B. baumgarteni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just bought it from a local pet store. I had been looking at it for a while (months?) and forgot about it when I didn't see it anymore. I thought they sold it until they pulled it out again. So I bought it. I have no idea on it's origins and the management changed at the store, so I couldn't even ask them. For as long as I remember it's had the same coloration. It may be a little more pronounced now that it's older.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just bought it from a local pet store. I had been looking at it for a while (months?) and forgot about it when I didn't see it anymore. I thought they sold it until they pulled it out again. So I bought it. I have no idea on it's origins and the management changed at the store, so I couldn't even ask them. For as long as I remember it's had the same coloration. It may be a little more pronounced now that it's older.
I also bought just one from the pet store and I did asked them who they bought it from, the owner of the pet store said it came from LLLREPTILE. And the other ones that I bought was directly thru LLLREPTILE. Did you buy your spider this year? And is that the only one you have?

Jose
www.exoskeletoninverts.com
support@exoskeletoninverts.com

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, in fact I just bought it this weekend. That was the only one that looked like that and the only one like this that I have.

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Someone just sent me this one wondering what it is.

If it had a full mask, I would lean towards baum, if it had no mask, I'd say boeh. But 1/2 mask? I don't know. What do you think, jose? He's selling it.

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 04:32 PM ----------

The other one did molt. It's a female about 4.5 inches

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Someone just sent me this one wondering what it is.

If it had a full mask, I would lean towards baum, if it had no mask, I'd say boeh. But 1/2 mask? I don't know. What do you think, jose? He's selling it.

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 04:32 PM ----------

The other one did molt. It's a female about 4.5 inches
Photo needs to be clearer and also it is always best to take the photo outside in a natural lightning setting. It is harder to tell with a flash, photos will come out different. When I say natural lightning setting I take my photos in a shading area, not to dark of a shading area. So that there is no direct sunlight. Also can you find out what size it is?

Jose

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 02:48 PM ----------

Also need photo of the metatarsus. Measurement is a big factor so if you can find out exactly what size it is will be helpful.

Jose

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 03:02 PM ----------

One thing that you have to look for in the differences between the boehmei and the baumgarteni is : The boehmei has the red marking on the patella but it also blends in to the rest of the legs I'm not saying that the legs are going to be exactly like the color of the knee marking. The baumgarteni also has the red marking on the patella but the rest of the legs are of an orange peachy looking color it is an obvious upset color from the patella knee marking color. So if you go back and look at my photos you will see what I'm talking about. I put up different photos sizes of boehmei and baumgarteni so you should be able to tell what I'm talking about.

Jose
support@exoskeltoninverts.com

Last edited:

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunately, that was the picture he gave me, but I might go see it in the next week or so. I think it is about 3 inches? He said it was smaller than mine.

The suspected baumgarteni that I posted here, recently molted so I will obtain the molt and take pictures of the spermathaca for reference against a boehmei when I get a boehmei molt.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brachypelma baumgarteni front view, side view and back view at 6" inches

Ok, I was going to wait until she molted but I m going to go ahead and put this up. Anyone care to explain what the difference is between the baumgarteni and boehmei please do so cause I'm not very good of explains thing in writting. I know that there is quite a few baumgarteni floating around this year in people's collection that was sold as boehmei. Wether you guys want to believe that or not it is up to you guys. I'm glad I posted this thread to keep you inform what I have come across with this species. Over and out. Thanks for looking!

Jose

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, I was going to wait until she molted but I m going to go ahead and put this up. Anyone care to explain what the difference is between the baumgarteni and boehmei please do so cause I'm not very good of explains thing in writting. I know that there is quite a few baumgarteni floating around this year in people's collection that was sold as boehmei. Wether you guys want to believe that or not it is up to you guys. I'm glad I posted this thread to keep you inform what I have come across with this species. Over and out. Thanks for looking!

Jose
Any doubtful thought that this is baumgarteni?

Last edited:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pretty clear B. baumgarteni. note the "flash" marking on the metatarsus. B. boehmei does not have this.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pretty clear B. baumgarteni. note the "flash" marking on the metatarsus. B. boehmei does not have this.
And you are correct! Now I would like to ask you, would you or would you not agree that the photo specimens that Dave and I provided are still in the process of getting the "flash"? I can start to see the flash myself do to the fact that I have the spider with me and and I can see it better visually, so this is why I have both different specimens and can compare from one another.
I have here that freedumbdclxvi put up his photo thread two of his photos he says it is a boehmei, clearly to me it is not a boehmei your spider of that photo is bigger than my young immature male, so if you still have he or she I would retake some of those photos of the metatarsus. Can you do that for us? http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?238071-Freedumbdclxvi-s-Picture-Thread/page10

Jose

Last edited:

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently acquired this 4" female up here in Canada. She doesn't have the prominent "flash" on her metatarsus yet.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently acquired this 4" female up here in Canada. She doesn't have the prominent "flash" on her metatarsus yet.

Give it time she will get it! It is not just the flash to look for, after they keep molting thru time after time they start to get black hairs on the legs boehmei does just a little bit it is not as visually as the baumgarteni. If you look at the baumgarteni on my photo gallery you will see what im talking about take a look at the back legs it is the only photo I have of her after a recent molt a few years back. http://exoskeletoninverts.com/gallery/

Jose

---------- Post added 06-10-2013 at 03:11 PM ----------

The photo that I posted of my adult female baumgarteni she has not molted for a year and half so she is do for one. So she looks quite dole. Here is one that I found that you will see what I'm talking about. They have quite a bit of black hairs on the legs. So our young one don't have that until they reach a certain size so give it time. http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/162

Jose

---------- Post added 06-10-2013 at 03:13 PM ----------

Trav, was yours sold as boehmei or baumgarteni?

Jose

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She was sold as baumgarteni possible boehmei.
Let me ask you this! Looking at you specimen comparing to mine and also Dave's would you say it looks a lot like yours? Do you have an actual boehmei with you? And what size is your spider of the baumgarteni possible boehmei since that is how it was sold to you?

Jose

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I do have a boemei as well and I just purchased the baumgarteni a week ago.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do have a boemei as well and I just purchased the baumgarteni a week ago.
What size are each one?

Jose

---------- Post added 06-10-2013 at 06:21 PM ----------

I have to leave for a couple of hours so I will get back with you guys.

Jose

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
baumgarteni is 4 inch boehmei is 5.5 inch and just molted.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
baumgarteni is 4 inch boehmei is 5.5 inch and just molted.
So at the size of your boehmei you are going to be able to tell that she has a really nice vibrant fire leg another words it is a highlight red it almost combines with the red stripe of the patella color. As you can see of this photo. Your baumgarteni at this point her patella red color stripe is different than the rest of her legs. The color of her leg should be a orange peachy color. I'm not very good of explaining things so a hope that you can kind of understand what I'm talking about. If your boehmei just molted give her a week after molting to see her coloration better. I don't know if you have had other boehmei before so I don't mean to question your intelligence. I'm just trying to explain how to tell the baumgarteni and the boehmei apart. If someone else can explain this better than me feel free to do so....

Jose

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.