1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A chalcodes stress

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by RemyZee, Sep 6, 2017.

1. RemyZee

RemyZee Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    Advertisement
    Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here. I've been keeping T's for 2 years and currently have 14 gorgeous fuzzbutts :)
    One of my girls, a 4 inch A Chalcodes has started showing some signs of stress over the last few days. I did some tank maintenance a couple days ago, and I think that may have set her off. She is sitting still most of the time with her legs tucked close in around her. She is also occasionally kicking hairs (which she hasn't done in the 3 months I've had her). She will get up and move around, though, and her abdomen is still nice and fat.
    I plan to move her into my closet for a darker area, and possibly add a second hide. But again, since I think messing around in her enclosure set her off in the first place, I don't want to be more intrusive than I have to be. She may also be in premolt as she has not eaten in two weeks, but since I've only had her 3 months I can't really say if this is her normal premolt routine or not, and her abdomen is not showing any outward signs of premolt.
    Anyway, I'm sure you very knowledgeable folks on here have some additional suggestions for me, which I would very much appreciate:)
    Please excuse me if I am posting this query in the wrong section, or if there are a thousand other identical posts. I'm not overly adept at navigating this forum quite yet.

--Rachael

2. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoknight Active Member

How much maintenance? You really shouldn't need to do anything besides taking out food remnants and cleaning poop. Any more than that will just stress her out. If you messed around too much, it's almost like giving her a new home altogether. That would easily cause a stress curl for at least a few days, up to a few weeks. But I apologize if I'm jumping to conclusions.

Also, pics of the enclosure would help

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

A. chalcodes should be kept bone dry. I actually hate that term - "bone dry" - because so few tarantulas thrive on truly no humidity. This is one of the few that does. So if curling is your issue, be sure that it has a water dish and no other source of humidity. No need for a second hide... this species hardly uses a first hide. I also doubt that your minimal maintenance is what set her off. Even very defensive species get over intruders within hours at most.

I'd suspect premolt. This is not a species that readily kicks other than laying down a carpet shortly before a molt. You provided some great info for us to work with, but pictures are worth a thousand words :) Of the spider and the entire enclosure, please!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. RemyZee

USA
    Thanks Pidder :)
    I just removed cricket remnants and cleaned out her water bowl. But, she is very curious, so I did need to scoot her around once or twice when she came over to "see" what was going on. I'll post pictures later today, but she is in a larger critter keeper with coco fiber, a cork tube hide (which she uses often), and a large pill bottle cap for her water bowl.

5. RemyZee

USA
    Thanks a bunch! Will post pictures later today.

6. RemyZee

USA
    IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0987.JPG Ok, here are some pictures. She's in a large critter keeper with coco fiber. She's moving slow this morning. The top picture is one of her about a week after I got her, so you can compare color, stance, etc. As you can see, she's quite a looker. :)

7. RemyZee

USA
    As I'm looking at my pictures, I'm noticing that she does appear to have a dark spot on her abdomen, so maybe premolt is the cause after all.

8. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

Montreal
    There's a little too much height in that enclosure for a heavy bodied terrestrial, especially on the end near her water dish. A fall from the top could be fatal, add a couple more inches of substrate, other then that the enclosure looks good.

9. RemyZee

USA

Thanks a million! I was actually just thinking that I should add more sub. Do you think I should do it now, or wait til she's out of her funk? I don't want to stress her even more, you know? Then again, I want her to be safe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    That abdomen is definitely not fat. She looks quite hungry. I know she's been refusing food, but she's pretty thin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. RemyZee

USA
    Ok. Any tips to get her to eat again?

12. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Make sure she has water at all times and keep offering food at normal intervals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. RemyZee

USA
    Ok. Will do. I really like this girl. Hope she pulls through. Thanks again!

14. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

Montreal
    Sooner the better, once it's done leave her be for a good week or two with minimal disturbances. Then you can try feeding again, she should be fine until then.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoknight Active Member

That little bit of maintenance shouldn't be the culprit. Everybody else already gave you some sound advice (more substrate, dry substrate), other than that your setup seems fine. I do think she looks a bit thin in the first picture, but I also think I see that dark spot on her abdomen that you mentioned in the last photo, so I'm not sure. Any chance you can get a picture that better shows the possible dark spot on her abdomen?

• Like Like x 1
  16. RemyZee

USA
    Sounds good. I'll take care of it after I get home from work tonight.

17. RemyZee

USA
    I'll try for a better picture when I add substrate tonight.

18. RemyZee

USA
    Ok folks, I added substrate and got some better pictures of her hiney. As you can see, her abdomen is significantly more plump than in my first picture, which was taken right after I got her 3 minutes moths ago. Also, it does appear that she has a slightly darker patch, so premolt may be the culprit. Hopefully she'll molt soon and I can continue fattening her up.

Attached Files:

19. RemyZee

USA
    Lol! By "3 Mimi moths" I mean 3 months! :-D

20. RemyZee

USA
    Let me also add that she is significantly more active tonight and is more apt to stretch out her legs.