Best Affordable Camera to take pics

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey how do you like that camera? I made the mistake of tinkering with it in the camera store and I just have to have it now.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Really, you can stop showing off that D300. :drool:

Kyle?

Really, having a nice flash system isn't as important, i have gotten away with just shooting with the on-board flash most of the time.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It has its pros and cons.

The pros (from the D40): My AF-D lenses autofocus. I can change metering modes, ISO, white balance, and focusing modes without having to go through the menus avoiding the "Keep your fang right there, tarantula, while I adjust my camera." scenario. Exposure bracketing is freakin awesome! Live view makes manual macro focusing soooo much easier! Active D-Lighting is the best thing since sliced bread. High ISOs look sweet. The list goes on...

The biggest con, which I can deal with and I'm definitely not complaining here cause I knew what I was getting myself into, is the weight. Walking around the zoo with this thing on your shoulder all day definitely isn't my favorite thing to do.

I don't think you'll have any problems coming from a D80. Nikon's menu system is pretty straight forward. Besides getting used to all the extra features, I had no problems coming from the D40.

Now I just need a better flash...come on tax return!!

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tunedbeat, yeah I know, but on-camera flash always puts the shadows behind the subject. I can bounce the flash, but then I get shadows beneath the subject and then my camera has to bump up the ISO from the light loss. I think getting the flash off the camera will greatly improve my photography.

Another thing, going from a 6mp camera to a 12mp I definitely noticed the effects of diffraction a lot more.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now I just need a better flash...come on tax return!!
Exactly! That is where my taxes are going. Well that and a flat screen Tv.

The only think I think I have to take some time getting used to is the fact they moved some of the controls that were on the right too the left side of the camera.
Heck ya that live mode was fun to tinker with! ANd with 51 focal points I cant wait to get my hands on one. The sad thing is once I have the D300 and the flash setup, and the 105mm VR lens on it, the dang thing will be worth more then my car!

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Friend of mine has the D300 its got some features that are just plain amazing. It has a little built in vibrating mechanism to shake off dust from the sensor before taking a picture. Like 100+ focusing points? Did you buy just the body?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea... 51 points is a huge step up from the D50. I can't wait to order my body. Got any Idea where to get one cheaper?
That's actually the interesting part. Most of the time you can find the body for a cheaper price online. But not with this body. You are going to shell out about 1800 no matter where you go right now.

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not that more focus points means much for T photography mind you. You in anycase just use 1 to focus on the eyes :) . But just get yourself either the SB-800 or if you can afford to, the R1C1 clos-up kit (outstanding for macro work). And just bragging a little, I have my D3 arriving soon to complement my D2X :cool:

p.s. you can save a bit by getting the new AF-S 60mm Macro.

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its no war just facts the Nikon D300 will limit the resolution of a good lense the only solution is full frame digital or film.
Not true actually, the top end digital SLR's are 'resolving' more lines per mm than film ever did! Be careful not to confuse huge enlargement 'quality' with resolution. Don't forget that most digital slr's only use the central part of the lens and therefore bypass most lenses's faults. As for Canon vs Nikon, I have a Canon EOS 1Ds and a Nikon D2X. I would never use the Canon were it not for the occassional sport or wildlife action pic where it sometimes has the edge over my Nikon. For everything else I prefer my Nikon. And just getting back to original topic, most piont & shoots are excellent nowadays. You still generally get better results from the Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus's etc, but the best advice is to stick to one of those names, choose a price range and go test out the macro ability in-shop for yourself.

Dean86

Arachnopeon
Sure they wont mind me bringing a T to Pose for me :D
Check them Run out the store...Have my Eye set on Nikon S51.
macro from 4cm...

Still not sure thanks for all the help guys

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sure they wont mind me bringing a T to Pose for me :D
Check them Run out the store...Have my Eye set on Nikon S51.
macro from 4cm...

Still not sure thanks for all the help guys
I looked up the samples from it. Thinking about getting myself one for a grab and go... I would say wise choice. If you have a problem, I have experience with Nikon through Walmart and they are easy to deal with. :clap:

Out of all the camera's I have sold in the department.. Nikon was the least broken/returned.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sweet...I just got my taxes back and ordered an SB-800, lightstand, gel filters, and umbrella! I can't wait! It's not only for taking pictures of my T's. My girlfriend wants me to do her college senior portraits.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ah i need a new cam!i got my eyes on the Nikon D40X.would love to get that and a nice lens sometime this year.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nikon D40X
Over hyped and heavily outmatched by the next level Nikon model D80. Not too much more money for much much better performance. Go to a camera store yourself and hold the D40x and the D80 and tinker with them you will see what I mean. Ask some questions about the differences as well.

Actually I am going to sell my D80 here soon, well below cost, and with an extended repair warrantee. ;)

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You should save your money and buy a D40 and a good lens. But if you're looking to spend that much money on a body alone, you should get a used D200. They're about the same price as a D80.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
D40 is way worse then the D40x. IMO.
If you have to get one of the two go for the D40x. But I would never buy it.