B. baumgarteni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Clearly, there is a great deal you don’t know when it comes to baumgarteni and one of them is how long they can take to mature (I already mentioned that there are still some immature males from Eddy’s 2004 breeding). So quite frankly, I couldn’t care less if you have issues with the Pope or if you need convincing to scratch yourself in the morning. I have nothing to prove to anyone, much less you.

That said, I will play along just this once, for :poop: and giggles.

The original picture I posted of the male was taken in natural light. Mature males tend to have a very fuzzy aspect to them so the flash usually messes up the image.

This image is of the same male, now months deceased:

Leg 1 :

Leg 3:

As you can see, he does indeed have the “lightning bolt” pattern on the metatarsi.

Here’s a link to an image of a male baumgarteni in the wild from Eddy Hijmensen’s website mantid.nl (you have to scroll to the bottom of the page) – I was with him when he photographed it in 2009. If you take the time to compare this male to mine, you will see that they are nearly identical (from the abdomen all the way to the cephalothorax, patella and metatarsi). The only difference being that one image was taken with the flash and the other with natural light. But in either case, the “lightning bolt” pattern, while present, is rather faint:

http://mantid.nl/tarantula/baumgarteni.html#1

Needless to say, colors, lighting, exposure, etc. are all variable. This is why pentaxonomy has little bearing in any serious discussion on a given species.

Now, I find it laughable how you like to use the “lightning bolt” characteristic when I was one of the first individuals to start using this as a potentially defining character, years ago (in the absence of any known stable keys). I am no taxonomist so this was and still is only my opinion. You on the other hand, claim that this is the defining character of the species and proclaim “evidence” based on images, despite knowing that a) color and images prove nothing as they are NOT taxonomy and b) hybrids also show this pattern as well. Even worse, you claim to be able to tell people whether or not they have baumgarteni when you have no clue as to their origin. Let’s be clear, you have not examined the type material, much less seen them in the wild… nor do you have any real experience with them to begin with so where are you coming from?

One thing I can say, based on years of visting red-legged Brachypelma type sites and large populations; there is considerable variation in coloration and size from one specimen to another within their given range and even within the same populations. Some of them have very large distribution ranges which can also result in very interesting variation. Again, another reason to avoid using images to determine a given species.

And please, Jose and anyone else, I will not divulge any information on any vendor if I feel it is irrelevant. Harping on the matter will not change anything. The damage has already been done. More importantly, you fail to realize and answer to the fact that your own local dealers imported the spiders, were aware of the situation and apparently did little if anything to mitigate the situation. Why aren’t you mudslinging them? It seems to me like their actions or lack thereof, did considerably more damage than anything else. The fact remains that this particular incident seems to have been an honest mistake on the Mexican breeder’s part and I don’t see how or why he would do it again. His reputation is already tarnished and credibility has been damaged considerably. Trying to point fingers at this stage will do nothing to improve or change anything. If you want to help the situation, stop telling people that they have or don’t have baumgarteni. If they purchased the spider as boehmi and it looks a lot like baumgarteni, then it is most likely a hybrid or a pretty spider at best. Bottom line is, if you can’t track down the origin, then you don’t know what you have when it comes to this species. Pretty simple.

If anything, I think we should all be content that there now real bonafide baumgarteni for sale in the hobby.
Your behavior is out of line. I asked questions concerning a species that I'm or was interesting in purchasing. Let me be as professional as I can be just for :poop: and giggles to you.

Did you know that your hatchlings were offered to me at wholesale? Do you think for a second that I would purchase a large sum of a species that has been previously hybrid not once, twice or three times in the last 6 to 7 years at wholesale. Without me seeing proof of all three parents that are supposed to be B. baumgarteni. Your mature male reminds me a lot of my immature male, lightning bolt pattern on your male not as visual as your two females. My 6" inch immature male shows same characteristic as your mature male, as you can see in this link see post #185 http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?248735-B.-baumgarteni/page13 and as I was told from other people my immature male is a hybrid. The only thing different from my immature male and your mature male is, once your mature male matured the black coloring mark on the carapace is no longer on your specimen. Here is Eddy' old mating photo of his mature male http://www.southernspiderworks.com/photogallery/BrBaumgarteni.JPG as you can see his mature male you can visually see the markings just like the females.

