Your Tarantula Wishlist?

What is the biggest reason for a species to be on your wishlist and not on your possession list?

• Total voters

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
My current wish list is from 3 years ago, but it's got just under 100 species on it so...not going to post it. I'll just simplify by saying right now, while trying to get my collection going again, I want to acquire some G. iheringi, A number of Pamphobeteus (I'm not even hung up on specific species as far as this genus goes. It's a favorite genus of mine. But I love giant NW tropical terrestrials-- Xenesthis, Phormictopus, Theraphosa, and Acanthoscurria though they don't get quite as big as the former three do.), C. versicolor, and some pokies.

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
Man, I just have so many on my wishlist.

New Worlds:
-B.albopisolum
-B.emilia
-B.hamorii
-G.pulchra
-G.pulchripes

Old Worlds:
-P.murinus
-At least 2 more P.muticus
-H.gigas
-P.smithi

Leila

Arachnobaron
My current wishlist (though I am in no hurry to acquire any of them atm)

Acanthoscurria geniculata
Cyriocosmus ritae
Pachistopelma bromelicola
Pachistopelma rufonigrum
Psalmopoeus irminia
Psalmopoeus pulcher
Psalmopoeus every species
....and pretty much ALL of the arboreals, NW (and OW when I feel good n ready ;))

@Rhysandfish, be sure to post some photos when ya get your T! :D

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
My current wishlist (though I am in no hurry to acquire any of them atm)

Acanthoscurria geniculata
Cyriocosmus ritae
Pachistopelma rufonigrum
Psalmopoeus irminia
Psalmopoeus pulcher
Psalmopoeus every species
....and pretty much ALL of the arboreals, NW (and OW when I feel good n ready ;))

@Rhysandfish, be sure to post some photos when ya get your T! :D
I definitely will. Im so excited for it. Dont know what im getting yet.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I definitely will. Im so excited for it. Dont know what im getting yet.
I cast my vote for Brachypelma albopilosum. Where they lack in vibrant colors, they more than compensate in fluffy adorableness.
Every individual tarantula varies in 'personality,' but my female albo is my most active T, always roaming about. She is never in her hide.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I cast my vote for Brachypelma albopilosum. Where they lack in vibrant colors, they more than compensate in fluffy adorableness.
Every individual tarantula varies in 'personality,' but my female albo is my most active T, always roaming about. She is never in her hide.
Its in my top 3 definitely. I almost bought one a few months ago but i moved so I decided not to get it. My other option would be a B vagans or a G pulchripes.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I will soon get my first T and knowing myself i know I will be hooked so ive made a list lol.
B vagans
B smithi
B albopolipsum
G pulchripes
Phrixotrichus scrofa
Euthalus sp. Red
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
I like all of these T's a fair bit and i think they would make a nice collection, I also want to hear your wishlists so I can engage in a good convo with my fellow arachnoboard users.
I currently have only New World spiders, but I am becoming more interested in Old World species, in part because I am more sensitive to urticating hairs than I anticipated.

What I have:
0.1.0 Avicularia avicularia (pinktoe tarantula)
0.2.0 Grammostola pulchra (Brazilian black tarantula)
1.0.0 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (greenbottle blue tarantula)
0.0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata (whitebanded tarantula)
1.0.0 Dolichothele diamantinensis (Brazilian blue dwarf beauty)
0.1.0 Psalmopoeus cambridgei (Trinidad chevron tarantula)

The following wishlists are for species I don't already have but feel experienced enough to get within the next year:

New World wishlist
  • Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona/desert blond)
  • Aphonopelma seemanni (Costa Rican zebra)
  • Avicularia metallica (metallic pinktoe/whitetoe)
  • Brachypelma albopilosum (curlyhair)
  • Brachypelma emilia (Mexican redleg)
  • Caribena versicolor (Antilles/Martinique pinktoe)
  • Ephebopus murinus (skeleton)
  • Euathlus sp. "red"
  • Hapalopus sp. "Colombia" (pumpkin patch)
  • Neoholothele fasciaaurinigra (bumblebee)
  • Neoholothele incei (Trinidad olive)
  • Nhandu
  • Pamphobeteus
  • Thrixopelma cyaneolum (cobalt red rump)

Old World wishlist
  • Augacephalus ezendami (Mozambique baboon)
  • Ceratogyrus marshalli (straight/great horned baboon)
  • Eucratoscelus pachypus (stout leg baboon)
  • Idiothele mira (blue-foot baboon)
  • Monocentropus balfouri (Socotra Island blue baboon)
Man, I just have so many on my wishlist.

