A chalcodes stress

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Ok folks, I added substrate and got some better pictures of her hiney. As you can see, her abdomen is significantly more plump than in my first picture, which was taken right after I got her 3 minutes moths ago. Also, it does appear that she has a slightly darker patch, so premolt may be the culprit. Hopefully she'll molt soon and I can continue fattening her up.
If that's a bare spot I'm seeing in the middle photo just above the spinnerets, then I'd definitely say premolt. That spot looks like pretty dark to me. I had already assumed that she was heavier than the the photo from when you first got her, but it's nice to have that confirmed with visual evidence. Lol

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Am I just seeing things? I could swear that it looks like there's a dark bare patch on the abdomen in the middle photo of the most recent post
I'm definitely seeing a dark patch, too. It shows up better in person than in a photo.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
If that's a bare spot I'm seeing in the middle photo just above the spinnerets, then I'd definitely say premolt. That spot looks like pretty dark to me. I had already assumed that she was heavier than the the photo from when you first got her, but it's nice to have that confirmed with visual evidence. Lol
Yep, that's a bare spot. You can see it even better in person.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted on whether or not she molts :)
Yeah :) you are lucky to have her, I bought 4 unsexed chalcodes that are 4inch but unsexed and I'm waiting for them to molt so I can have hopefully one female..

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Yeah :) you are lucky to have her, I bought 4 unsexed chalcodes that are 4inch but unsexed and I'm waiting for them to molt so I can have hopefully one female..
Thanks! I love her. I got her for a killer price, too. She's so fun to watch.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Hope you have at least one, too!

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Well, I just checked on her and she's curled up tight propped up against the corner against the wall of her tank and almost non responsive. It certainly doesn't look like she's trying to molt. I'm afraid she's dying. What are your thoughts on T ICU for desert species?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What are your thoughts on T ICU for desert species?
Don't. ICUs are really just for extreme dehydration, and even then, people question their utility.

Place a water dish right next to her.

When tarantulas get so dehydrated they won't drink from a dish, some people flip them over and drip water into their mouths.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Don't. ICUs are really just for extreme dehydration, and even then, people question their utility.

Place a water dish right next to her.

When tarantulas get so dehydrated they won't drink from a dish, some people flip them over and drip water into their mouths.
Ok. Thanks. I'll move her dish and try to drop her some water.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Ok. Thanks. I'll move her dish and try to drop her some water.
Alright. I drop fed her water and moved her dish. She's extremely weak :( I'm going to let her be now and pray for the best. She was wild caught (as most a chalcodes are, of course) so I have no idea of her health history

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Alright. I drop fed her water and moved her dish. She's extremely weak :( I'm going to let her be now and pray for the best. She was wild caught (as most a chalcodes are, of course) so I have no idea of her health history
Any updates? How is she doing?

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Any updates? How is she doing?
Thanks so much for asking! I dropped her some more water this morning and again tonight. She seemed worse, but then she started to struggle a bit near the end of tonight's water session. She hasn't struggled at all until now, so, I'm going to take that as a good sign. It's still certainly very touch and go, though, so I'm not trying to get my hopes up.
I'm glad I have you folks, though. If nothing else you can understand my stress and sadness over a spider. I love my 8 legged babies so much. :(