did some pairing last night

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Highland and lowland subfusca are the same species, hanumavilasumica (did I even spell that right this time) is the 9th I'm thinking of. I'm unaware of any other that could be found with the right connections.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Highland and lowland subfusca are the same species, hanumavilasumica (did I even spell that right this time) is the 9th I'm thinking of. I'm unaware of any other that could be found with the right connections.
There's currently 13 species in the USA, counting highland (subfusca) and lowland (bara) as one species.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
There's currently 13 species in the USA, counting highland (subfusca) and lowland (bara) as one species.
Right. That's what I was saying. Hanumavilasumica (spelling?) is the 13th, right? I've never been able to find it anywhere so I kinda stopped looking.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

So are they really one species? Or rather does anyone know for scientific certainty. Or that is another Avic scenario?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Right. That's what I was saying. Hanumavilasumica (spelling?) is the 13th, right? I've never been able to find it anywhere so I kinda stopped looking.
You got the spelling right. I just use 'hanuma' as the name is absurdly long, same goes for 'tigrina.'

There's hanumas for sale periodically. Keep an eye out. Might as well go all the way when you're this close and get that species too. We need to keep each other updated on what MM's we have.

---------- Post added 04-07-2014 at 08:01 PM ----------

So are they really one species? Or rather does anyone know for scientific certainty. Or that is another Avic scenario?
Supposedly the same, although in much of Europe they still use 'bara.' Some of us aren't totally convinced they're the same species, or if they are, may a subspecies (which could be the case with all the Avics that are close to Avic avic).

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
It would be really cool if we could get confirmation of a subspecies of tarantula. Arboreal or not.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It would be really cool if we could get confirmation of a subspecies of tarantula. Arboreal or not.
I'm thinking Avic avic is a prime candidate. There's at least half a dozen described 'species' that are very similar.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm thinking Avic avic is a prime candidate. There's at least half a dozen described 'species' that are very similar.
I agree. When you look at the boards in Europe etc, there's a reasonable amount of discussion that many of the "species" could in fact be locality differences and perhaps nothing more. They are all based off the original paper describing Avic avic. There really aren't many definitive species of Avic, but there are a ton of Avic sp this/that/the next thing.

When it comes to taxonomy I fully believe in cladistics, I also know there is value in pulling in DNA as well, particularly for subspecies identification.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Poecilotheria regalis female #2 sac pulled. 82 good ewls, and alot of undeveloped eggs.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus elegans hooking up. Thats the male sticking out, i couldnt get a good shot.

Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large sac!

awiec

Arachnoprince
^^

So adorable, my regalis finally molted out of being a 1 inch ball of fuzz and is looking more like a proper pokie now.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pterinochilus chordatus! This one took a while as the female was super gentle and receptive, but the male was scared to death. Very excited about these! Male is on loan from BigB.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus elegans sac! Only took 12 days lol. It looks like the webbing around the sac is a little thin, im hoping she adds more to it, or atleast it will be ok that way.

web eviction

Arachnolord
Sweet man! Hopefully that sac holds up? My girls sac was pretty big but wrapped much thicker...
But hey if it stays good at least you can see the progress :) I had 1st instars at like 33 days I think it was.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah i sure hope it does man! I figure ill pull this one a little early, maybe at ewl stage. Probably 25 days.