Your plant collections?

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
I grow all sorts of carnivorous plants, from the temperate kinds, like Venus Fly Traps and Sarracenia, to tropical/subtropical sundews, Nepenthes (only have two, but now that I have a more dedicated high-land tank, I might try attenboroughii. N. attenboroughii can apparently do well as an intermediate when it is young, which is good because I am not sure what temps are gonna be like in my basement during the summer), even a tuberous sundew and a Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor. Unfortunately, my tuberous sundew doesn't seem to be doing too well, it has slowed down its growth significantly, and is oddly etiolated, despite getting enough light.

I will posts pics of my collection soon.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Looking forward to the pics.
If your basement is in the dirt. No walls exposed to outside weather, the temperature and humidity will only vary about 10% midsummers day to midwinters night. That thar be the reasoning behind aging cheese in underground cellars and caves.

Last edited:

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Sneak peak of one of my plants, not gonna post the full group pic yet because I just ordered some new Nepenthes and I want to include them :)

The simple yet elegant Nepenthes x ventrata

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire

Here are all of the plants that I keep in highland conditions. This includes my South African Drosera: D. binata var. multifida f. extrema, D. slackii, and D. venusta
My South American Drosera: D. latifolia and two D. spiralis (the tall ones, my favorite sundews currently. The one on the right would have another much larger leaf but I took it for cuttings)
Two tropical Australian Drosera: D. prolifera and D. schizandra
Some Nepenthes: N. x ventrata, N. spathulata x singalana, N. macfarlanei, N. peltata, and N. sanguinea
One Heliamphora: H. heterodoxa x minor
A carnivorous Bromeliad: B. reduccta

and some live sphagnum moss :)

Some plants not included in the pic: two Venus Fly Traps and twoSarracenia, but they are dormant right now and don't look too spectacular. I also have two species of pygmy Drosera, but one is making a lot of gemmae and looks kinda gruby. Lastly, I have one tuberous Drosera, D. ramellosa, but I am struggling with growing it and am ashamed to show a picture of it :( Hopefully I will figured it out come spring time before summer dormancy!

Also I use that sippy cup to water my plants, don't ask.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
What a beautiful collection! I think I'm rather jealous :)
I have three D. filiformis and a very small Cephalotus follicularis, all of which are in dormancy at the moment.

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
What a beautiful collection! I think I'm rather jealous :)
I have three D. filiformis and a very small Cephalotus follicularis, all of which are in dormancy at the moment.
Thank you for your kind words! Cephs are something I've been meaning to get into. They definitely are a trial of patience! D. filiformis is definitely my favorite temperate sundew, right next to D. trayci, which is very similar but the main difference is that it doesn't have any red coloration. I plan to get some D. filiformis and D. trayci this spring for my back porch, though when I bought a pot of D. scorpiodes (not shown in any of the pictures) I found sprouts of what appears to be D. filiformis and D. trayci, so I have been feeding them to boost their growth before springtime. The nice thing about the carnivorous plant trade is that you sometimes get bonus plants from seeds that accidentally fall into the pots of other plants. I have tons of unidentified "bonus" sundews in some of my pots (you can see a lot in my D. slackii's pot in the last picture, front right).

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I've heard Heliamphora are pretty slow, also, but yes, my ceph is, I believe, 3 years old and about the size of a silver dollar and only has juvenile pitchers. :/ Hopefully it will grow mature pitchers in the spring.
Though I've never tried growing them myself, I have read that Brocchinia like very high light levels, and that the higher the light levels, the more yellow and erect the plant will appear. See this page: http://www.sarracenia.com/pubs/cpn38-10-11.pdf I think yours will do better with more light.

Benurmanii

Arachnosquire
Yep, even when dircetly under my four T8 bulbs it still is a bit floppy. I'm eventually gonna evict it to the outside of the tank though, as I'm going to run out of room in there soon and B. reducta doesn't really need any extra humidity provided by the terrarium.

BACKWOODS

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I was just curious if anyone here has a plant collection. If so, what species of plants do you have?
I do not have a very large collection myself, but it is growing quickly. It is very additicting (much like tarantulas :biggrin:)

I have the following:

Mammillaria sp. cactus (probably M. marksiana)

Mimicry Plant (Pleiospilos nelii)

About 20 cactus seedlings of various species

What do you guys (and girls) have?
20171226_203641.jpg

BACKWOODS

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I was just curious if anyone here has a plant collection. If so, what species of plants do you have?
I do not have a very large collection myself, but it is growing quickly. It is very additicting (much like tarantulas :biggrin:)

I have the following:

Mammillaria sp. cactus (probably M. marksiana)

Mimicry Plant (Pleiospilos nelii)

About 20 cactus seedlings of various species

What do you guys (and girls) have?
Here is my newest

Attachments