New Worlds:
-B.albopisolum
-B.emilia
-B.hamorii
-G.pulchra
-G.pulchripes

Old Worlds:
-P.murinus
-At least 2 more P.muticus
-H.gigas
-P.smithi
Agreed, Brachypelma are great! :D My first T was a B. hamorii (previously B. smithi) and it's been a treat to watch him grow and see his colors grow more vibrant! I also have an adorable hobby-form B. albopilosum and will be three Nicaraguan B. albopilosum slings from @Exoskeleton Invertebrates next week! :D

Aphonopelma chalcodes
and Euathlus sp. "Red" are also wonderful Ts (not saying the others aren't, but just commenting on what I've had experience with) and I recently got an Idiothele mira sling as my first OW and love watching their unique behavior! :happy: Ephebopus murinus are probably the most skittish Ts I own but not the "pet holes" some people say as the frequently come out of their burrows in the evening in anticipation of super and their burrows are really cool -- love all the webbing -- and sexy T legs, hehe. ;)

Hapalopus
sp. "Columbia" I have mixed feelings about; at first my sling was fascinating to watch as it made cool labyrinthine burrows, was an eager feeder and molted often. But now they have gone months -- maybe even a year? -- hardly eating... They look healthy and their abdomen is large so maybe it's just an veeery long premolt (one of my Aphonopelma has done this but then they're known to do that). I thought I might have overwet the substrate at one point and it just looked a bit funky to me so I recently rehoused them and now I have... a pet container of substrate. o_O:rofl: Seriously, they used webbing and moss to fill the entire container and leave a chamber for themselves in the center (I presume). I'll just have to hope they make a reappearance once they wish to eat again as I don't think I should disturb them further.

My T Wish-list:
Aphonopelma moderatum
Brachypelma boehmei
Brachypelma klassi
Euathlus
sp. "Red"
Monocentropus balfouri
Psalmopoeus irminia
Pseudhapalopus
sp. "Blue"
Xenethis intermedia

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Agreed, Brachypelma are great! :D My first T was a B. hamorii (previously B. smithi) and it's been a treat to watch him grow and see his colors grow more vibrant! I also have an adorable hobby-form B. albopilosum and will be three Nicaraguan B. albopilosum slings from @Exoskeleton Invertebrates next week! :D

Aphonopelma chalcodes
and Euathlus sp. "Red" are also wonderful Ts (not saying the others aren't, but just commenting on what I've had experience with) and I recently got an Idiothele mira sling as my first OW and love watching their unique behavior! :happy: Ephebopus murinus are probably the most skittish Ts I own but not the "pet holes" some people say as the frequently come out of their burrows in the evening in anticipation of super and their burrows are really cool -- love all the webbing -- and sexy T legs, hehe. ;)

Hapalopus
sp. "Columbia" I have mixed feelings about; at first my sling was fascinating to watch as it made cool labyrinthine burrows, was an eager feeder and molted often. But now they have gone months -- maybe even a year? -- hardly eating... They look healthy and their abdomen is large so maybe it's just an veeery long premolt (one of my Aphonopelma has done this but then they're known to do that). I thought I might have overwet the substrate at one point and it just looked a bit funky to me so I recently rehoused them and now I have... a pet container of substrate. o_O:rofl: Seriously, they used webbing and moss to fill the entire container and leave a chamber for themselves in the center (I presume). I'll just have to hope they make a reappearance once they wish to eat again as I don't think I should disturb them further.

My T Wish-list:
Aphonopelma moderatum
Brachypelma boehmei
Brachypelma klassi
Euathlus
sp. "Red"
Monocentropus balfouri
Psalmopoeus irminia
Pseudhapalopus
sp. "Blue"
Xenethis intermedia
I agree about the Euthalus sp red being a great beginners species but I wish they were easier to get! My local exotic pet shop has about 200 slings but 0 of them. WHOOF! I like the Hapalopus sp. "Columbia" but as you said its a container of substrate, and that doesnt seem like a fun first T.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I try to keep my list small because of time and space, I'm also more into OW Ts...