I don't expect you to care what my opinion is but you posted on Arachnoboards to post your breeding of your spiders and the results of your breeding. If you don't like the questions being asked to you, than don't bother posting. When I responded to your original post I sincerely was happy to see your post cause of the fact that I was thinking of purchasing a large sum of slings that was offered to me. Dam straight you have to convince me that the father of your hatchlings is not a mutt. But since your bad attitude and behavior it does not matter to me anymore. I'll take my money elsewhere. After all it's not just me you have to convince or prove that your hatchlings are the real deal. Who ever purchases those slings will probably want proof as well. And again maybe not.

The origins of any slings are important to know of where they came from.

In regards of the Mexican breeder, in fairness to this topic and to come to a close of naming the breeder was appropriate. I almost feel that you felt sorry for this breeder. If you feel that not naming the breeder who did the hybrids intentionally or not what's the difference of you posting and naming your self as the breeder of new hatchlings? Who cares right? The name of the breeder has been named and it has come to close for me. Yes, it was important to name the breeder since your buddy Eddy and another member Trav posted on this thread making claims about the hybrids in Mexico. Maybe your mature male came from Mexico? Maybe not...............

Now if I have people pm me on Arachnoboards in regards of what species they have I will give my input to that person. Or even on a post. I don't need to ask you or anyone else for permission to give my opinion.

I know as well that Brachypelma baumgarteni can take a while to molt. My 6" inch hybrid immature male has not molted for two years. Even hybrids will take a while too. You say I'm not an expert on this species. Well I can tell you I've own a large female Brachypelma baumgarteni. Also this old female of mine that I use to have, I've watched it grow from two old friends of mine that previously owned her for years. I know exactly what they look like, temperament etc. Does this make me an expert? Absolutely not! Im no different from you or any other a avarage hobbiest that knows a bit about tarantulas.

Just because you say that your three specimens came from Eddy's 2004 hatchlings I will be jumping up and down drinking wine for joy. As you stated before about naming people what does it matter...............

---------- Post added 08-16-2015 at 09:38 PM ----------

Oh just for :poop: and giggles I also know that Brachypelma verdezi has been hybrid with Brachypelma vegans. So there are quite a few verdezi that are not full blooded according to the breeder that hybrid the two together. But since naming the person won't change anything why bother, right? I found this out the day I found out about your hatchlings and the name of the Mexican breeder.

Last edited by a moderator:

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your behavior is out of line. I asked questions concerning a species that I'm or was interesting in purchasing. Let me be as professional as I can be just for <edit> and giggles to you.

Did you know that your hatchlings were offered to me at wholesale? Do you think for a second that I would purchase a large sum of a species that has been previously hybrid not once, twice or three times in the last 6 to 7 years at wholesale. Without me seeing proof of all three parents that are supposed to be B. baumgarteni. Your mature male reminds me a lot of my immature male, lightning bolt pattern on your male not as visual as your two females. My 6" inch immature male shows same characteristic as your mature male, as you can see in this link see post #185 http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?248735-B.-baumgarteni/page13 and as I was told from other people my immature male is a hybrid. The only thing different from my immature male and your mature male is, once your mature male matured the black coloring mark on the carapace is no longer on your specimen. Here is Eddy' old mating photo of his mature male http://www.southernspiderworks.com/photogallery/BrBaumgarteni.JPG as you can see his mature male you can visually see the markings just like the females.

I don't expect you to care what my opinion is but you posted on Arachnoboards to post your breeding of your spiders and the results of your breeding. If you don't like the questions being asked to you, than don't bother posting. When I responded to your original post I sincerely was happy to see your post cause of the fact that I was thinking of purchasing a large sum of slings that was offered to me. Dam straight you have to convince me that the father of your hatchlings is not a mutt. But since your bad attitude and behavior it does not matter to me anymore. I'll take my money elsewhere. After all it's not just me you have to convince or prove that your hatchlings are the real deal. Who ever purchases those slings will probably want proof as well. And again maybe not.

The origins of any slings are important to know of where they came from.

In regards of the Mexican breeder, in fairness to this topic and to come to a close of naming the breeder was appropriate. I almost feel that you felt sorry for this breeder. If you feel that not naming the breeder who did the hybrids intentionally or not what's the difference of you posting and naming your self as the breeder of new hatchlings? Who cares right? The name of the breeder has been named and it has come to close for me. Yes, it was important to name the breeder since your buddy Eddy and another member Trav posted on this thread making claims about the hybrids in Mexico. Maybe your mature male came from Mexico? Maybe not...............

Now if I have people pm me on Arachnoboards in regards of what species they have I will give my input to that person. Or even on a post. I don't need to ask you or anyone else for permission to give my opinion.

