Amazing new Ceratogyrus

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
https://africaninvertebrates.pensof...9fxwwdJfH2SA_a7BzRdmtNaWCrNrsx7RBIESV3QCS9I84

It's finally here and we have excellent photos included in it- I'm floored to finally be able to see the species in greater detail with a description attached. The horn is SOFT, unlike the other members of the genus, what a bizarre adaptation.

Welcome Ceratogyrus attonitifer!

I also appreciate the end of the paper- "The specific locality details of the new records are redacted from this publication due to concerns that they may facilitate illegal collecting for the pet trade"

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Looks more like a long flap then a horn, thats one strange looking spider.

To all of those who are unsettled by the other known horned tarantulas, this one will give you nightmares lol.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
woah! that horn is massive! this genus just gets easier to love by the day!

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
The white stripe on the abdomen's ventral is interesting. Not so common in T's. And that horn looks like a floppy hat.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I would love to see this spider molting. Would be very interesting to see the horn come out white :D

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Something about that "horn" makes me want to squeeze it.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
This to me looks super gross and it kind of makes my skin crawl. Looks a bit like it’s walking around with a gentleman sausage on it. Sorry, but that’s what I think of first when I look at it. This is probably the first and only T I actually dislike.

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Awesome! When you think you have seen it all something new is found and it surpasses anything you thought possible

Great looking T, i wonder if this is to aid suction of juices from their prey or to hold water for times of drought!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Finally, now I can believe this is actually a real T.

I have the GPS coordinates in my phone to find these.