My list is...

H Maculata
M Balfouri
C Lividus

But I'm gonna wait to get these as they will be a challenge. I'd like to get into more NW Ts as well though, there are some beautiful ones.

Oh and my collection right now is...

P Vittatta
P Murinis
P Muticus
GBB (Forgot how to spell it lol)

This list doesn't include my gfs two Ts which are a P Cam and a rosehair.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
C. versicolor.
A sp Columbia
A. rufus (formerly juruensis)
Omothymus schioedtei
* Stromatopelma calceatum *

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Have:

Aphonopelma chalcodes
Avicularia avicularia
Brachypelma albopilosum (3)
Brachypelma boehmei
Brachypelma emilia
Caribena versicolor
Davus pentaloris
Euathlus Sp. red
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Grammostola rosea (RCF)
Lasiodora klugi
Nhandu tripepii
Pamphobeteus platyomma
Pterinopelma sazimai (2)

Want:

Brachypelma auratum
Brachypelma albiceps
Grammostola iherengi

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I like the Hapalopus sp. "Columbia" but as you said its a container of substrate, and that doesnt seem like a fun first T.

I wouldn't recommend a "pet hole" as a first tarantula, since most new keepers want to see their spiders more than once in a blue moon. However, once you have some other tarantulas (that you can observe more reliably), a burrower may add some interesting variety.

Fans of burrowers sometimes say that when they do see their tarantulas, it feels more special because of the rarity.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
My wish list:

Brachypelma baumgarteni as many I can possibly obtain from the Mexico Import.
Why as many as you can get? Do you suspect current CB are unhealthy or have been outcrossed? Or do you just REALLY love B. baumgarteni? :p

Last edited:

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
The next ones up on my list are:
Avicularia minatrix (or purpurea if I can find them)
Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma emilia
Brachypelma hamorii
Phormictopus cancerides
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Psalmopoeus irminia

Once I feel ready for old world, my first will likely be:
Idiothele mira
Monocentropus balfouri
Poecilotheria bara

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't have a wishlist anymore I did and it looked like this
Acanthoscurria ferina
Aphonopelma chalcodes
Aphonopelma gabeli
Aphonopelma sp montane
Avicularia braunshauseni
Avicularia sp colombia
Avicularia metallica
Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma auratum
Brachypelma emilia
Brachypelma harmorii
Brachypelma kahlenbergi
Brachypelma klaasi
Brachypelma schroederi
Brachypelma smithi
Brachypelma verdezi
Chromatopelma cyaneopubesens
Crypsidromus puriscal
Cyclosternum schmardae
Cyriocosmus leetzi
Cyriocosmus sellatus
Davus pentaloris
Euathlus sp red
Euathlus parvulas
Eucratoscelus pachypus
Eupalaestrus weijenberghi
Grammostola actaeon
Grammostola anthracina
Grammostola grossa
Grammostola iheringi
Grammostola pulchripes
Grammostola pulchra
Hapalopus triseriatus
Heterothele villosella
Lasiodorides polycuspulatus
Megaphobema robustum
Neoholothele incei
Pamphobeteus machalla
Pamphobeteus sp mascara
Pamphobeteus nigricolor
Phormictopus cochleasvorax
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Pseudhapalopus sp blue
Theraposhinae sp cuzco
Thrixopelma sp cajamarca
Thrixopelma cyaneolum
Thrixopelma lagunas
Thrixopelma pruriens
Vitalius sorocabae
This was my list and ive acquired them all in a little over 4 years I've been back in the hobby. I think when I have more time I'll start working on another list.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why as many as you can get? Do you suspect current CB are unhealthy or have been outcrosses? Or do you just REALLY love B. baumgarteni? :p
Haha! B. baumgarteni is my all time favourite species in the word. If I ever hatched them I would keep every single babies and sell off my other tarantulas just to keep that species in my collection.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't recommend a "pet hole" as a first tarantula, since most new keepers want to see their spiders more than once in a blue moon. However, once you have some other tarantulas (that you can observe more reliably), a burrower may add some interesting variety.

Fans of burrowers sometimes say that when they do see their tarantulas, it feels more special because of the rarity.
Yeah i can agree with that.