Zebra Tarantula?

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bought a T. sold as Zebra Tarantula but she sheems to be very brown ...could it be that she is just too young or is there a brown color form?And when I say brown I mean like Almost Beige

Inverts02

Arachnopeon
Was your Tarantula named a "True Zebra" Tarantula? If so its just a A Seemani I got 2 of mine at petco and they were called "True Zebras" which they werent. Its just a fluke name to get some attention so someone will buy them. But I ended up with a male and a female one more molt and the male should be mature so thanks petco!!!!

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here are pics of my Zebra sling (A.seemanni). I bought it from Tarantula Canada.com. I'm sure it's a zebra. It has since molted and I'm unable to take a pic because it's always hiding!:mad:

Hope it helps.:D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A seemani which is often called "Costa Rican Zebra" or "Zebra Knee" changes color pretty dramatically with their molt phases. When they need a molt they're pretty mauch just brown and the leg striping is barely visible.

It's likely that this is the species you have but a pic would be needed to really know.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Was your Tarantula named a "True Zebra" Tarantula? If so its just a A Seemani I got 2 of mine at petco and they were called "True Zebras" which they werent. Its just a fluke name to get some attention so someone will buy them. But I ended up with a male and a female one more molt and the male should be mature so thanks petco!!!!
Lol, a "true zebra" looks a whole lot more like a stripey pony than a spider. I hear the import laws are pretty tough and Petco won't stock them anyway.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She does change dramatically when she molts and thank you.. I now know it is a A Seemani

ringo3632

Arachnopeon
speaking of A. Seemani... what are their burrowing habits?? mine dug i nice one but i had to change the cage and since then it hasn't even moved anything in the tank in the like 2-3 months that it's been changed. are they active burrowers or is it a little more rare?

the water is also disappearing very rapidly out of one of it's dishes, almost every other night or so. at first i figured it was drinking it but then i noticed when the bowl is empty his/her little webbed area is soaked? and i keep the tank fairly humid so that shouldn't be a problem..

just seemed a little weird... if any one has an explanation it'd be appreciated:D !

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine has a hole near her water and another hole freshly made. That's it. I didn't see any other holes. I think there is one for her and one for an emergency exit...(kidding) :p ;)

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I found that mine also has two holes....One she uses and one she doesnt.. but she always digs two. Does anyone know why?

Inverts02

Arachnopeon
IDK about where you are but the petco near me carries all sorts of different T's. They carry B Smithi,A Seemani or called it a "true zebra*... they also have T Blondi's,A Avics,OBT's, cobalt blues and rose hairs. They also started carrying pastel ball pythons,blood pythons,carpet pythons and burmese which is insane.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IDK about where you are but the petco near me carries all sorts of different T's. They carry B Smithi,A Seemani or called it a "true zebra*... they also have T Blondi's,A Avics,OBT's, cobalt blues and rose hairs. They also started carrying pastel ball pythons,blood pythons,carpet pythons and burmese which is insane.
wish my petco would carry some of that. they dont even have rats. they aint had squat in 1 yr. if you dont count that one ball python

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A. seemani - From my experience these like to burrow and will remain hidden for months at a time. Mine kept two entrances as well, one which it used regularly, and the other was like a trap which crickets would fall into to never exit.

The water dish, check to see any webs may be "wicking" the water into the soil. This is very common.

speaking of A. Seemani... what are their burrowing habits?? mine dug i nice one but i had to change the cage and since then it hasn't even moved anything in the tank in the like 2-3 months that it's been changed. are they active burrowers or is it a little more rare?

the water is also disappearing very rapidly out of one of it's dishes, almost every other night or so. at first i figured it was drinking it but then i noticed when the bowl is empty his/her little webbed area is soaked? and i keep the tank fairly humid so that shouldn't be a problem..

just seemed a little weird... if any one has an explanation it'd be appreciated:D !

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think he meant the zebra {D

My A. seemani was an avid burrower. He made a burrow underneath his water dish and refused to let me near it :wall: Had to put a second water dish in.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Almost forgot, when I got mine at about 2", the underside of the abdomen and spinerettes were a peach colour, and the rest of the spider was a greyish blue.

SlaytanicArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive got 2 and i tell you they are the worst burrowers ive ever seen, they dig like crazy but they dont web up their burrows. i gave up and just put some pvc piping in the peat half way filled, they dug that out and are quite happy

sydward

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, i bought one labled strip knee...i didnt think that it was cuz of how tan it was...i brought it home...put it in an IVU because it was so dehydrated it walked like a drunk bum. it turned from light tan to olive and a month later(just a few weeks ago) molted and is noe dark grey with cream hair! and is doing much much better now! but you pics of that sling look like my little king baboon. hmm...haha, sling are goofy! and mine diggs like crazy!

ringo3632

Arachnopeon
A. seemani - From my experience these like to burrow and will remain hidden for months at a time. Mine kept two entrances as well, one which it used regularly, and the other was like a trap which crickets would fall into to never exit.

The water dish, check to see any webs may be "wicking" the water into the soil. This is very common.
i checked and there was some of the web going into the dish. i never noticed it before because it was wet and barely visible...