Day & Night Cycle

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
All my ts are in amac boxes except for some slings all the others are juvies and they are all in a big Exo terra with under cabinet lights on the back so it's not shining directly on any of them on timers. Every morning the lights kick in and I notice most come out of their hides or borrows onto the sides of the box closets to the lights almost as if sunning for about an hr or two then retreat to their hides. So I'm my experience they seem to enjoy even just the little bit of light I give them.

cold blood

Staff member
What do you mean by the above? What do you mean by survival, if you mean whether it will live or die, that's a black/white definition.
I mean that the light is the reason they hide when they do and why they typically emerge when they do....if the world were devoid of light for the next year...it would effect the lives of many animals on the planet...arachnids however, would not be one of the ones that would suffer as a direct result.

Without the light period, they wouldn't develop that rhythm...it exists because of the light period....I really don't believe a t needs light to survive, in fact I think without light they would be unaffected other than being out and about more often.

This is my experience in having a predominantly dark t room for the past 8 years. The previous 7 years I had light via distant windows lighting the room.....literally the only difference I have seen as a result of less light is a significantly higher percentage of them frequently visible and ts that spend less time hiding and more time out.

Is light a problem? Of course not, but neither is the lack of light.

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
.......and a carpet full of roaches living on bat dung.
The thought of that scares me ..I do remember going too a cave sad seeing spiders, I didn't give it too much thought until I seen this post and I remember seeing them as for if I know what kind ..I'm not sure lol..

cold blood

Staff member
Right now I am packing an ezendami that has literally never hid its entire life (I got it at 2i)...but its spent the last 30 minutes in the well lit living room...don't ya know, its already burrowed beneath the ground to avoid the light...literally the first time its ever hid...its a direct result of the light, just as its not hiding for the past year plus was a direct result of the perpetual darkness.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
I mean that the light is the reason they hide when they do and why they typically emerge when they do....if the world were devoid of light for the next year...it would effect the lives of many animals on the planet...arachnids however, would not be one of the ones that would suffer as a direct result.

Without the light period, they wouldn't develop that rhythm...it exists because of the light period....I really don't believe a t needs light to survive, in fact I think without light they would be unaffected other than being out and about more often.

This is my experience in having a predominantly dark t room for the past 8 years. The previous 7 years I had light via distant windows lighting the room.....literally the only difference I have seen as a result of less light is a significantly higher percentage of them frequently visible and ts that spend less time hiding and more time out.

Is light a problem? Of course not, but neither is the lack of light.
I'll agree with the fact that they don't need light to survive as well as be more VISABLE without it since they don't get on a schedual. Plenty of people have kept ts with no lights and had success I do believe at least for a limited time with my collection they seem to enjoy soaking it in a bit in the mornings though..will they be fine without it probably. But since they seem to enjoy it I will keep them lit :) of course this is only with the spiders I have an in no way am I saying all but all 25 of mine some fossorial some aborial and some terrestrial can be seen closet to th light when it first kicks on in the morning they will crawl out of their hiding spots if only for a bit

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
What do you mean by this?
I think the light helps train them when to come out and when to hide..just like in the wild you can see spiders early morning basking out in the open getting a bit of warmth before retreating to hide from the heat. My lights kick on and off everyday at the same time and it gets to the point they will sit and wait in the same spots in the morning waiting for them to come on. Without lights I don't believe they would have a sence of night or day and would basically move when and were they want and or be more inclined to use the whole cage as a burrow since it's dark. As the day heats up mine will start to retreat to their burrows if their was no light I don't believe they would have to or even know it was daylight in a completely dark room. I still prefer to light them though they seem to enjoy it and during the day I am working so when I get home and the lights go off they come back out again :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I mean that the light is the reason they hide when they do and why they typically emerge when they do....
I wouldn't say its the light that makes them hide but the millions of years of evolution that tells them the risk of predation is greater during the day...

