Genus Aphonopelma

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Chffan1 said:
nice post Brian, did you go out today again then? How long and how many did you find? Looks like you found several nice sized Ts.
This place is the steep hillside where we last went at Caney Mtn that day. I walked to the back side of the hill today and found tarantulas nearly everywhere.

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Hi,
This is in Ozark County, MO. Anywhere in SW MO,SW AR, and NE OK should have this type of habitat. The A hentzi is supposed to range to the Miss River but I am not sure what type of habitat you will find them in Eastern MO.
Thanks for the reply, I have only been to the Ozarks once, my girlfriend and some buddies went on a float trip down the current river, if I get a chance I will have to head out there and check some of those places out.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This place is about 2 hours West of the Current River. Look up Caney Mountain Refuge and you will know exactly where this place is

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I ever head down your way, maybe I'll drop you a line before I leave :D

Good field documentation Brian. I really enjoyed the pictures! :clap: :worship:

AR-Tarantula

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ozark T Distribution

For an up-to-date distribution map of tarantulas in Arkansas visit:

http://www.naturalheritage.com/biota-survey/tarantula/results.asp

Remember, on public lands in Arkansas and Missouri (state and federal) removal of plants and animals (other than legally taken game and fish) is typically forbidden (outside of collecting for scientific purposes).

Back in the 1990s, the Missouri Department of Conservation funded a state-wide tarantula survey as they were concerned about over-collecting of tarantulas and other glade species (collared lizards, coneflowers).

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Excellent post! What are the elevations where you were finding the tarantulas? Around here, in the lower and warmer elevations, I find plenty of tarantula burrows. Interestingly, almost none of them have been under rocks or other debris. On the other hand, in my high elevation bug excursions the tarantula burrows were found exclusively under large rocks. I'm interested to see if that holds true in other areas. :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi, I'm not sure of the elevation but as you can see in the one picture that it is mountainous country here. I'll have to check on that.

btw, I did notice that they are all at least 1/2 way up on the side of the hills.

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have to travel to MO, quite long trip from Hungary :D . Thanks for post them to dnfs too. :worship: I can't stop watching them ;)

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice pics and field survey. I have gotten permission to collect no more than ten for breading project for release in to certain degrading colonies. It took a while and some phone calls and one meeting. there are several glades that I cannot collect from. Some are from over harvesting and others are from written willed land from private owners. These are some the places I will be releasing some. He told me there have been reports as far as Jefferson City but he doubts they are true and for sure they are not north of the missouri river. This will take a while to get off the ground once I do get some specimens. I was told I could not sell any in this project which there was never any intent in the first place. Deciding at what size is best to release is a question I have been having trouble answering. They told me places they would like for me to try first where areas are being developed but have not found anyone stating they have knowledge of where colonies in these areas are. I will being going hunting in the near future.

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S said:
This place is about 2 hours West of the Current River. Look up Caney Mountain Refuge and you will know exactly where this place is
I'll be sure to check it out thanks!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
bengerno said:
I have to travel to MO, quite long trip from Hungary :D . Thanks for post them to dnfs too. :worship: I can't stop watching them ;)
If you ever get to Missouri be sure to look me up ok ;)

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
hey brian those pics were awsome, thanks for sharing. its really interesting to see T's in their natural habitat.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
shogun804 said:
hey brian those pics were awsome, thanks for sharing. its really interesting to see T's in their natural habitat.
Thanks David, I'm glad you like :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anthony said:
Excellent post. I had no idea it would be so dry.
Thanks. These glades are so dry because of the lack of topsoil. When it rains, the water just runs off the side of the hills.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here are a few photos from a couple different hikes. These are pictures of wild Aphonopelma burrows in California. The tarantulas were not collected.

First up is a burrow. This is NOT a tarantula burrow. Many times I see people fruitlessly pouring water down these burrows. It is a rodent burrow. Notice the lack of webbing/excavated dirt/waste/exoskeleton/prey exoskeltons around the hole.

Next up is a shot of a tarantula burrow that has been webbed over. During the day you often will find burrows with this thin webbing laid over the opening. This is presumably to keep out ants or other unwanted visitors.

If a tarantula is actively awaiting prey you will see this. I usually see tarantulas in their burrow entrances beginning in the later afternoon. The darker it gets the closer to the entrance I see them.

Here is a tarantula after I poured water in the burrow.

This is another tarantula flushed out.