Another heating debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
So, having a vertical heat source above the spider helps more then to either side when breeding?

I'm not currently planning on breeding but I've thought about getting my L Klugi a boyfriend for that. They're great spiders and it seems that egg sacs are harder to get from this species as opposed to LDs or LPs.

The problem is time and I'm not sure if anyone world be interested.
@Whitelightning777 I admire your tenacity, however I just feel I need to comment.

I don't care how you provide a proper environment for your tarantulas, or other pets as long as it provides the correct environment. That said you keep coming back to space heaters causing fires. You even made a statement about legality. Last I checked properly manufactured space heaters are legal in all 50 states. Yes because they are often improperly used they can cause fires. However every way you have mentioned using is also a variation of a space heater. Each one can start a fire if the right conditions occur. In fact plugging too many devices into a wall socket causes fires as well.

But that's not why people debate your methods. They are arguing for what has been found over time to be the most effective and safest method to provide heat for a group of animals. That safety is primarily focused on the animals themselves not the home.

For many; micromanaging multiple heating setups over time is not possible and can lead to dead specimens. Because of that there is an avoidance of the methods you choose to employ. Like I said, I don't care how you do things as long as the result is healthy animals. But for you as a newer keeper yourself to tell others including other new keepers that your way 100% safe is irresponsible.

I'm not even going to get into the electrical draw a collection would require with lighting, tape, pads, etc. Or, the cost of bringing a room up to code to deal with it.

For large numbers of them, my method makes no sense. If you have a small number of cages and can't just spare an entire room of your home, it's best to do it cage by cage.

Besides, say you did 30 or 50 cages, that heat would also blow off and heat the entire room anyway.

My concern is that someone with, say, just 5 or 6 animals is being led to think that they have to heat up an entire room of the home or do nothing.

Actually, the ultimate setup would be some sort of green house. Without land however, that's being my means as well.

I wonder why there aren't more discussions of heat cabinets etc. The video I did clearly lays out the drawbacks as well as the advantages.

For many many people, micro managed crystal clear enclosures where the tarantula can be watched is the most practical way to go.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
I never said they were, just that the option exists.
I have my own way using heat mats (been doing so 4 ages and its fine) i use aquaruim(converted )tanks lined on all sides except floor with expanding foam /gorilla glue /irish peat moss &cork bark also trixie terraruim moss.the heat mat is inside tank! Sealed in with foam on top of wooden bearers and closed off with 2mm perspex heat comes thru fine .been doing this ages for true t blondi !

esa space station

Arachnoknight
I have my own way using heat mats (been doing so 4 ages and its fine) i use aquaruim(converted )tanks lined on all sides except floor with expanding foam /gorilla glue /irish peat moss &cork bark also trixie terraruim moss.the heat mat is inside tank! Sealed in with foam on top of wooden bearers and closed off with 2mm perspex heat comes thru fine .been doing this ages for true t blondi !
Ive never had a problem with heat mats im not a newbie either and understand the implications of such a scenario but in my exp(10-15 yr) its most pratical way .if i had a room full a space heater would be better etc to each their own .arguments for and against dos and donts yes they do grow quicker.at elevated temps humidity etc and always been very healthy 20181020_180423.jpg 20181020_172939.jpg

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I keep all my Ts at around 72-73 degrees Fahrenheit even my C. lividum. Never have had an issue in 3+ years of T keeping. They all keep molting and all keep eating and growing. I could keep my Cobalt Blue a little warmer, but why mess with something that is working. I've raised 2 slings to adult and sub adult, and I have a B hamorii sling that has molted 3 times for me since April. Leave the heat mats to the reptiles that really need the extra warmth. Most Ts seem to do just fine in the low to mid 70s. Even tropical ones like my C. lividum. They use their burrows or crevices in trees to thermoregulate when Temps outside are not optimal.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
This thread probably shouldn’t be revived, it’s already enough of a train wreck as is. Anyways I’m sick of people saying you should heat the temps in your enclosure to the temps in their natural habitat, last time I checked they dig deep burrows to escape the heat which can be over 45 degrees celsius here (over 110 degrees Fahrenheit)

Status
Not open for further replies.