Your Suggested First OW Species

athlete96

Arachnosquire
Let me start off by saying I'm in no position to actually be owning an OW. Total beginner here, and I'm just starting my collection. I have a curiosity that I just can't itch.

I want to know from the experienced keepers out there. What OW would you recommend as a jump off point into OW, and why? What species would you say to avoid until you've got years of OW experience, and why? What are your do's and don'ts with any OW (such as husbandry, feeding, etc)?

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I have only one, a P. vittata. I could not have asked for a better first OW (for me, anyway). I'm strictly an observer and don't like to startle any of my Ts. If the Pokie is out and I need to drop food or add water or whatever, I either wait until it retreats or I tap the enclosure to give her a minute to get to her hide.

I don't know for a fact because my Pokie was 4" or so when I got her, but it may be easier to start your OW experience with a sling. That would allow you to see it grow and learn its attitude and behavior as opposed to jumping into a grown spider you know nothing about. Not saying that smaller OWs aren't fast, etc., but I feel like that would help with your confidence of keeping an OW. The only downside to that is that you'd likely have to rehouse it a few times along the way. If you're uncomfortable with OWs, rehousing is going to be a nightmare.

As far as husbandry, I think that's going to vary from T to T. Pokies are different from OBTs which are different from Cyriopagopus.

As far as making the leap from NW to OW, most would likely recommend a P. cambridgei. They're quick arboreals, but without urticating hairs. I don't have one, but they are beautiful, good eaters, pretty good growers, and sometimes like to stay out of their hides on display.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
My first OW was a S. calc. Not reccomended, but it has never given me any trouble. Whatever you decide on getting, my suggestion is just to make sure it has lots of hides/anchor points. That makes them much easier to deal with for me. Once they have established their hide/burrow, they generally dart into it when opening the container instead of running out.

I was really skittish to get my first OW too. I started out by getting a P. irminia since they are NW but would get me used to quicker and more potent Ts, and taking care of it was no harder for me than taking care of my Avics. Same with my S. calc. They just hide in their burrows while I do any cage maintenance and give me no trouble.
The only time you may have trouble is when rehousing, but when I rehouse I use a bag method so the T is never uncontained.
That's just my experience, I only own 2 OW Ts right now though.

athlete96

Arachnosquire
I do have a P. pulcher, and I know the entire genus is meant to be the stepping stone but uh... I think mine's broken. It was super skittish at first, and it would flinch when I moved the enclosure. When I open the enclosure now it calmly walks up, sits on its cork bark, and expects to be fed. It's currently in premolt (I believe) so it hasn't moved from a web hammock it's made, but this one is easier going than my N. chromatus sling.

Thank you both for the replies. It's interesting hearing all of the OWs I haven't thought about. I won't be getting one for at least a year; I want the ones I have now to reach another couple of inches, and dip my toes into p. irminia and p. cambridgi first (if I ever get a freaking reply).

cold blood

Staff member
A. ezendami

C. marshalli

But there are NWs that should come first. For arboreals, nothing beats a P. cambridgei

For a terrestrial, well the speed of N. incei is a great t to preceed your first OW terrestrial.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
In my opinion it's good to start with a fossorial species. The Ceratogyrus genus is commonly recommended here, because they aren't quite as quick as some of the other OWs (but still fast compared to most NW terrestrials), and they are fairly interesting with their horns (minus C. meridionalis and a few others which lack the horn). Monocentropus balfouri is another good option as far as temperament, colour, and potential communal aspects. But I like Idiothele mira, which is what I would personally recommend. The burrow and then have trap doors. Their hunting method is unique and very interesting to me. And they have cute blue feet. The last feeding of mine had a ripple along the substrate à la the movie "Tremors" as the spider moved under the trap before legs popped out and snared the poor unsuspecting worm.

As long as you give them plenty of substrate to build a burrow, they'll always head there when disturbed rather than trying to dash out. Similar to what @BC1579 noted, as long as they can set up a home they are comfortable with, they will be less prone to bolting. Not a hard rule, but you're improving chances.

athlete96

Arachnosquire
For a terrestrial, well the speed of N. incei is a great t to preceed your first OW terrestrial.
Yes, mine has certainly proven its speed. Good thing it's lovely to look at - when it's not zooming for a meal.

In my opinion it's good to start with a fossorial species. The Ceratogyrus genus is commonly recommended here, because they aren't quite as quick as some of the other OWs (but still fast compared to most NW terrestrials), and they are fairly interesting with their horns (minus C. meridionalis and a few others which lack the horn). Monocentropus balfouri is another good option as far as temperament, colour, and potential communal aspects. But I like Idiothele mira, which is what I would personally recommend. The burrow and then have trap doors. Their hunting method is unique and very interesting to me. And they have cute blue feet. The last feeding of mine had a ripple along the substrate à la the movie "Tremors" as the spider moved under the trap before legs popped out and snared the poor unsuspecting worm.

