Araneomorph (True Spider) Picture Thread

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Stunning Syspira!
Indeed. Hard to believe this is one of the most common spider genera in our deserts.. They're normally literally as common as yellow sac spiders, but cannot climb smooth surfaces like they can.

This is probably the most striking member of its genus, probably STILL not full-grown, yet. average size for adults is around 17mm

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
Indeed. Hard to believe this is one of the most common spider genera in our deserts.. They're normally literally as common as yellow sac spiders, but cannot climb smooth surfaces like they can.

This is probably the most striking member of its genus, probably STILL not full-grown, yet. average size for adults is around 17mm
Wow! What a beautiful spider to find readily. I want to visit the desert someday!

awiec

Arachnoprince

Who needs pokies (as much as I love mine) when you have those? My room would be filled with them.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Who needs pokies (as much as I love mine) when you have those? My room would be filled with them
yeah I want more. These behave like wolf spiders and are good at jumping. I can get more, may sell them :)

She'll look even better with a full stomach

Last edited:

kontan

Arachnopeon
Dang!
Just got back home to see my wolfie made a borrow and layed an eggsack. In case it's proven fertile I'm thinking of moving all of them to a bigger enclosure and try a communal setup. Do you think this will work or they will cannibalize like no tomorrow?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
MM Philodromus dispar

suns out, gunna TRY and get some decent shots of some of the Salticus scenicus roaming the walls of my house if I can get any to be complient for me.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
phidippus audax..?

Pretty much a noob with ID'ing anything so i would love a confirmation of the assumed species here.
WP_20140516_018.jpg

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tigrosa espersa

Pic with sac and with sac emptied :) she is a solid 2-1/2 inch I say sevral hundred little ones :)

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
Found a nice female Dolomedes tenebrosus today :).

How interesting. I see a photo of someone holding, say, a Dolomedes, and I think something along the lines of, "Holy sweet JAYSUS he's braver than me." And then I see a photo of someone holding a T (which I have done) and I think nothing of it. I think it's just that the trues are leggier. That's always gotten me.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
How interesting. I see a photo of someone holding, say, a Dolomedes, and I think something along the lines of, "Holy sweet JAYSUS he's braver than me." And then I see a photo of someone holding a T (which I have done) and I think nothing of it. I think it's just that the trues are leggier. That's always gotten me.
I used to have the issue of being freaked out by certain true spiders, mainly Tegenaria sp. being that they're so common and often seen around the house when the MM start looking for females, large, very fast and leggy lol.

I got over it by catching a few and caring for them once you understand their behaviours they seem less freaky, only time you really see aggressive behaviour from them is when prey hits the web otherwise they're very skittish.

One of the best spiders to watch feed along with Amaurobius sp. if you're looking for a spider that hits prey hard I don't think there are many out there that will compare with them.

---------- Post added 05-23-2014 at 09:55 AM ----------

Short clip (5 seconds) of one of my Segestria sp. feeding (unsure if it's florentina or senoculata, leaning toward senoculata due to it's size and the fact it hasn't darkened and lost the abdominal pattern like florentina do).

[video=youtube_share;f0hlktH9QwQ]http://www.youtu.be/f0hlktH9QwQ[/video]

http://youtu.be/f0hlktH9QwQ

Just started using the youtube account, plan on uploading more videos when I get the time.

Last edited: