Zebra Rump?

RoseT

Arachnosquire
I was at the local pet shop today and saw they had what was labeled a "Zebra rump spider"....

Never heard of such thing...Anybody know about this sp?, If so can direct me to some photos. Thanks.

Ive done a google search and found nothing. :(

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It could be anything with chevrons or a striped abdomen...
Get them to get it out and have a look!

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
The LPS here has a "zeba rump" too.I hate when pet stores lable T's like that.It's likely Cyclosternum fasciatum.

jimip

Arachnosquire
thats an awsome t

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

maybe they just didnt have a common name for Metriopelma zebratum? i know pet stores make up there own names for things they have no clue what are

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cyclosternum pentalore

C. fasciatum (Costa Rican Tiger Rump) is very unlikely to be in the hobby due to the restrictions of Costa Rica. Its far more likely to be C. pentalore as they look very similar. C. fasciatum was moved to Davus fasciatus in 2005 but is still advertised as its former name. I believe C. pentalore was also moved to D. pentalore but I believe its not agreed upon by everyone. D. pentalore is from Guatemala and are often referred to as Tiger Rump Doppelganger.
I have kept one of these for nearly 2 years and whilst its a beautiful, docile species, which doesnt grow very large, it has a habit of disappearing for months. When I originally bought it it was on show in the shop, during the car journey home and during the the first day of keeping it. It then disappeared under the substrate for 2 months! Other people I've talked to have had similar experiences and that disappearing act has happened 3 times since I've had it.
Easy to look after, mostly on off-dry substrate with a monthly saturating of the substrate. Mine lives in a coconut shell and eats very little, but always seems to have a big abdomen. Never seen a threat pose and never seen anything but a graceful, docile spider.
Metriopelma zebratum is a smaller dwarf species but you can also find Cycriocosmus leetzi from Venezuela which also is also considered as a tiger rump.

C. pentalore:

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Cyclosternum pentalore

C. fasciatum (Costa Rican Tiger Rump) is very unlikely to be in the hobby due to the restrictions of Costa Rica.
I have a pair of C. fasciatums. I would think there are some CB populations around. I bought a T at a local pet store that they just said was a "zebra" spider - turns out to be a pink zebra Beauty (E. campestrasus) (Sp?) Sorry can't type straight - all muzzy headed.

Marga

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Well I found out what it was..

acanthogonatus vilches Not a T but a true spider SP?.

Its priced at 30 bucks....Should I go pick it up?...

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I found out what it was..

acanthogonatus vilches Not a T but a true spider SP?.

Its priced at 30 bucks....Should I go pick it up?...
I figured it was an Acanthogonatus species the first time I read this. I recently picked up an Acanthogonatus sp. at my LPS for 23.99. They aren't true spiders. They are mygalomorphs. Good buy for $30
IMO.