I know as well that Brachypelma baumgarteni can take a while to molt. My 6" inch hybrid immature male has not molted for two years. Even hybrids will take a while too. You say I'm not an expert on this species. Well I can tell you I've own a large female Brachypelma baumgarteni. Also this old female of mine that I use to have, I've watched it grow from two old friends of mine that previously owned her for years. I know exactly what they look like, temperament etc. Does this make me an expert? Absolutely not! Im no different from you or any other a avarage hobbiest that knows a bit about tarantulas.

Just because you say that your three specimens came from Eddy's 2004 hatchlings I will be jumping up and down drinking wine for joy. As you stated before about naming people what does it matter...............

Oh just for shits and giggles I also know that Brachypelma verdezi has been hybrid with Brachypelma vegans. So there are quite a few verdezi that are not full blooded according to the breeder that hybrid the two together. But since naming the person won't change anything why bother, right? I found this out the day I found out about your hatchlings and the name of the Mexican breeder.
LOL! I have no problems with the questions (they were expected). Just your tone... and you base all your arguments on pictures. At the end of the day, you don't have to buy any of them Mr. Baumgarteni. There are other interested buyers.

Cheers!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! I have no problems with the questions (they were expected). Just your tone... and you base all your arguments on pictures. At the end of the day, you don't have to buy any of them Mr. Baumgarteni. There are other interested buyers.

Cheers!
Well good for you. And I'm Mr. Baumgarteni (A.K.A Fracta Man)

Last edited:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer

[/COLOR]Oh just for :poop: and giggles I also know that Brachypelma verdezi has been hybrid with Brachypelma vegans. So there are quite a few verdezi that are not full blooded according to the breeder that hybrid the two together. But since naming the person won't change anything why bother, right? I found this out the day I found out about your hatchlings and the name of the Mexican breeder.
No :poop: sherlock......... http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?31002-Mexican-Fantasy-What-the-heck-is-it

Also fyi the male used in my 2004 breeding was 10 years old when he matured. last year another male from my 2004 breeding matured. Breeding resulted in my own f2 generation.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've enjoyed this thread, from the beginning, from each individuals stand point. It has been not only very informative for me, but many other viewers as well, I'm sure. So if at all possible, any way we could keep this thread from possibly being closed? As it seems it is heading in that direction..

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thank you for visiting my website. My stock came from the person whom the spider is named after. The first CB in 1997. I only started to visit Mexico in 2008 So I don't see the problem with my breeding? Better yet, every time I visit Mexico I have collecting papers. So if I wanted, I could collect.
For those folks who are just tunning in here is a recap.

Eddy, you stated that your stock came from the first 1997 CB Brachypelma baumgarteni hatchlings.

---------- Post added 08-17-2015 at 09:53 PM ----------

Male and female were sac mates. several specimens of my breeding were given to Dr Stuart Longhorn for DNA. So this breeding had as many guarantees as you can get
apart from going to Mexico and collecting fresh material.

funny actually, in the pic of the breeding you can see the flash marking on the metatarsus clear as day. Something you don't see in the pics of the boehmei of TalonAWD.
You also say that both male and female that you mated were sac mates from the 1997 first CB born Brachypelma baumgarteni hatchlings.

---------- Post added 08-17-2015 at 09:57 PM ----------

I'm going to ask you the same question that viper69 asked Trav. So if the female has never been describe why did you breed your Brachypelma baumgarteni if you think is a possible hybrid? Here is link of your breeding http://www.southernspiderworks.com/photogallery/BrBaumgarteni.JPG
After you hatched out over 460 slings you profit from the American people as well as others. When you are calling it a possible hybrid.
Now on your website http://www.mantid.nl/tarantula/baumgarteni.html you say:
For many years there was doubt that this new species was a natural species and not some hobby created hybrid: “It turns out that Brachypelma baumgarteni, the Mexican orangebeauty tarantula is most likely the sterile hybrid of a cross be- tween Brachypelma smithi and Brachypelma boehmei.” (ATS Forum magazine Vol 8 no 6 page 32.) In 2004 i could prove myself that the Brachypelma baumgarteni we had in Europe were not sterile. My female produced a sac holding over 460 live young.
So was your female and male a wild caught specimen that you brought back from Mexico? I thought Brachypelma sp. are on the CITES list? Can you clarify this for me? Help me understand since your specimen seems to be not a hobby version specimen, can you do this for us please?
If both of your specimens were/are wild caught I believe you have some explaining to do to the Mexican Government since yours seem to be not a hobby "Mexican Hybrid" version specimen.

