Amazing new Ceratogyrus

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Too bad to be known for a new and very unique characteristic, but that characteristic not being cool. You know, for instance a mace-like horn to subdue prey or enemies, or a horn that could be propelled from its body and pierce sheet metal. It’s like the mutant girl on X-men who screams, what a lame superpower. I apologize, I had nothing substantive to say but had some down time and just wanted to open my heart to my peeps.

Last edited:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Someone beat you to it, but good try!
Yea haha I knew I should have checked my news feed yesterday. However, we have a new species in Australia that lives nearly entirely underwater, so hopefully I'll be the first for that (I think next Sunday there's a documentary that includes them in it so I'll learn a bit more then).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea haha I knew I should have checked my news feed yesterday. However, we have a new species in Australia that lives nearly entirely underwater, so hopefully I'll be the first for that (I think next Sunday there's a documentary that includes them in it so I'll learn a bit more then).
Let's see that! A T, way cool.

Inktomi2

Arachnopeon
Is this a whole new breed of spider or possibly just a mutation?

Now its been awhile since bio class, isn't a mutation a random event or would that gene carry on to the next gen? Then that more of an evolutionary process.

I don't see the benefit of having a soft horn, unless, it fills while air so the species achieves a type of bouyancy. Letting it float in the water or "gasp" longer jumping range.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Is this a whole new breed of spider or possibly just a mutation?

Now its been awhile since bio class, isn't a mutation a random event or would that gene carry on to the next gen? Then that more of an evolutionary process.

I don't see the benefit of having a soft horn, unless, it fills while air so the species achieves a type of bouyancy. Letting it float in the water or "gasp" longer jumping range.
You mean species, not breed. Breeds are dogs, where every breed is the same species (Canis lupus familiaris) , whereas all tarantulas are different species (Brachypelma hamorii, Brachypelma vagans, etc.). And yes, this is a new species - after its initial discovery back in 2015/2016, actual scientists have determined that enough to give it a described name, Ceratogyrus attonitifer. They don't just give a species description to a one-off fluke mutation such as growing a second abdomen or being a gynandromorph.

No, this is not some random mutation, as several females with the same feature have been collected. The best theory for purpose of the horn that I can think of is possibly the same as it is in other horned Ceratogyrus sp., where from what I understand it aides the sucking stomach.