty. It has an attitude and will throw up a threat posture if you even look at it the wrong way but rarely kicks hairs (I find the N colo to be my ultimate bolter).

The seemani could be in premolt. Aphonopelma also tend to have a glacial growing speed so don’t worry. Mine is currently on month two of having sealed itself in its burrow. It dug right up to the glass so I can monitor it but don’t panic. Just keep the water dish full and let the T decide what it wants to do. Sometimes they’ll seem like they’re in premolt and then for no reason start eating again...

Just make sure you give it deep enough substrate to dig. Most specimens I’ve seen tend to favour digging burrows :)

mushuporker

Arachnopeon
Okay so, I got a bonus at work and want to get more tarantulas. I know for sure I'm getting C. cyaneopubescens and I'm think Caribena versicolor as well. At some point I'd like to get a Gooty sapphire ornamental(can't remember scientific name lol), but I think that may be a bit beyond my care level at this point. Opinions?