Genus Aphonopelma

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aphonopelma seemani out for a walk

This is one of my most docile Ts. These are the 1st pics I have taken of her since she molted a few weeks ago. She cooperated very well so I give her an A+ for the day lol.

Here is a close up shot

She likes to sit on my hand

It still feels weird when a T is walking on my skin. This spider never tries to bite or flick hairs, a real sweetheart.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Cigarman said:
Are most A. Seemani's this docile?
They are usually a bit high-strung and nervous, but don't readily bite. They would much rather try to run or jump away.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. Seemani's are pretty high strung. Congratulations on being able to hold one without it escaping

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This one was a little high strung when I first got it but it has mellowed out alot.

N.W.A.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you get a picture of the fangs? You have gotten me interested in this spider and I think I might want to get one.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I have already put her up for now. Her fangs look like most others though.

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had the luck of finding several Arizona natives this spring and I am hoping that my good luck continues through summer. Here are two pictures of two different species that I collected already.

Aphonopelma sp. "Flagstaff Orange"

And the find that I am most proud of, an adult female Grand Canyon Black:
Aphonopelma behlei

I am hoping that with the female that I have collected this spring that I might be able to produce some babies next winter.

Last edited:

Mark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh!beauty
How do you find them? Can you share your field experience with me? Can you describe their natural habitat? I am interested in listening to your field trip
And How do you make sure it is her scientific name? :confused: Have you ever tried to send a cast to the expert for identifying?
Cheers

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Flagstaff orange was not found near flagstaff at all infact the local was many miles away. Also it has been agreed by many that it is just a high land Aphonopelma chalcodes. The behlei is a awsome find i have only caught a few, they seem to be few and far between. nice find. Perhaps we can exchange local info. Feel free to email me at Tarantulaspiders@cox.net

Sincerely,

Brandon

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thats awesome. i wish there were native Ts in PA!

-Mattyb

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone that replyed.

jrbd and Mattyb- I know the feeling. I grew up in washington reading about all of the cool critters that are found in Arizona and always wanted to go and see them.

Mark-I have had the best luck just looking for large rocks with some type of hole that leads under them and taking a piece of grass and rolling it around in my fingers causing the tip of the grass to bounce around the opening and they seem to come out thinking its food.
As for habitat, the Flagstaff Orange was found in a more dry desert area them the behlei. It was found where the juniper is starting to disapper and become more of an open desert. Where the behlei was found at around 7000ft and in the pine forest. Both were in burrows under dinner plate sized rocks.
I have not sent off any sheds to make sure of the species I just compared the ranges, body coloration, and temperment with a couple of websites and I am guessing that the behlei is a behlei. It might be one other species and only time will tell what it actually is.

Brendon- I will try to send you an email some time next week when I have some more free time.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Hello.
I have been waiting for the guys to molt. They were about 1" before. The were chocolate brown with a "velvety" look.

I like this molt better! You can see the tan coloration coming out.

They both molted late last night and I was able to sex them both (Girls !!! :D ).

Enjoy!

Aphonopelma hentzi 1

Aphonopelma hentzi 2

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh man! I am envious! Hentzi is on my wishlist. They actually live in this area, but I wouldn't begin to know how to find one in the wild. So I figure I need a CB for my collection. =) =)

Beautiful babies!