Best Affordable Camera to take pics

Dean86

Arachnopeon
Hey ppl its my Birthday soon...Feel free to donate :D jokes.
Reason of this post is I want a camera to take close ups of T's but not SLR Camera;s they to expensive.
Was thinking of the Sony H3 , it is a 8.1mp and has 12x optical zoom with a 2cm macro mode.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd say for the money, canon PS's are the best..you can get a great camera for just over 200 bucks

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mine is PS sd550 practically indestructible..its 2 years old

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I worked in a Walmart Photocenter for about 2 1/2 years (Boo walmart.. I know I know.), but nonetheless I did learn alot. I would recommend the Kodak Easyshare with the larger diameter lens. Those work great or the Canon Powershots... Stay far away from the Sony... they were/are constantly returned. If you are going to pay around 2-300 dollars for a camera... why not save up 100 to 200 on your own and go half on a Nikon D40 or D50.. get a macro lens or filter for around 50-100 dollars... makes a huge difference. Just my 2 cents.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just bought a Canon Power Shot A720IS. Its a great point and shoot camera. Macro works pretty good.

Dean86

Arachnopeon
What about a Fuji S5700.. Anyone tried that see they do have the canon that you say here.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
no such thing as a good P/S lol
The nikon D40x would be good
I dont think the lower end canons are worth the money .

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No matter what brand you go with, pay a little more if you can. The entry level device in ANY product line is going to be a piece of junk. I'm not real happy with my Sony cybershot dsc t40 because the colors are all weird unless the light is just right. I'd say try Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Olympus. My Nikon D70 is 4 years old and still a verrrry sweet camera.

And drach, i disagree that you can't get a good point-an-shoot. You just can't get one cheap and there are some junky ones out there even for lots of $. A good P/S will run somewhere around $300-$400. Digital SLR like D40x is the best way to go though. To take good pictures you need to know your camera's settings and use them no matter what camera you have.
If i point my D70 and just shoot away in full auto mode i get crap shots. It's still macro focus on aperture priority or full manual to get decent T shots. Photographing bugs ain't easy.

Neither is pimpin'.

Last edited:

Dean86

Arachnopeon
I will look at Nikon seems like there is a huge comp between Nikon and Canon :D

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SLR cameras can be affordable...if you select one of the old manual film SLRs on the used market. Cameras like the Canon AE1 or Nikon FM are great for learning the basics of photography and can be fitted with nice, sharp macro lenses and other close up accessories.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
SLR cameras can be affordable...if you select one of the old manual film SLRs on the used market. Cameras like the Canon AE1 or Nikon FM are great for learning the basics of photography and can be fitted with nice, sharp macro lenses and other close up accessories.
All true but i can't see why anybody getting into photography at this time would want to go with film. Yeah, you can get better images if you're skilled enough but digital can be pretty good too. Also, being able to take 1000 shots and to review your shots as you take them pretty much trumps film in my opinion. (I shot film for years, all dig now)

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In no way shape or form is learning the ropes practical with film. Especially with manual focus or Lighting.... ISO is a huge section to test in itself. I have spent probably 300 dollars on film in the past.. and thank got I went digital.. I have already paid off my camera just in what would have been film costs. I suggest using www.pbase.org and click on the camera you like and then check out the samples shot with it. You will see what to go with... also goto: www.dpreview.com for some very accurate breakdowns of the cameras. They would know best what to pay more for and what bracket to put yourself into. I can only recommend saving a bit longer and stepping up to a NIKON digital SLR... it was the best move talent/money wise in my photographic Career. Check out my Gallery at www.myspace.com/ihbphotography or www.isaac-boda.deviantart.com/gallery

I should have some macro's in both of those.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This question would be better posed on a photography forum.

I use a 5 megapixel Kodak z740 for all of my pics. Under $250 iirc.

Techuser is probably one of the best photographers here on AB and he uses a 3.1 MP Canon powershot.

bluegootty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanx

i've learn alot from u guys..im trying to take a few shot..but i guess i got to go buy new camera..damn mine sux..welll if ur plan to spend 200-300 bucks on camera..which would b the best choice???? thank you so much....xpert pics taking peeps...:}

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Try to spend your highest amount in the Section of a Nikon, Canon PS, or a Kodak Z series... I don't know the models.. but you should be able to get around 6-8megapix with standard zoom. The way digital zoom works is best described as a Telescope for the first section of it. The camera may be 8x standard 4x digital which means it will zoom on its own 8x and then digitally magnify 4x (digital zoom reduces quality).. the higher standard zoom is something to look for. Steer clear from companies that make other products like TV's and laptops.. they don't focus on one section making them not as reliable. I would personally go with a Nikon.. I haven't had a problem with mine and I have had it 3 years no I think... Its been an amazing camera. I have seen good pics out of the macro section on the three I have listed. Check em out... if you don't like the one you got.. take it back and get a different one.