Uial

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry to revive this, but I don't want to start another thread when there is one with the right topic already.
I have a question about the day and night rhythm, as well as stress for the tarantula. I'm a beginner, and i'm trying to decide if it is even feasible for me to keep a tarantula. I don't know if this is relevant, but I would like to get an eupalaestrus campestratus.
My problem is that I work night shifts only, which means even on my days off, I go to bed at 5 am and get up at 1 pm. All trough the night I have the light on in my room, since I'm awake and there is a certain level of noise, as i'm watching t-shows or talking to friends. As a student, so I don't really have the money to have a special room just to keep the tarantula in. I only have one room with windows and one bathroom without a window. So if I were to keep the tarantula in my room it would be bright during the night and dark till 1 pm or even later if I have to work longer. Could I put the enclousure into the bathroom or into a cupboard at 8 pm , so it could get some dark and a little quieter? And then maybe keep it there until I get up? It won't be ideal, because it's day would start at 1 pm when I would bring it back to my rooom with the windows, and I would have to carry it's enclousure 2 times a day which might stress it out? Or could the tarantula live on my screwed up rhythm? Or would it just have a bad life then?

I would be thankful if anyone could tell me if it is even possible to keep a tarantula under these conditions? I do not want the animal to suffer under my care, and if you tell me that it's not good for the tarantula to live like this, then I will not get one.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm sorry to revive this, but I don't want to start another thread when there is one with the right topic already.
I have a question about the day and night rhythm, as well as stress for the tarantula. I'm a beginner, and i'm trying to decide if it is even feasible for me to keep a tarantula. I don't know if this is relevant, but I would like to get an eupalaestrus campestratus.
My problem is that I work night shifts only, which means even on my days off, I go to bed at 5 am and get up at 1 pm. All trough the night I have the light on in my room, since I'm awake and there is a certain level of noise, as i'm watching t-shows or talking to friends. As a student, so I don't really have the money to have a special room just to keep the tarantula in. I only have one room with windows and one bathroom without a window. So if I were to keep the tarantula in my room it would be bright during the night and dark till 1 pm or even later if I have to work longer. Could I put the enclousure into the bathroom or into a cupboard at 8 pm , so it could get some dark and a little quieter? And then maybe keep it there until I get up? It won't be ideal, because it's day would start at 1 pm when I would bring it back to my rooom with the windows, and I would have to carry it's enclousure 2 times a day which might stress it out? Or could the tarantula live on my screwed up rhythm? Or would it just have a bad life then?

I would be thankful if anyone could tell me if it is even possible to keep a tarantula under these conditions? I do not want the animal to suffer under my care, and if you tell me that it's not good for the tarantula to live like this, then I will not get one.
You are way over-thinking things...just get a t.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron

No need to move the enclosures around. I work nights too, and all my T's are doing fine. Just provide them with a hide so they can get away from the light if they want to.

boina

Lady of the mites

Really, just get a T, put it on a shelve and give it a hide. I work late, so all my Ts have light in the middle of the night when I get home until I go to bed. They only need a hide and most of the time they won't even use it.

Maybe don't be to fixated on an Eupalaestrus - they are extremely rare and hard to get.

Uial

Arachnosquire
Thank you all for answering. I worried so much about this, but then again I do tend to overthink and worry too much. I'm just happy I can get a T.

Maybe don't be to fixated on an Eupalaestrus - they are extremely rare and hard to get.
I'n not really fixated on Eupalaestrus, If I don't manage to get one here, I would try to get an Aphonopelma chalcodes, Grammostola Pulchripes or a Brachipelma Smithi. But I don't know if they are any easier to get in Germany.

boina

Lady of the mites
Thank you all for answering. I worried so much about this, but then again I do tend to overthink and worry too much. I'm just happy I can get a T.

I'n not really fixated on Eupalaestrus, If I don't manage to get one here, I would try to get an Aphonopelma chalcodes, Grammostola Pulchripes or a Brachipelma Smithi. But I don't know if they are any easier to get in Germany.
Yes, they are easier to get. I'm in Germany, too, so if you've decided what you want you can PM me if you want and I can point you to a reliable vendor. There are a few vendors you should avoid so it may be a good idea to ask before you buy.