Jose
Also on your website you are stating that in 2004 that you could prove yourself that the Brachypelma baumgarteni were not sterile.

---------- Post added 08-17-2015 at 10:01 PM ----------

No :poop: sherlock......... http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?31002-Mexican-Fantasy-What-the-heck-is-it

Also fyi the male used in my 2004 breeding was 10 years old when he matured. last year another male from my 2004 breeding matured. Breeding resulted in my own f2 generation.
Here you are stating that your mature male was 10 years old when he was mated with his sac mate. So if you had hatchlings in 2004, if I'm correct your male matured in 2003 is this correct? If so that would make your spider only 6 years of age from 1997 when he was born. I believe I did the math correctly 6 years of age. Eddy, your mature male was not 10 years old.

---------- Post added 08-17-2015 at 10:20 PM ----------

Cheers!
Emanuel, earlier today you pm me on Arachnoboards asking me to call you or for you to call me. I have no business or interest in having a conversation over the phone with you. My questions to you I made publicly and feel good about the results. As you can see it is obvious I have very little interest in believing in Eddy or you.

In the past Eddy has proved himself a liar/wrong untrustworthy person with his own words and still continues to follow this trend of his.

I told you before, your mature male is very similar to my immature male hybrid, both have the lightning bolt pattern but it is not as visually seen as your two females, my old female or even any other photos of the Brachypelma baumgarteni that has been posted online thru the years.

Regardless of what my opinion is, I'm glad you posted photos of the three parents of your new hatchlings.

Last edited:

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
Jose, I've posted a picture before in the ID section of the board, but this thread really has me wondering about my late female baumgarteni. This is the only picture I have on my iPad of her, but if need be I can post more when I get to a computer. I bought her as a B smithi, which is obviously wrong lol. Is she a boehmei or hybrid or true baumgarteni?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For those folks who are just tunning in here is a recap.

Eddy, you stated that your stock came from the first 1997 CB Brachypelma baumgarteni hatchlings.

---------- Post added 08-17-2015 at 09:53 PM ----------

You also say that both male and female that you mated were sac mates from the 1997 first CB born Brachypelma baumgarteni hatchlings.

---------- Post added 08-17-2015 at 09:57 PM ----------

Also on your website you are stating that in 2004 that you could prove yourself that the Brachypelma baumgarteni were not sterile.

---------- Post added 08-17-2015 at 10:01 PM ----------

Here you are stating that your mature male was 10 years old when he was mated with his sac mate. So if you had hatchlings in 2004, if I'm correct your male matured in 2003 is this correct? If so that would make your spider only 6 years of age from 1997 when he was born. I believe I did the math correctly 6 years of age. Eddy, your mature male was not 10 years old.

---------- Post added 08-17-2015 at 10:20 PM ----------

Emanuel, earlier today you pm me on Arachnoboards asking me to call you or for you to call me. I have no business or interest in having a conversation over the phone with you. My questions to you I made publicly and feel good about the results. As you can see it is obvious I have very little interest in believing in Eddy or you.

In the past Eddy has proved himself a liar/wrong untrustworthy person with his own words and still continues to follow this trend of his.

I told you before, your mature male is very similar to my immature male hybrid, both have the lightning bolt pattern but it is not as visually seen as your two females, my old female or even any other photos of the Brachypelma baumgarteni that has been posted online thru the years.

Regardless of what my opinion is, I'm glad you posted photos of the three parents of your new hatchlings.
So let me get this straight; Eddy and I are the only individuals to have actually produced real baumgarteni in the hobby in who knows how long, we’ve mapped several populations in the wild, have studied their ecology with the UNAM in Mexico, etc. You saw my females and the male cannot come from hybrids because I never purchased any at the time they were available here in Canada – more importantly, when they were available (2-3 years ago), they were less than 3”. By my standards, they would still not be mature. Not to mention that I was probably the first individual to point out to the local importer that they looked like hybrids to me. Yet, somehow, Eddy and I are both liars and unreliable because we don’t conform to your picture and size standards and we refuse to divulge irrelevant information on a particular breeder?

To top it off, I offer to clear up any questions you might have on my breeding over the phone, as a friendly gesture, and you blow me off on the forum… I rest my case Jose.

I’m content in knowing that I’ve furthered a species in the hobby that faces an uncertain future in the wild.

Last edited:

Trav

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on the successful breedings Eman!
Are you selling any of the slings or just wholesaling as I think I see someone in Canada already has them on there list?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
This thread degenerates into mudslinging every time someone posts in it.
I've given it many chances, and have given many warnings, but it's being closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.