As long as you give them plenty of substrate to build a burrow, they'll always head there when disturbed rather than trying to dash out. Similar to what @BC1579 noted, as long as they can set up a home they are comfortable with, they will be less prone to bolting. Not a hard rule, but you're improving chances.
I. mira is one on my list that I have to have. I may start with that. Thanks for the information.

cold blood

Staff member
The Ceratogyrus genus is commonly recommended here, because they aren't quite as quick as some of the other OWs
That's not quite accurate. Ceratogryus are very fast, make no bones about it. The reasons they are frequently suggested is because they aren't bolty or spooky....not a very skittish species. So its not that they aren't fast, its that they are less inclined to show it off.

I. mira is one on my list that I have to have. I may start with that
Now mira is great...but if you are getting a first so that you can learn from it for future ows, its an absolutely terrible choice IMO...as its completely impossible to learn from a spider you don't see. Unbelievably cool species without question, but in reality you can just get a jar of dirt and write I. mira on the outside.

People will chime in saying that there's is always out...this is the exception to the rule and not something to expect even remotely....especially as it grows.

athlete96

Arachnosquire
Hahaha! See this is why I like preparing myself with other's experiences. I like my pet holes.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
GBBs are quick as well. Might be a good stepping stone also. Plus I love GBBs. Their heavy webbing isn’t for everyone but they’ve got awesome colors and are usually great eaters.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's not quite accurate. Ceratogryus are very fast, make no bones about it. The reasons they are frequently suggested is because they aren't bolty or spooky....not a very skittish species. So its not that they aren't fast, its that they are less inclined to show it off.
Yeah, until 'you' don't have to move/transfer/rehouse those from their lovely 'J' shaped burrows :angelic:

How much amazing are those horned spooders?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The Goddess* and 'you' can't go wrong. Of all OW's the Goddess* is of best :angelic:

*0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
People will chime in saying that there's is always out...this is the exception to the rule and not something to expect even remotely....especially as it grows.
View media item 45963
:troll:

Jokes aside, it's a very good point that it's hard to learn from a species that can't even be considered a pet hole - you'd need a visible hole for that. As nice as it is to see my T, I was really excited to witness trapdoor behavior...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What was your first OW?
An half Lazio (from Roma city, I mean) half Calabria (Mommy's side) girlfriend.

Jealous as hell, hot blooded (a 'Pro' in certain circumstances, hands down), sometimes lovely, sometimes annoying, bipolar as hell... basically those are the "OW's" in all honesty I fear much u_u

Italy OW's 0.1 two legged? Give me all the Asian/African Theraphosidae (hissing or not) you want but those are :eek: <-- Eek!

Sana

Arachnoprince
I’m going to start by saying that I adore my pet holes. I’m not a huge fan of rehousing then though. As others have said offering the space and environment necessary for the tarantula to create a retreat generally makes them much easier to work with. There are certainly exceptions within any species as individuals have their own idiosyncrasies. When I say that it’s easier to work with an OW that has a retreat I’m referring to feeding and maintenance. Rehousing is a whole other discussion. In my opinion that is the single most important skill to practice with NWs before you get to OWs.

In regard to good species to start into the OW journey with it depends on several things. Do you prefer terrestrial or arboreal? How often would you like to see more than it’s toes poking out of the hide? Do you prefer larger or smaller species? I can keep going with that if you really need.

I like all of the suggestions @cold blood offered. I have all but one of those species within my own collection. The first OW I had was a P. vittata. I got her at about 2” and I couldn’t have asked for a gentler introduction to OW species. I got lucky with her as she’s less skittish and defensive than half of my NW individuals. She is definitely fast when she feels the need to be but she’s never given me a threat pose. Weirdo pokie. I followed her with C. marshalli and A. ezendami slings (cause I like pet holes). The marshalli were all wonderful if you don’t count learning to rehouse burrowers. The ezendami taught me fast skittish defensive OWs. Teach me to think I could find an individual that conformed to the norms of its species.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
I started with a Chilobrachys fibriatus, and have expanded to a P vitatta, P miranda, C sp 'vietnam blue', P rufilata, and C darlingi. I also would recommend getting used to the New World arboreals. P irminia, cambridgei, and I also would add Iridopelma hirsutum. They're a bit easier than the Psalmopoeus genus, very similar to Avicularia as they build their web tubes the same way, and same type of husbandry, but they have a bit of a temper. I'd stay away from the faster OW arboreals (I'm not ready for that plunge yet anyway) such as the H maculata or C 'hati hati'. From what I can tell they make Pokies seem slow.

But get what you want. It's great that you're doing research now. Make sure you're comfortable with maintenance around your NWs before attempting an OW, or you'll be that much more nervous around them and liable to make a mistake. With the proper research you should do fine with just about anything though :)