Zilla jungle mix

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Found this stuff at my LPS today, dirt cheap (hehe) and says it contains a mix of peat moss and aged Douglas fir bark. Never seen Douglas fir as an ingredient in substrate before so I wanna make sure it's safe. Thanks!

cold blood

Staff member
I used to use it back in the day. Looks nice, but normally pretty expensive...i think it was 7 or 8 bucks for a 2 quart bag.

Its fine if you have species kept on dry, but my experience was similiar to above....add moisture for any length of time and it can mold up quickly. Top soil is "dirt" cheap though all the time.:astonished:

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Every place I've gone to has been sold out of the coco fiber, my usual go to. Saw this for half the price and thought why not.
I'm guessing it's a bad idea for a C. albostriatum then? :p
Anyway, thanks for the info.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have an Amazon prime account, so shipping is always free. (hate going into stores) I just point and click ;)

Kayis

Arachnopeon
I also hate going into stores and the prices are usually ridiculous. Amazon is also my go to for most things but in the case of coco fiber bricks I order them with my dog/cat food. Currently have a surplus of them as well in my closet. Think they were like $3.99 versus amazons 10$.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Every place I've gone to has been sold out of the coco fiber, my usual go to. Saw this for half the price and thought why not.
I'm guessing it's a bad idea for a C. albostriatum then? :p
Anyway, thanks for the info.
When, rarely happens, I need coco fiber the local hydroponic store always has it in stock. Real cheap too, a 12"X12"X4" brick is $6.
All my Cyriopagopoeus species have topsoil as their substrate. Easy to keep moist without mold problems, $1.50 for a 40 lb. bag. Enclosure weight is not a big concern, a "happy" T is.