Best Affordable Camera to take pics

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
D40 is way worse then the D40x. IMO.
If you have to get one of the two go for the D40x. But I would never buy it.
Just because the D40 shoots .5 frames per second slower and has a lower MP, makes it way worser? Differences in image quality is barely noticeable, especially with these new DSLR camera releases. If you want quality, invest money in a new piece of glass.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just because the D40 shoots .5 frames per second slower and has a lower MP, makes it way worser? Differences in image quality is barely noticeable, especially with these new DSLR camera releases. If you want quality, invest money in a new piece of glass.
Exactly. Lenses will last far longer than your camera body. Not to mention the D40x and D80 are being discontinued since nikon released the D60.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
D40 is way worse then the D40x. IMO.
Why is it "way worse" ?:?

I hope buying the D300 gives your all the fulfillment you need :)

The D40x was released to make money off of "megapixel chasers" and to compete with a certain pricerange of canon. The D40 even has a couple of advantages over the D40x

I will say that I have a D40, and have absolutely no intention of "upgrading" anytime soon. Mainly b/c it does everything I want. What I do (mainly) with my D40 is take pictures of spiders and share them online at 800x600 (or less). Spending the money on anything else would be a complete waste for me.

If you were interested in purchasing a D40x right now, you should wait for the D60 (which you can preorder now) that is replacing the D40x.

Eric

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The D40 and D40X are limited with there compatibility with all of the VR lenses Nikon is making. This is something that is not commonly touched on, but you can easily find it in the reviews for both bodies.
Both bodies are lacking the sensor that would communicate with the lens sensor in those VR lenses. You can still use them with those two bodies, but only on full manual. Manual assist with the VR lens is a big plus allowing you to shoot without a tripod and the results are still pretty damn good considering you would expect there to be plenty of extra noise because of your natural movement while photographing something. This fairly new VR feature is perfect for field shooting.

So with the D40 and D40X you can only run the AF-S or AF-I lenses.

But with the D80 you are not limited at all by the body and you can shoot with every single lens Nikon makes. And the VR lens are nothing to scoff at they are amazing. 99% of my photo thread is shot free handed no tripod, and most of that is possible just because of the VR lens. I am no where near the best on here, I am still learning a lot myself, but I think its amazing that you can shoot a close macro shot free handed like that and not have it look like you have beer goggles on.

Additionally the D80 has an 11 area AF system against the D40 and D40X 3 TTL. Minor to some but I can see the differences in AF reaction time and overall effectiveness when it comes to focusing.
Having played with all three bodies I would never buy the D40 or The D40X.

I could add other things here, but as I have said many times before, IMO IMO IMO. ;) That's the best part about photography. It's whatever works for you, do your own research, compair shop then buy based on what you want. Everything else is just someone’s opinion, just like this is mine.

If you were interested in purchasing a D40x right now, you should wait for the D60 (which you can preorder now) that is replacing the D40x.
I agree with this 100%, I do believe from what I have read the above issues with the VR lenses are going to be corrected with this new body, plus there are some cool little tech upgrades and it should not break the piggy bank.

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The D40 and D40X are limited with there compatibility with all of the VR lenses Nikon is making.
All of the newer AF-S lenses with VR are fully compatible with the D40. The new lenses that I believe your speaking of are AF-S lenses... what exactly will not work with D40? Maybe I'm confused.

I have 3 lenses as of today, and 1 I'm purchasing soon. Of these 4 lenses, only 1 of them will not AF with the D40, and I wouldn't be using AF with this lens anyway. I have:

AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm
AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-55mm (the kit lens)
AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm (you have this one I believe?) This one is my next purchase.

All of the above will AF just fine with the D40.

The one below won't (I LOVE this lens), but it doesn't matter to me... and if you needed it to, the recent updated version (THIS ONE) will.

AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm

Eric

The last one I use for marco shots and I wouldn't be using AF anyway. Plus, if you really needed AF with this lens, the recently released "update" to this lens (60mm AF-S Macro) will AF just fine with the D40.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The last one I use for marco shots and I wouldn't be using AF anyway. Plus, if you really needed AF with this lens, the recently released "update" to this lens (60mm AF-S Macro) will AF just fine with the D40.
The AF assist while using something like the 60mm is awesome. You still have 100% control of everything, including fine focusing, ISO ect, but it gets you to the general areal of focus in a split second, then you can fine tune when you are close to where you should be,
I guess you do have a point though that is only really an issue if you are not shooting on a tripod.

My one regret so far was not getting the 60mm macro. I have played with my friends. The max zoom is amazing, its lighter by a lot compaired to the 105mm. But with that said I am never returning the 105mm! That lens is amazing!
Try the 60mm at the store before you commit to the 105mm. Both are amazing but I think it comes down to personel pref in the end.

I shoot a lot of other objects like people, and that is where things like AF points come in real handy. So with the d80 there are 11 af points, and the D300 has 51.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Try the 60mm at the store before you commit to the 105mm. Both are amazing but I think it comes down to personel pref in the end.
I have the 60mm already :) I want to get the 105 for times in the field where I may not want to break the "flight distance" of some inverts etc..

I shoot a lot of other objects like people, and that is where things like AF points come in real handy. So with the d80 there are 11 af points, and the D300 has 51.
Oh sure, no doubt there. But I tend to not be using my 60mm macro when I'm doing other types of shooting.

For me, knowing the types of things I personally do with the camera, I would either buy a D40 or step all the way up to a D300. I wouldn't personally buy anything in between.

Eric

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is only one downside to the 105mm in relation to field shooting. The lens is made for macro, so really anything past 12ft or so just does not come out that well. Now you and I would more then likely be shooting things closer then that, but it still sucks that it is so limited for even the mildest of mid range pictures. You can limit the lens or run it on full, either or it’s a pure macro lens. I am sure you know that though. It basically forces you to change lenses if you are doing anything other then macro.
What is amazing is how fast that lens can dial in, say you see something and want a quick shot before it moves and you miss it. With that lens and the sensor it has within man oh man you are going to be impressed!
And as you mentioned when you skip ahead to the D3 or D300 the big big benefit to that is the shutter reset time is virtually non existent. The D300 can lock in and record an image almost before your brain registers that it happened, and there is no way you’d be ready that quick to take another picture!
The D300 also has a self cleaning lens. That is going to come in handy for me because I am not comfortable cleaning the “guts” so to speak in my camera. I’ll take mine in once a year and let a pro clean it. My luck Id get in there and break something.

EDIT- and the dang thing is a bit heavy. You will find that with your D40 and the 105mm on the front you are going to be absurdly heavy in the front. But with time you get used to it.

Last edited: