Araneomorph (True Spider) Picture Thread

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Could she be cuter? o-o Where did you find her?
I found her near where we went last week, i collected her on accident while collecting substrate.

Hit me up if you guys wanna go. Tomorrow will be much cooler, so that spot will be great during the daytime. The only problem is i have no gas money ATM.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The local morph of P.mira, I rescued it off a plant that was about to be sprayed when it was about the size of a US dime back in October; now its a little over an inch. I'm planning to release it after the last frost next week.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Please don't shorten the genus names. It's ok with common T species but helps no-one with true spiders.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Pisaurina mira :3
Thats the one, as far as I know there aren't any other genus of true spiders that have the species name P.mira and they are a very recognizable spider, and its cousins that look similar are widespread in Europe as well. As I said this spider has 7 very distinct morphs so you will get pictures of varying colors even if I list genus.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool H. venatoria! Wouldn't mind having one of those on my wall lol

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is that a positive ID?
Hope not, doesn't look like H.venatoria to me. Not near their known range, either. Based off his location, I don't know what it is, not aware of any Sparassidae found in NY. Could have come in on his clothes from a market or something, don't know. The spider also appears to be quite small IMO, which H.venatoria is not.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ummidia sp.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Looks more like a running crab spider in the genus Philodromus
After I posted I looked at it more, I leaning towards this, perhaps Philodromus cesptium, mostly just due to body shape, as I can't see much of its markings.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Aw crud. You're right. My display was set to low.

But for real, though, h venatoria can be found anywhere.

They even have began to establish here in socal, around Newport beach.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hope not, doesn't look like H.venatoria to me. Not near their known range, either. Based off his location, I don't know what it is, not aware of any Sparassidae found in NY. Could have come in on his clothes from a market or something, don't know. The spider also appears to be quite small IMO, which H.venatoria is not.
I'm thinking I need to brush up on my identification a bit...gotten a bit rusty it seems...very cool Ummidia by the way :)

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aw crud. You're right. My display was set to low.

But for real, though, h venatoria can be found anywhere.

They even have began to establish here in socal, around Newport beach.
They can't be "found anywhere", unless we bring them places. They're not naturally spreading their range across the planet. They're found almost exclusively in warm areas of the world, including the US. Yes, including California.

Weather in the northeast, ie NY, in the winter = too rough for a pantropical spider such as Heteropoda venatoria to establish, even though it can seem tropical in the summer.

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
They can't be "found anywhere", unless we bring them places. They're not naturally spreading their range across the planet. They're found almost exclusively in warm areas of the world, including the US. Yes, including California.

Weather in the northeast, ie NY, in the winter = too rough for a pantropical spider such as Heteropoda venatoria to establish, even though it can seem tropical in the summer.
Telling me stuff i already know, brah. lol Why is it everyone here has a desire to butt heads like this? I didnt mean literally ANYWHERE, and you knew that. Yeesh.