Zebra pillbug ready-made display enclosure?

Ryodraco

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I'm considering starting a zebra pillbug colony for display in my room. I have no experience with isopods, but from everything I've read it seems like this species is pretty easy to keep provided I can figure out that balance of humidity and ventilation.

But from what I've read one issue I've seen is that most recommendations include basically building/altering the enclosure yourself (cutting appropriate sized holes in the top, adding mesh to the holes). I don't really trust my construction skills to look good at all nor to be done correctly. Many recommended enclosures are also plastic/opaque boxes that I wouldn't be able to observe the interior of except by opening the top.

So in short, are there any enclosures on the market that would house this species well, be easy to view into, and provide proper ventilation with minimal or zero tinkering needed to its structure? Or is all this just not a realistic hope for isopod keeping?

A reptile store in my area has these molded, low, long and narrow acrylic enclosures that look nice and are solid except for some holes on the top. They are also quite expensive though so I'd like to know if there are other options or if anyone here has used such enclosures. I can see about getting pictures of these if it helps.

Edit: Apologies, looking over the forum again I now see there is a board for talking about enclosures. But I don't see an option for moving my topic.

Last edited:

Xaratos

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I'm considering starting a zebra pillbug colony for display in my room. I have no experience with isopods, but from everything I've read it seems like this species is pretty easy to keep provided I can figure out that balance of humidity and ventilation.

But from what I've read one issue I've seen is that most recommendations include basically building/altering the enclosure yourself (cutting appropriate sized holes in the top, adding mesh to the holes). I don't really trust my construction skills to look good at all nor to be done correctly. Many recommended enclosures are also plastic/opaque boxes that I wouldn't be able to observe the interior of except by opening the top.

So in short, are there any enclosures on the market that would house this species well, be easy to view into, and provide proper ventilation with minimal or zero tinkering needed to its structure? Or is all this just not a realistic hope for isopod keeping?

A reptile store in my area has these molded, low, long and narrow acrylic enclosures that look nice and are solid except for some holes on the top. They are also quite expensive though so I'd like to know if there are other options or if anyone here has used such enclosures. I can see about getting pictures of these if it helps.

Edit: Apologies, looking over the forum again I now see there is a board for talking about enclosures. But I don't see an option for moving my topic.
Those acrylic containers I have bought from reptile shows /expos for just a few dollars each and I wish I would've bought their entire stock because now I'm splitting up my iso's , I would say go to hobby stores or grocery stores and just use the clear glass terrariums people use for succulents and such or use clear plastic food containers that have the open/close function on top of them. Otherwise it will be hard to find exactly what you want unless you create it yourself, you'll have to settle.

Ryodraco

Arachnopeon
Those acrylic containers I have bought from reptile shows /expos for just a few dollars each and I wish I would've bought their entire stock because now I'm splitting up my iso's , I would say go to hobby stores or grocery stores and just use the clear glass terrariums people use for succulents and such or use clear plastic food containers that have the open/close function on top of them. Otherwise it will be hard to find exactly what you want unless you create it yourself, you'll have to settle.
I'll definitely look into those, but is there a way to tell on sight if they have enough ventilation?

Xaratos

Arachnopeon
I'll definitely look into those, but is there a way to tell on sight if they have enough ventilation?
I would ask someone more knowledgeable, I only keep 5 species and keep them all in air tight containers, most of them I keep misted and very humid but I was told the zebras don't like that so I don't mist them to the point of it being "wet" and I open it to air it out daily.

KDK241

Arachnopeon
I just set up a display enclosure for my zebras yesterday. I used a 2.5 gallon aquarium and a piece of coroplast for the lid. I cut a ventilation hole on one side of the lid and hot glued window screen to it. They seem to enjoy it and a few are almost always visable...I even saw mating today. 20180514_211512-1.jpg 20180514_211512-1.jpg

Attachments

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To be honest, it's really not that complicated at all. Pillbugs and isopods breed in my tanks whether I want them to or not, and I have no special ventilation tricks. In fact, all my vivariums have solid pieces of glass on top, no "air holes" (air circulates around their edges, even if there's no gaps the human eye can see), permanently very moist, and everything thrives in them.

Jayke

Arachnopeon
I've had pretty good luck getting them to grow and breed in just regular tupperware containers, without any ventilation. Humidity stays pretty well without holes, but it gets easier to accidentally overdo it with moisture in the soil, just takes a while to get used to what the good humidity equilibrium is like. Larger containers were easier to maintain, as smaller ones can grow mold slightly easier.
I did use some containers with ventilation holes (like the kind of lids sold with hornworms), but it started attracting fruit flies. It was also harder to get away with putting in better rotting material for the isopods to eat, or use options like fish flakes (both smell up the room).

Have you checked on your local craigslist as well? Sometimes you can come across 2.5, 5, or 10 gallon glass fish tanks with screen tops (or you can buy/make the screen), or you can find a plastic beta/goldfish tank or kit (without filters built in) since sometimes they come with good lids too. You could technically just get away with having a large, open tank. Wouldn't suggest it due to smell + potential unwanted flying guests laying eggs in the substrate, but it is an option if that sort of thing appeals to you.

Though, if you're aiming to get them as display animals, you may be a little disappointed. I only have little over a dozen zebra isopods, I generally have to dig around to find any, and they're rarely out unless it is dark and they are eating (you'll see them more likely if you have larger numbers though.) I see my P. scaber out more often in low lighting, but they still scatter once they're in the light (even indirectly.)
-- I could be super wrong on this one, but I've heard that isopod millipedes tolerate light better. (Though millipedes in generally don't seem quite fond of it) They're also quite larger, so they may be a more obvious/observable display animal if that's what you're aiming for.

Ryodraco

Arachnopeon
Though, if you're aiming to get them as display animals, you may be a little disappointed. I only have little over a dozen zebra isopods, I generally have to dig around to find any, and they're rarely out unless it is dark and they are eating (you'll see them more likely if you have larger numbers though.) I see my P. scaber out more often in low lighting, but they still scatter once they're in the light (even indirectly.)
I was wondering if this would be the case, and I've only had them for a few days so perhaps this will change, but the 14 I got seem quite active regardless of time. There's always at least a few out and often I can count 9 out at a time. The pictures I attached were taken about ten minutes after I turned the light on, they seem to not react much to it at least in the short term.

20180521_132302.jpg

20180521_132342.jpg

I got them in this little set-up that is sold at Bugs in Cyberspace (a tiny aquarium with a custom vent on top). It seems to be working fine so far, though obviously if/when they start breeding I'll need to consider expanding the accommodations.

I've noticed a fair amount of "quarreling," is this normal? That is when they meet the isopods sometimes shove each other, and sometimes one will climb on top for a while while the one below struggles to shake it off. I presume the latter is courting behavior.