Aphonopelma Behlei, any demand?

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got a group of CB adult aphonopelma belhei and was thinking of breeding them but wanted to see if there were enough people interested in this species to warrant it. I see a lot of people on here that like aphonopelmas
but not sure how everyone feels about behlei. Would anyone be interested in any of these guys?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Of course we always need Aphonopelma behlei specially captive born babies. I tried to mate my two a couple of years ago but my female decided to eat the male.

Jose

awiec

Arachnoprince
I certainly would be, granted I would maybe only get 2-3 but if you get enough interest I would certainly buy some or trade you something.

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this is good to know thanks for the input. I am a fan of aphonopelma as well and so was going to pick them up but was unsure if there was enough interest for me to try breeding them.
It seems like a lot of people are more interested in the more colorful aphonopelmas, which is completely understandable.

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
does anyone have any info regarding the two different variations of aphonopelma behlei. The ones I am getting are only about 3-3.5 inches but mature. I have read that there are 2 variations in size. from all my research it seems that the only difference is size and local. one being about 5 inches as an adult and one being 3-3.5 inches as an adult. I have been unable to find anything specific on them as was curious if anyone had any more info.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I would be most interested in the 5" form myself.

awiec

Arachnoprince
does anyone have any info regarding the two different variations of aphonopelma behlei. The ones I am getting are only about 3-3.5 inches but mature. I have read that there are 2 variations in size. from all my research it seems that the only difference is size and local. one being about 5 inches as an adult and one being 3-3.5 inches as an adult. I have been unable to find anything specific on them as was curious if anyone had any more info.
If it's the "smaller form" that you're getting then I'd be doubly interested, I will be more apt to find room for 3.5 inch spiders than 5 inch ones.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If it's the "smaller form" that you're getting then I'd be doubly interested, I will be more apt to find room for 3.5 inch spiders than 5 inch ones.

Not everyone's that pressed for space. Slings from the 3.5" form are going to be very small and not as many people will be willing to raise them up, as Aphonopelma growth rates aren't barnburners to begin with.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Interested in either form. I must have driven a few thousand miles and spent a hundred hours looking for A. behlei when I lived in AZ. Never found one myself. Eventually managed to trade an Aphonopelma chalcodes to a girl who found a small female walking around in the open near her cabin in Payson.

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not everyone's that pressed for space. Slings from the 3.5" form are going to be very small and not as many people will be willing to raise them up, as Aphonopelma growth rates aren't barnburners to begin with.
I have seen these ones raised since they were slings and surprisingly they had fairly quick growth rate. Much faster than other species of aphonopelma that I have experienced. I am picking them up tomorrow so if things work out we can start another thread to track sling growth of this species.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
To obtain behlei, you must look in pine-oak forest in the mountains of southern arizona. Mt Ord is one known locality. They probably exist in the madrean sky islands as well. there's a similar dwarf aphonopelma that looks similar to behlei. Elevation of at least 4000 feet.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm always down for more CB Aphonos in the hobby. I adore my juvie behlei. I had no idea there were two sizes though!

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My daughter has a lovely little female - never seen another. So the answer is YES...

awiec

Arachnoprince
I suppose I have the advantage as I have time and patience unlike others, this species seems like it would be worth the wait to me.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I'm raising hundreds of hentzi right now... yes, they are SLOW but worth it!!!

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To obtain behlei, you must look in pine-oak forest in the mountains of southern arizona. Mt Ord is one known locality. They probably exist in the madrean sky islands as well. there's a similar dwarf aphonopelma that looks similar to behlei. Elevation of at least 4000 feet.
so are you saying that the dwarf is not a behlei? Everything I have found so far has implied that there are 2 size variations, similer to hapalopus sp. columbia I would assume. I would love if you could point me to a source where I could read up some more on the variation.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
so are you saying that the dwarf is not a behlei? Everything I have found so far has implied that there are 2 size variations, similer to hapalopus sp. columbia I would assume. I would love if you could point me to a source where I could read up some more on the variation.
Behlei is a small species to begin with, a true dwarf would be a mature female at a 2" legspan :p The madrean dwarves could be an offshoot of behlei, they are found relatively close.