Aphonopelma Behlei, any demand?

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Behlei is a small species to begin with, a true dwarf would be a mature female at a 2" legspan :p The madrean dwarves could be an offshoot of behlei, they are found relatively close.
Thanks for the clarification. I understand what you were saying now.

On another note I picked them up yesterday, everyone is happy and healthy. Once they get a bit more settled I will attempt pairing them up. I am planning on doing it relatively soon as the male has already been mature for a while.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the clarification. I understand what you were saying now.

On another note I picked them up yesterday, everyone is happy and healthy. Once they get a bit more settled I will attempt pairing them up. I am planning on doing it relatively soon as the male has already been mature for a while.
Did you ever get any slings from this breeding? I've gotten very interested in all of the Aphon locals here in AZ, and you gotta love sky island spiders!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yeah, there's a demand. I'm pretty sure there's a demand for pretty much every species that hasn't been established in the hobby yet.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A. marxi are definitely on my wishlist. I prefer raising from slings too.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Aphonopelma isn't really my favorite genus but A. marxi is my favorite American species.
image.jpg

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I and a bunch of other people now have this species from the ATS Conference. Everyone who attended got a free sling, and lots more were raffled off.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
The trouble with A. marxi (and all of the species in the marxi species group: A. catalina sp. n., A. chiricahua sp. n., A. madera sp. n., A. marxi, A. peloncillo sp. n., and A. vorhiesi) is the difficulty locating individuals because of the remoteness, altitude, weather, and ruggedness of the terrain in their montane environments. Sky islands and the San Francisco Peaks offer some unique challenges for even assessing their numbers in the wild. It's a rare field zoologist or collector willing or able to dig out a burrow under a multi-ton boulder miles from the nearest fire road or deer trail! But yes, they are lovely, aren't they? And I'm excited by the thought that there may be as yet unidentified species in the marxi group. Ah, the great unknown....

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Oh, and if you're planning on selling/trading off this species I'd list the locality as there are probably different "morphs" of marxi.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I and a bunch of other people now have this species from the ATS Conference. Everyone who attended got a free sling, and lots more were raffled off.
Yes, it was quite generous of Dr. Brent Hendrixson... I couldn't attend but a few local hobbyists that did have offered free marxi slings brought back to us in MN.
How were the lectures? Any of them particularly interesting?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Aaaah, salt in the wound! I'm just a few hours up the road in New River, but I've come down with pneumonia and am pretty much bed bound for a while. Missed the whole blasted conference! Grrrr argh. Where and when is the next?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
And who gets pneumonia in AZ, anyway? That's like sunburn in Norway!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Oh, and if you're planning on selling/trading off this species I'd list the locality as there are probably different "morphs" of marxi.
Tarantulas are like real estate: locality, locality, locality.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, it was quite generous of Dr. Brent Hendrixson... I couldn't attend but a few local hobbyists that did have offered free marxi slings brought back to us in MN.
How were the lectures? Any of them particularly interesting?
Oh nice! Glad you got some too!
I didn't catch all of them, but I did see the Keynote address by Dr. Hendrixson; a nice presentation on Amblypygids; a talk on proper shipping methods; and the ATS President Wade Harrell, discussing the finer points of successful educational presentations with an overview his "Harrell House of Natural Oddities" at the mall in Santa Fe, NM.

Aaaah, salt in the wound! I'm just a few hours up the road in New River, but I've come down with pneumonia and am pretty much bed bound for a while. Missed the whole blasted conference! Grrrr argh. Where and when is the next?
That's too bad! Get well soon! The next Conference will likely be the same place and time, the last weekend in July in Oro Valley at The Hilton El Conquistador Resort.
Photo below:
DSCF9224.JPG

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I would LOVE to have Aphonopelma marxi but I've never seen them for sale anywhere! :(

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Oh nice! Glad you got some too!
I didn't catch all of them, but I did see the Keynote address by Dr. Hendrixson; a nice presentation on Amblypygids; a talk on proper shipping methods; and the ATS President Wade Harrell, discussing the finer points of successful educational presentations with an overview his "Harrell House of Natural Oddities" at the mall in Santa Fe, NM.

That's too bad! Get well soon! The next Conference will likely be the same place and time, the last weekend in July in Oro Valley at The Hilton El Conquistador Resort.
Photo below:
View attachment 217249

Dovey

Arachnobaron
What a lovely place! I'll pencil it in right now. Hmmm....I wonder if they have parking for "Cousin Eddie," my venerable ol' Airstream motorhome? They'd be like: :astonished:, and I'd be all: :D!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I'd love to go next year, looks like a whole lotta fun!!

What a lovely place! I'll pencil it in right now. Hmmm....I wonder if they have parking for "Cousin Eddie," my venerable ol' Airstream motorhome? They'd be like: :astonished:, and I'd be all: :D!
Hey Dovey, what species is in your profile pic? Just interested as it looks incredible!